Gay marriage bill given green light

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Gay marriage bill given green light

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Dotsie wrote:As my thread is called "Gay marriage bill given green light", I think it's absolutely the right time to post this :P And it's still a landmark in equal rights, even if there hasn't been a law passed yet.

Joolz wrote:Women bishops!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Wash your brain out you deviant :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Want to hazzard a guess how long it will be before a women pope is elected. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby wicked woman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Good news. :D
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Sensational news :clap: :D .
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Loopyc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:20 am

Good :clap: I don't understand why people get so fired up about this!? There's not enough love in the the world as Ridcully says :P
Loopyc

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Definitely a reason to celebrate!! :D It makes me so angry when people think they get to say whether everyone gets equal rights or not. :evil:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:29 pm

raisindot wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:This thread is rather early. All that has happened is that the bill has passed it's first reading in the House of Lords, which means it simply has been accepted as something to be looked at properly. It still has to be actually examined by both houses, amended and then voted on again. There is at least a year to go before this would actually become law in the UK assuming that it doesn't die or get amended out of recognition on it's way through the process.

Don't you wish they could resurrect Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne and reunite them with Derek Fowlds to make a special Yes, Prime Minister episode on this subject?

Nigel was openly gay and had been in a very stable loving relationship for many years before his untimely death. He would have applauded longer and louder than most. :clap:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 pm

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act (stating that only heterosexual marriages are legal) is unconstitutional! :clap: It's about time. :roll:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 pm

You've got to love the way they name these things. If they called it the Anti Gay Marriage Act it would sound like they were the homophobes they are - Defense of Marriage Act sounds far less sinister. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 pm

I know. :roll: It was really the Let Me Use My Beliefs to Infringe on Your Legal Civil Rights bill. I mean, really, believe what you want. Have whatever rules you want in your places of worship. But no one should be able to use their beliefs to try to take away the legal rights of others. It's disturbing that they are so threatened by others simply being given equal rights. Ok, stopping now before this turns into a long rant. :shifty:
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Catch-up wrote:The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act (stating that only heterosexual marriages are legal) is unconstitutional! :clap: It's about time. :roll:

It's rather ironic that this stupid piece of legislation was originally passed by a Congress, half of whose members are divorced and the other half were probably cheating on their wives (not to mention those who were hustling tricks in bus stations) and signed into law by a president who was impeached for fooling around with an intern.
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:54 pm

:D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:14 pm

I thought this was a done deal years ago - whats the difference between a civil partnership and a marriage? Same thing no?
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby raisindot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm

MongoGutman wrote:I thought this was a done deal years ago - whats the difference between a civil partnership and a marriage? Same thing no?

Not necessarily the same thing. In some states civil unions do grant both parties some or all legal rights (i.e., over property ownership, estates, etc.) and the same benefits (such as healthcare and pensions) as marriages, but in many states only marriages give both parties these rights and benefits. In fact, in many of our redneck states even a common law marriage (i.e., never legally registered) between a hillbilly man and woman has a higher legal standing than a civil union between a same-sex couple that has been documented by every available legal option.
raisindot

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 am

Thought this was a nice pic...

Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:04 am

:D :D :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack