GUILDTY! the Ankh-Morpork Whodunnit Game

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

GUILDTY! the Ankh-Morpork Whodunnit Game

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:33 pm

GUILDTY!

Lord Havelock Vetinari has decided to formalise the body of Guilds and Other Leading Citizens (OLC) spokespersons that ‘help’ him run the city. But there’s a catch - he will only allow 5 representatives into the House of Advisement and there are more than 5 Guilds or similar aspiring organisations of course…

… Two days after the announcement, rivalry reaches fever-pitch as a sometime member of the Alchemists Guild, Jan Van Quirm is found dead from a very nasty bump on the head, slumped over her super-sized mortar, where she had been grinding dried jalapeño peppers in her endless quest for the missing ingredient to the fabled chili-chocolate ice cream. Jan’s pestle is missing…

The murder has all the hallmarks of an Assassin’s Guild sanctioned inhumation – BUT – the Guild produces evidence that they have suspended all Guild & OLC-related contracts in Ankh-Morpork for the duration of the election process. The Watch are now looking at the dire possibility of a non-licenced killer (or killers) who may or may not be linked to the Assassin’s Guild, as the city’s most prominent people are wondering who will be next. Suspicion and paranoia run rampant on the mean streets…

The Disc’s sun slowly rises on Day 1 of the hunt as news of the first killing spreads and speculation is rife amongst the more prominent citizenry as to who is responsible for this heinous crime – and who might be the next unfortunate victim.

Suspicion and anxiety falls particularly upon
cols
Dotsie
theLibrarian
Sjoerd
Bikkit
Crysania
poohcarrot

Additional Clues and Characters (if any are deceased or otherwise disincarnate assume this all happened prior to that!)
Mr. Pin ~ a promising young psychopath who has been refused membership of both the Assassins and the Thieves Guilds on the vague grounds of 'unsuitability'. You are currently setting up shop in Ankh-Morpork as an independent contract killer and are open to all offers for a very modest fee. Every night you prowl the streets or rooftops in search of your secret client's next target...
Mr. Jonathan Teatime ~ (pron. Tay-ah-Tim-ah) a rather too thorough and over-zealous member of the Assassin’s Guild, Lord Downey, the Guild-head has expressed concerns to the Watch over you so you are therefore the subject of surveillance and high up on the list of suspects. This only makes your anti-social mindset even more determined to pull off the ‘impossible’ under the very noses of the Patrician and the Watch. Every night you prowl the streets or rooftops in search of your secret client's next target...
Sgt. Angua ~ As one of Ankh-Morpork’s finest Watch officers, every day you are hot on the trail of the killers. To aid you in doing this, you can take one of the players in for questioning during each night phase. You may not question the same person twice in a row.
You will discover whether or not your choice is a killer, BUT you will not have enough evidence to hold them.
The Librarian ~ As a ‘special’ Watch officer (and a wizard librarian too of course) you have been called in for this crisis situation, assisting the regular officers who are hot on the trail of the killers. Commander Vimes has assigned you to special duties and each night you will choose one of the townspeople you consider most at risk to guard.
Whoever you choose to protect will survive any attempt at assassination for that night only. However, if you’ve chosen a person who also has some ability of their own, then they cannot use that ability for the night you’re protecting them. You cannot choose to protect the same person twice in a row, nor are you immune to attack yourself

THE RULES

1. No arguing with the Narrator in the main thread. All queries, post mortems or requests for elaboration to be done in the What the Hell do I do Now? support thread or by PM if it’s something you cannot discuss in public.

2. When formally voting for someone to be treated as a prime suspect (and taken into safe custody) please make this crystal clear as in
I vote for Mr/Ms X as prime suspect” - or use block capitals etc etc.
Do the same sort of thing if you change you mind and want to vote for someone else or to abstain/withdraw your vote - remember you can chage your vote up to 3 times during each day phase.

3. Make sure you never reveal your true role to anyone (unless you’re a killer in which case you will know who you’re working with) unless the Narrator says you can – else you’ll end up dead or locked up much quicker…

4. Try not to get too upset with what happens once the killings start - it’s a fun game to play so keep it light-hearted. If you do get eliminated you can still take part as a Gawper! - even if you’ve been locked up simply by yelling out of the Watch House windows or talking to fellow suspects.

5. Gawpers you may post during the Day Phases, but you may not vote for anyone

6. No posting during a night phase – Gawpers this means you too!

Day phases: These last between 4 – 7 real time days to allow the players time to post and to vote for a likely suspect to be taken into safe custody. If everyone has voted by the 4th day then the Narrator will close the voting and announce the start of the…

Night phase: These will generally last up to 48 hours to allow all 4 special roles to PM the Narrator with their decisions.

You have been warned!

Further information on gameplay is available HERE in the What the Hell do I do Now? support thread where you can post if you need to do so away from the game thread

Click here to PM Jan
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:50 pm

The Disc’s sun slowly rises on Day 1 of the hunt as news of the first killing spreads and speculation is rife amongst the more prominent citizenry as to who is responsible for this heinous crime – and who might be the next unfortunate victim.

"Blimey! That really did have a kick!" Jan sat up and looked around trying to find her pestle. Her glance fell upon a rather boney toe sticking out from under a night-black robe. She raised her eyes towards a pair of pale glinting blue orbs just visible within the gloomily dark depths of a hood "Oh...! Hello there! You didn't happen to see a large marble pestle lying around anywhere as you came in did you?"
NO. SORRY.
"You know I could've sworn I only put it down beside the mortar..." Jan silently rose from her chair and looked at her worn beechwood workbench. No pestle to be seen. The mortar was still there though. The former alchemist looked down at her still form, blood now oozing slowly down her neck and shoulders onto her mucky blue overalls from the back of her head.
"Ah!"
YES. The Scythe swung silently and painlessly.
"Pity really - it was going really well tonight..."

They walked away from the workbench but no one saw them. The killer was far away by then...

The 1st Day Phase has begun ~ voting for the killer will close at earliest on Friday 30th Oct at the local time displayed in this post (22:50 London)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:12 am

Obviously we're dealing with a sick mind here so it must have been Pooh who did it :wink:

I vote for Poohcarrot as prime suspect
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:17 pm

I like your thinking :lol: But don't you find that it's sometimes the quietest ones who are the worst? Cols is all sweetness & light, hmmm. Hiding something?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:17 pm

It woz Sjoerd wot done it. We all know it was Sjoerd wot done it. Admit it woz you wot done it, Sjoerd!

Have we started yet?

I can't be bothered to read all the rules until we start.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes we have started yet (at least I believe we have :wink: )

and No I didn't do it :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Oh! I'll read the rules tomorrow. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Sjoerd seems in such a hurry to say he's innocent... it's kind of suspicious don't you think? And he is also the first who tried to accuse someone else... maybe he's not as innocent as he proclaims...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Well I just thought lets get started with the game 8) And Pooh is my first suspect :twisted:
And of course I have to protect my innocence. If I didn't say anything maybe people would say aah he doesn't say anything it must be him! get him! :wink:

Edit: Pooh doesn't say anything about him being innocent but he directly accuses me very suspicous I would say :wink:
Sjoerd3000

Postby bikkit » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:20 pm

^Your evplanation seems a bit rushed, also those winks could be hints for your partner in crime to cover up for you.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 pm

yeees... What if they are trying to deceive us, making us think they are against each other, when the truth could be they were working together...
one of them surprised poor Jan and the other smashed her head...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 pm

You're all doing splendidly :lol:

You don't have to decide on who to vote for just yet (you have until next Monday potentially), but if you have then remember you can change your mind - your third vote is your last one though. You may also choose to not vote at this stage (although that can sometimes raise eyebrows unless you explain why) :wink:

Gawpers - you can put your 2 penn'orth of gossip in anytime you like but remember - no voting at all for you!
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Well I find it very suspicious that you two bikkit and CrysaniaMajere are both making me look suspicious. Maybe you two are the killers and trying to let me take the blame. So you can continue with the killing. Maybe I have to change my prime suspect and make one of you my prime suspect.

(look wink free :wink: )
Sjoerd3000

Postby chris.ph » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:27 pm

pooh wouldnt kill jan he wouldnt have the fun of winding her up anymore :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:22 pm

chris.ph wrote:pooh wouldnt kill jan he wouldnt have the fun of winding her up anymore :lol:

Too True, and Sjoerd, you aren't helping your case... :roll:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Next

Return to Games