Why did Planer stop reading Discworld novels?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Why did Planer stop reading Discworld novels?

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 am

The only one I've listened to is a Tony Robinson one, and I felt that all of them sounded like Tony Robinson!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Ditto!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 pm

And another thing (totally off topic) what has Mr Robinson done to deserve a Knighthood?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 pm

He presented Time Team for 20 years. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:45 pm

I love that Baldric got a higher title than Blackadder :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:48 am

He got it as a long time supporter of the Labour Party and a senior union official at Equity. The official citation in the honours list is for public and political service, nothing to do with his acting ability or otherwise.

Wikipedia entry for Tony Robinson wrote:Robinson and his former wife Mary Shepherd were active in Bristol Labour politics from the early 1980s.

From 1996 to 2000, he was vice-president of the actors' union Equity, helping with a huge restructuring programme which turned a £500,000 deficit into a small surplus. He continues to work within Equity. In 2000 he was elected to the Labour Party's National Executive Committee, a position he held to 2004.

He was also active in the "Make Poverty History" campaign during early 2005, in the lead-up to the G8 summit in Scotland, and is the patron for UK-based charity Street Child Africa.

In March 2011, Robinson participated in the 'March for the Alternative' protests in Central London, which opposed the Conservative led Coalition UK Government's spending cuts programme
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pip » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 am

Sounds like he had a cunning plan
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 am

The best part is that he got this honour during the Coalition Government he protested against.

Thanks for that, Mad. I hadn't known that about him, and now I like the guy even more than before. Just wish he'd stop reading the audiobooks though. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The best part is that he got this honour during the Coalition Government he protested against.

Thanks for that, Mad. I hadn't known that about him, and now I like the guy even more than before. Just wish he'd stop reading the audiobooks though. :lol:

Uh, your wish was granted...like twelve years ago, wasn't it? :D
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm

No idea. As far as I was aware, Tony Robinson was still doing the abridged versions. :?
Tonyblack

Postby OcarinaMaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 am

"I agree with you. Planer can do Captain (Sir) Vime like no other, and Nanny Ogg! Perfect! Corporal Detritus also. I don't know. I guess it is just a matter of getting used to Briggs."

I agree with you on all counts. Also, I think Planer does Death the best. The only voice I think Briggs does better than Planer is Lady Sybil. I think Planer made her sound a bit more manly than I'd like her to sound.
Mostly though, I think Nigel Planer has more varied voices for the many characters he portrays when reading the books. I'm on my third round of listening to all the Pratchett books and while Briggs is pretty great...I mean *really* great...especially when compared to just about any other audio book reader other than Planer, I still prefer Planer. I think that so many of Brigg's vocal styles for different characters are the same. He just doesn't have the range that Nigel Planer has, IMO. Also, I hate the way he makes Detritus sound.
However, the narrator that really gets on my nerves...to the point that I simply cannot listen to her, is Celia Imrie.
The reason I'm listening to books, rather than reading them, is because in my occupation, I spend so much time driving. Since reading while being at the wheel is so frowned upon around here, (Can't imagine why. :P) I listen to books. when Celia is simply narrating, she is so soft spoken that I can barely hear her. Then, whenever she's doing a character's voice, she is terribly LOUD, whiny, nasally, raspy, just awful. I find just about every voice she does to be very annoying, especially when she whines. I also think she is not suited to doing the voices for male characters.
I wish that the books that she performed on could be re-recorded with either Nigel Planer or Stephen Briggs reading. I love those books...I just can't stand to listen to them.
OcarinaMaker

Postby TheAnts » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Thank you for the warning!

We used to listen in the car a lot while travelling, and it was very noticeable that Tony Robinson's volume veered all over the place. I thought this was because he wasn't an actor, but Celia Imrie is, isn't she? Anyway, it's not a good style for a talking book. Nigel Planer was better on every front, I'm sorry to hear he's stopped doing it. I haven't neard Stephen Briggs except at the last TP Con we went to - he sounded good, but I haven't heard him do a book.
TheAnts

Postby JohnnyBGlod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The best part is that he got this honour during the Coalition Government he protested against.

It's likely that Labour nominated him.
JohnnyBGlod

Postby raisindot » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:18 pm

TheAnts wrote:Thank you for the warning!

We used to listen in the car a lot while travelling, and it was very noticeable that Tony Robinson's volume veered all over the place. I thought this was because he wasn't an actor, but Celia Imrie is, isn't she? Anyway, it's not a good style for a talking book. Nigel Planer was better on every front, I'm sorry to hear he's stopped doing it. I haven't neard Stephen Briggs except at the last TP Con we went to - he sounded good, but I haven't heard him do a book.

Try one, especially one of his Watch readings. Planer is very good but Briggs brings the voicings to a whole new level, most of the time.
raisindot

Postby TheAnts » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Thank you I must go and have a rummage in our library. If they don't have the talking books, they should!
TheAnts

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels