THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby DreadfulKata » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 am

Gosh, I enjoyed The Hobbit. I went twice.

In some ways I prefer it to the LoTR films. Without the ponderous weightiness of that story, it was able to revel a bit more. I liked that they brought in a more coherent narrative (the dwarf homeland stuff, the links to LoTR), but I think they did well not to let it get bogged down in that stuff. The books are a different beast from the trilogy, and I think the writers did a good job of replicating that. I got the impression the team had learned a lot on/since LoTR.

I am a complete sucker for all the end stuff with 'Bilbo! You wrecked all the shit! But it was awesome.' moment. Little Bilbo Freeman with his little sword standing between the big orc and Thorin... I was practically blubbering.
DreadfulKata

Postby Del » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Took the girls.. saw it ... loved it.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby octarinefire » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

I saw it in 3D and loved it except the high speed action sequences when I found things a little hard to follow. Things tended towards blurriness when moving very fast but I think it was more to do with the visual clutter on screen rather than the tech used. Came out of the cinema with a headache though - first time ever from a 3D film and I've seen quite a few in the cinema. Don't know what was to blame and wouldn't like to speculate though I know some people have blamed the frame rate.
I found the indoor and slower moving sequences in the film were absolutely stunning and I did enjoy it so I'm looking forward to seeing the next installment - just a shame we'll have to wait so long for it. I would love it if Jackson went back and converted the LOTR films into 3D format - I would definitely go back to the cinema to see those in 3D though RotK could do with some of the long, lingering glances cut down (e.g. when the Fellowship gather around Frodo in bed and the farewell scene at the Grey Havens).
With films like these the cinema is definitely the best way to view them and when given the choice between 2D and 3D I usually opt for 3D. This is tech I don't have at home yet so I'll take the opportunity when it's there at the cinema. I saw the last Harry Potter in 3D multiple times - last opportunity to see HP in 3D and the only HP film with a 3D cinema release so I milked it for all it was worth lol.
octarinefire

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:46 am

I liked it in 3D seen it in an Imax cinema did not get a headache though, and I went back to see in 2D just to see if it was still blurry in some shots, it was, I've just voted for it in the Hugo awards for the Worldcon. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Conforumist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm

My "current" verdict is, he f'd it up.

There's so much crap in there, just to make it into 3 movies that it ruined it for me. I'm thinking of the hours of crap he'll throw into the next to movies. It should have been done in "2" parts. That would have been plenty: Look at the size of the book for pete sake. :snooty:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:42 pm

New Hobbit trailer. :D :D :D

He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Cor! :D Looks great!

I recently read the book and now have seen the first movie a couple of times and think they are doing an excellent job of adapting it.

Gandalf is always off (in the book) on some business of his own with no obvious explanation. I think that offers tremendous scope for enlarging the story and exploring Middle Earth without straying too far from the original story. I know there are a lot of critics of this adaptation, there were a lot of critics about LOTR, but I applaud Peter Jackson and co. for their efforts. :clap:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:55 pm

It was my favorite book out of the series, so looking looking forward to seeing it and I thing he is doing a great job of it. :D :D :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Thranduil! :o :romance-heartsthree: *swoons* (Legolas' Daddy!)!!!!! :lol:

Dunno who the red-haired elf lady is, but if they've made her a wood elf (like Legs and his dad) the ME canon nazis will be after Jackson's nads again :doh: :P

But yeah - we're getting into territory where Gandalf's off-page excursions will come into it while Bilbo and the Dwarvesessss are off playing with Elvesessss and feckin' ginormous Spidersssss and we may get some of the backstory for Thorin's dad as well

PLUS!!!!! Beorn the Skin-changer as well (pity they aren't using Robbie Coltrane but never mind)! :mrgreen: I think this one's going to be better than the first one, as there's a lot more action in it and it'll be nice to see the bits that weren't in the book (but are in the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales) coming in - maybe more Radagast and his sled-pulling dire-bunnies too :dance:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Just looked up the redhead lady elf on wiki - yes, folks - Jackson will singing falsetto from now on... :eusa-violin: :lol:

Very few redheaded at all and they're all in the high-bred clans and not the lower caste woodfolk (who didn't head West as far as the Silmarillion Elfies) so strictly speaking Philipha Boyens the head scriptwriter is the one to blame for putting her in for positive gender discrimination reasons since JRRT never bothered putting in any ladies at all the book... :naughty: :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Maybe she's a spontaneous mutation ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Well presumably, Phillipa doesn't have any nads for the ME Nazis to go after. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 pm

That looked pretty awesome! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Maybe before the LOTR screenplays she was called Philip.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Dotsie wrote:Maybe she's a spontaneous mutation ;)

Maybe she dyes?
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre