DEATH of capital letters

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: DEATH of capital letters

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 am

Ah! I see what you mean. :doh: He's talking with a larger capital letter at the start of sentences as early as Equal Rites, but the first two books have him using caps of the same size. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Sorted! :lol: So, the opposite way round to the US then. I agree with ferulebezel that it just seems like lazy typesetting.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby ferulebezel » Fri May 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I would add that they are not "big" or "small" caps, but caps that are the right size for the other text on the page.

"small caps" is a font variation where all letters have the same form but upper and lower case are still distinguished by size.
ferulebezel

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 pm

:oops: I was talking at crossed purposes. I had misunderstood what you meant and thought you were saying they were written in lower case.

To clarify - in the UK copies, the first two books have capitals that are all the same size. In Equal Rites the first capital of each sentence by Death is a larger size followed by capitals that are the same size as other fonts on the page. :)

I hope that makes sense. :?
Tonyblack

Postby ferulebezel » Thu May 09, 2013 6:30 am

Tonyblack wrote: the UK copies,...In Equal Rites the first capital of each sentence by Death is a larger size followed by capitals that are the same size as other fonts on the page. :)

What about when death says "I" or uses proper nouns?
ferulebezel

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Sorry if this isnt the right place to put this but since I just thought of it ill post it anyways... when we first meet death, he gets annoyed with rincewind I think 2 times or so, what he does is lash out by killing some mayflies as I recall and as tony said, he stops the heart of a fish salesman. Is it just me or does this sound like one giant mistake? Death doesn't have any glands so it shouldnt be possible to annoy him, he certainly wouldnt kill out of spite and though every death has a meaning, that the ones he killed most probably ran out of time naturally (with him merely doing his job), it still seems as though he killed them before their time which is just crazy... He shouldnt have done it in anger either way though, that isnt who he is.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:42 pm

I wouldn't call it a mistake - I'd say that it was an early draft of Death. Like so many of the characters, Death has changed. His character has become more defined and in some ways predictable. We know that Death wouldn't kill anyone now, but that is because we know the way he thinks and behaves based on his numerous appearances in the books.

Looking back on that early draft, it doesn't feel right given what we know of him - but it was perfectly right when the book was written without any back story. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Maybe he changed when he adopted Ysabelle. The glands thing doesn't really matter, he doesn't have muscles but he can still walk ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:16 am

Dotsie wrote:Maybe he changed when he adopted Ysabelle. The glands thing doesn't really matter, he doesn't have muscles but he can still walk ;)

Death thinks he doesn't have emotions. But he can give up studying humans whenever he likes... he thinks.
=Tamar

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 am

Exactly. He definitely has emotions or he wouldn't have saved Ysabelle, and he got really mad at Mort. I think he just changed from a meanie to a softie when he became a dad. Or Terry's writing matured, and he decided to create a more sympathetic character. Either way, we like the new Death better ;)
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:41 am

Part of Death's transformation of character takes place in Mort, where he and Mort effectively start to switch - Mort becoming more "Death-like" and Death becoming more "Human". In that book, Death ultimately does something very human - he shows compassion and he's never the same again after that.

Like most of Terry's characters, he's evolved and that is why it is kind of weird when we go back to early books and see un-evolved versions of Granny, Death, Vetinari and even Vimes.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:04 pm

He's certainly evolved since Mort, but I would argue that Mort wasn't the first time he showed compassion, it was just the first time he recognised it for what it was.
Dotsie

Previous

Return to Discworld novels