Star Trek: Into Darkness **SPOILERS**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness **SPOILERS**

Postby raisindot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Dotsie wrote:Wasn't it the Vengeance?

As for the tribble, they say they've got Hary Mudd's ship on board, and use it to go to Kronos. I think "The Trouble With Tribbles" was the episode after "I, Mudd", so if they've met Harry Mudd, they've presumably met tribbles recently as well. It's a bit of a stretch, but they don't say where it came from so I'm just guessing :?

Okay, letting my true geekiness show here, but it was Cyrano Jones, not Harry Mudd, who was the tribble-seller from TOS. Harry Mudd originally appeared in an episode from the first season. I didn't catch the reference in ST:ID, but if they mention Harry Mudd instead of Jones then it's either a re-boot thing or the writer mixed up the two grifters (who are essentially the same character anyway). :oops:
raisindot

Postby raisindot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Willem wrote:I kind of enjoyed it.

After Sherlock was revealed to be Khan, it was mostly spotting callbacks/reworking to Wrath of Khan for me, which tarnished my enjoyment in general. But my friends without any Star Trek history really enjoyed it.

The Kirk dying to radiation part was pretty good. Spock yelling "KHAAAAAN" pretty awful :)

I agree with all of this. It was far too wedded to "The Wrath of Khan" and TOS Khan episode. This stuff added a level of unneeded camp to a film that had a lot of other good things going for it. And, like the first Abrams ST movie, it had its "Galaxy Quest" moments, like Scotty having to run a marathon across the Marcus ship and Kirk having to crawl through an engine chamber the size of a small moon to get to the engine thing that just needs a few kicks to realign itself. It makes you wonder, who's making starships these days, the Chinese?
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 am

raisindot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Wasn't it the Vengeance?

As for the tribble, they say they've got Hary Mudd's ship on board, and use it to go to Kronos. I think "The Trouble With Tribbles" was the episode after "I, Mudd", so if they've met Harry Mudd, they've presumably met tribbles recently as well. It's a bit of a stretch, but they don't say where it came from so I'm just guessing :?

Okay, letting my true geekiness show here, but it was Cyrano Jones, not Harry Mudd, who was the tribble-seller from TOS. Harry Mudd originally appeared in an episode from the first season. I didn't catch the reference in ST:ID, but if they mention Harry Mudd instead of Jones then it's either a re-boot thing or the writer mixed up the two grifters (who are essentially the same character anyway). :oops:

It was indeed, but despite the gap of several episodes between the two, the stardates are actually very close together. So I'm wondering, does this mean that as they've just met Harry Mudd, they've also just encountered tribbles for the first time? :think:

So I'll see your geek, and raise you a nerd ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:02 am

raisindot wrote:It was far too wedded to "The Wrath of Khan"

It was. I don't think it had to much to do with 'Space Seed' though, in that Khan could be quite charming, and ultimately was happy to start a new life on an uninhabited planet with his new girlfriend. He was a bit of a rascal*, but Kirk still managed to survive a fist fight with him, and it was his later experiences (girlfriend dying) that made him evil.

Check out the fist fight between Khan and Kirk in engineering. So obviously two stuntmen, you even see close ups of their faces :lol:

* well, he tried to blow up the Enterprise
Last edited by Dotsie on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:06 am

Found it

Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 am

Star Trek is the only show I've seen where people lock their hands together to hit someone. And it was never a good idea to look too closely at who was fighting in those wide shots. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:03 am

Superman did it in his final blow on doomsday just before he died. Thats the only other time I can remember though. :lol:

They still made Khan somewhat sympathetic. That they basically kidnapped his crew and forced him to build weapons for them.

for the ship, I heard the name venture (though it could have been vengeance), but that was in reference to a ship entering the dock i think.

For me the spot the reference game just added to my enjoyment. I was giggling like mad when they said Section 31. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Willem » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm

raptornx01 wrote:I was giggling like mad when they said Section 31. :lol:

Same here :D
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby raisindot » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Dotsie wrote:It was indeed, but despite the gap of several episodes between the two, the stardates are actually very close together. So I'm wondering, does this mean that as they've just met Harry Mudd, they've also just encountered tribbles for the first time? :think:

So I'll see your geek, and raise you a nerd ;)

Oh, master, I humbly accede my inferior geekiness to your obviously superior nerdiness. :lol:
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Yes!! I win!

Or, maybe I'm the loser... :think:
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:22 pm

No, you are never a loser with Star Trek. :naughty:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Well that's always been my attitude :lol:
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:09 pm

the red shirts on away teams are always losers tony :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Loved the look on Chekov's face when kirk told him to put on a red shirt. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:27 pm

Pfff! Scotty used to wear a red shirt all the time and he was indestructible!
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre