Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby chillicamper » Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 am

Tonyblack wrote:That's terrible, Chilli! Poor Jose! :(

I was thinking of you and Jose last night when I was watching Richard Wilson in Britain's Best Drives. He was driving a split screen VW Camper along the North Cornish coast. Although the way he was grinding the gears might well be torture to you.

In the general scheme of things its nothing. You see pictures of the devistation in Oklahoma and feel petty for complaining about other stuff........It's the buggerance factor more than anything......well the money as well :lol: Could do without the extra expense of doing it myself.

I've seen Richard Wilson murdering that gearbox before :twisted: It's an old car, you can't expect racing gear changes. Take your time, talk nicely to the van and you will get a gear......might not be the one you meant to get, but it will be a gear :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby janet » Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 am

Poor old Jose :cry: Just a thought Chilli...is there an enthusiasts' club nearby where there might be some other VW nutcase person to lend a bit of time/expertise? Friends who have skills you can call on are gold, and you have skills they can tap into in return.
My first car was a 1960 Austin A40 with no synchromesh. I soon learned how to double-declutch and heel-toe...especially when the handbrake came off completely one day....going up a humpy bridge in a stream of traffic...... :o
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed May 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Bad news Chilli. I suspect you are probably better doing it yourself and checking for rust etc after all that might be why it cracked in the first place.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Wed May 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Sorry about Jose. Hope whichever option you choose works out to be quick and affordable!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:24 pm

I was just talking to another mom who's son has had a very rough school year. :( I feel really awful for all that they're going through right now. All I could do was give her a big hug. Her son had the same teacher consultant that Ava had this year, the one we've had problems with, and the one we've reluctantly agreed to let her have next year. She told me about some of the problems they had with her and now I'm completely stressed out and worried that we made the wrong choice! :cry: I'm sitting here wondering if I should call the principal and tell him I've changed my mind and want Ava on the other team!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Catch-up wrote:I was just talking to another mom who's son has had a very rough school year. :( I feel really awful for all that they're going through right now. All I could do was give her a big hug. Her son had the same teacher consultant that Ava had this year, the one we've had problems with, and the one we've reluctantly agreed to let her have next year. She told me about some of the problems they had with her and now I'm completely stressed out and worried that we made the wrong choice! :cry: I'm sitting here wondering if I should call the principal and tell him I've changed my mind and want Ava on the other team!

I'm doing the "man" thing and giving advice even though you might just be looking for validation. But since I went through a similar situation with one of my kids many years ago I''ll give it anyway.

Previously I believe you said that after your initial problems with the consultant Ava's results improved and that Ava really likes her. Did this other family have the same kinds of problems you had with this consultant and did the other family's relationship with the consultant gradually improve the way it seemed to do for you? Did the other family's kid end up with similar improvements like you saw with Ava? At the same time, have you talked to parents who kids are on the "other team" to see if there have been complaints about that consultant as well?

It is possible that at some point last year the principal had a "come to Jesus" moment with the consultant and told her to clean up her act or skeedaddle. There are two issues here: Is Ava getting the help she needs to succeed and is the consultant responsive and helpful to you as parents? If you can't get 100% satisfaction in either of these issues, which ultimately is more important? We remember that one of the people we had to work with was one of the biggest pains in the keister to talk to, but, by gum, she got tremendous results and even though we never wanted to see her again after our son no longer needed her appreciate what she did.

It's a tough decision, but you really do have to weigh Ava's results with the consultant she has (and the connection they have) versus the risks of moving her to an unknown quantity. I'd suggest you talk to the principal about your concerns without specifically referring to the other family. You might ask if other parents have had problems with this consultant (you're likely to get a "none of your business" answer in this situation, but it's worth trying). To assauge your fears, you might want to ask the principal what you can do to establish a clear action plan that sets out specific objectives and communication protocols that you and the consultant will follow to manage the relationship moving forward.
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:30 pm

What Jib said.

If you moved Ava, what are the chances you'd regret it? Would she likely be OK with a new TC?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Ghost » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:08 pm

This is a huge amount of whinges that add up to a major frustration.

Well I've just finished a extra day at work to finish off the delivery from Saturday and found that because the shop floor has had a rearrange since my last shift and a tote and half of folded shelved jeans has been nicely placed on top of my work load ready for my to hang today on top my large work load thank you very much.... -_-
And to make things a little bit harder the cleaner wouldn't stop trying to gossip with me I am hard of hearing so I have to stop and face her to try and hear what she's saying to me and workout if it's important and I have been bollocked more than once for chatting whilst I'm suppose to be working and I'm trying to find a way to tell her that I have a deadline to work to and I simply don't have the time to chatter that won't sound like I'm dismissing her completely or being just plain nasty.
And on top of all that the other staff have been using me as their spare floor worker or asking me to do little tasks for them and all those tasks add up.
So I'm being moaned at for not completing my jobs and I'm trying to work faster but it feels like I'm trying to dig out an avalanche by my self and no matter how much I dig there's more and more work piling up. I hate doing the delivery I am slow I can't make my hands work any faster than they are now I can't but I have spent so much time on the delivery shifts I am no longer qualified to work on the shop floor.
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Harsh . sounds a proper pain.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:02 pm

:lol: Raisin, I love your self awareness. And great questions. I have to say the communication problems have definitely been between the TC and I. Ava likes her and is comfortable with her and her grades have been great. I think she does a great job interacting with Ava and managing her workload. She makes a lot of extra work for me though. :roll: The situation has definitely improved. Is it perfect? No. But I'm aware I may be more sensitive to problems with her due to our history.

The other family had their situation get worse, and had problems with the way this teacher interacted with their son. I do know they complained. I don't have any input from families who have been with the other TC, so that's a wild card. Sort of. For the most part we've had very positive interactions with almost all the staff at all the schools in the district.

I'd like to believe they had a "come to Jesus" talk with her! I would not have been surprised to hear that she was retiring after this year. But, now that I've had some time to sort of mentally recuperate from that info, I do think everything will be fine. Just to be on the safe side, I did drop a note to the principal to make sure that he knew we would expect some kind of intervention or alternate plan if we encountered serious issues again. We'll see!

Dotsie, that's just it. I'm second guessing whether we'll regret this choice, or if we'll regret switching her. It's hard to judge, especially when you're having an anxiety attack. :? She would be just fine with a new person, but the benefits of sticking with the current one could be significant. I've mostly stopped ruminating over it now. I'll have a glass of wine and move on! :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Ghost, the next time you're given so much work to do, approach your manager, list the tasks you've been given and make him/her prioritize what gets done first and what gets left unfinished. Also, if it's an option, just say no when someone asks. Apologize and list the other tasks you have to complete.
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am

Stick a sign on your back - "BUSY - CAN'T TALK".
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Catch-up wrote:The other family had their situation get worse, and had problems with the way this teacher interacted with their son. I do know they complained. I don't have any input from families who have been with the other TC, so that's a wild card. Sort of. For the most part we've had very positive interactions with almost all the staff at all the schools in the district.

Unfortunately, I do think that how successful any consultant (or teacher for that matter) is with a child is going to depend largely on how that teacher/consultant feels about the child. If the T/C doesn't like the child, for whatever reason, it's unlikely that he or she will put in the effort to improve the situation. In your situation, it looks like the consultant really does like Ava and really does want to continue with her. That's a huge thing, because that will motivate the consultant to continue to do a great job and make the best effort with her--and probably with you, too.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Catch-up wrote:Ghost, the next time you're given so much work to do, approach your manager, list the tasks you've been given and make him/her prioritize what gets done first and what gets left unfinished. Also, if it's an option, just say no when someone asks. Apologize and list the other tasks you have to complete.

We've tried this at my work. Ask them what has the highest priority, they tell us "All of it". :roll:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby wicked woman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:45 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Ghost, the next time you're given so much work to do, approach your manager, list the tasks you've been given and make him/her prioritize what gets done first and what gets left unfinished. Also, if it's an option, just say no when someone asks. Apologize and list the other tasks you have to complete.

We've tried this at my work. Ask them what has the highest priority, they tell us "All of it". :roll:

:roll: I had an employer like that. :twisted:
Ghost, sounds like you are getting snowed under because you are doing jobs that actually aren't your responsibility. Just say no.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum