The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks pip I must admit I did not look for for it but they sometimes pop up on Amazon etc as forthcoming, I quite liked Apocalypse Cow but did not buy the other from what I read it did not grab me enough like A.C did.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:22 am

I couldn't understand the joint prize as Apocalypse Cow was so much better than the Half Sick of Shadows which wasn't fabulous and ended very weakly.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

pip wrote:I couldn't understand the joint prize as Apocalypse Cow was so much better than the Half Sick of Shadows which wasn't fabulous and ended very weakly.

YMMV. Half-Sick of Shadows was good and high concept, but it didn't explain enough of WTF was going on. It was like The Prisoner, or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Whereas Apocalypse Cow was distinctly low-concept, but entertaining all the same. Even so, I actually preferred Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw's similarly themed post-apocalyptic comedy novel, Jam. Any of you think that Apocalypse Cow was missing a certain je ne sais quois, try Jam.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 pm

I'd rather be entertained by low concept than bored by high concept to be honest. Life is too short to struggle through a book and finish with WTF was that about.
Apocalypse Cow was simple enough but to be fair it was very well written and good craic.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:18 pm

pip wrote:I'd rather be entertained by low concept than bored by high concept to be honest. Life is too short to struggle through a book and finish with WTF was that about.
Apocalypse Cow was simple enough but to be fair it was very well written and good craic.

Well, if you can, like I said, try Jam. It's about what happens when Brisbane is submerged under a few feet of carnivorous jam. I kid ye not.

God, I'm finding writing hard to do ATM. :roll:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Sounds quirky fun :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 pm

pip wrote:Sounds quirky fun :lol:

It's by the guy who does the Zero Punctuation video game reviews, Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw. His first published novel, Mogworld, was very Pratchett-like, if Terry Pratchett was more vulgar. But I recommend that one as well. The twist (that it's a fantasy set in an online game, and that the protagonists are actually artificial intelligences) is spoiled on the back cover, but it's a good story regardless.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Nothing worse than a blurb giving away all the twists but i'll have a look.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 pm

pip wrote:Nothing worse than a blurb giving away all the twists but i'll have a look.

If you've played MMORPGs, you'll pick up on what's going on quickly enough, and the twist is pretty much revealed before the halfway point, even if the protagonists don't know what's going on (the main character ends up with email correspondence in his head by accident).

Here's a YouTube video from Croshaw's own account advertising his audiobook version, read by him. This extract is from the end of the first chapter, I think.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Very cool.
So are you moving forward with the work you entered.
Any view to self publishing at any point soon.
I'm fairly sure you and Jan will get some support, plugging and purchases from the forum members
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 pm

At the moment, I have submitted said work (in a revised form) to three publishers. None of them I have heard back from, although one of them, Penguin, requires the full manuscript and three months to examine. It's only been one. The other two...well, I have to assume rejection, as I have heard nothing after the time limit, and they say they'll only reply if they intend to take it forward.

Even so, I think that self-publishing is the only way I'll get this out, probably via Kindle. And even then, it's not my best work. Maybe I should go back and revise the damned thing...

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:05 pm

If you want try this agent -
http://www.dhhliteraryagency.com/
They've a good rep and the owner is a real nice guy who also runs one of the best bookshops in London, Goldsboro.
If not amazon or the likes might be a good route. Don't rule out print on demand services as well and I quite a few writers using Kickstarter now.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Quatermass wrote:At the moment, I have submitted said work (in a revised form) to three publishers. None of them I have heard back from, although one of them, Penguin, requires the full manuscript and three months to examine. It's only been one. The other two...well, I have to assume rejection, as I have heard nothing after the time limit, and they say they'll only reply if they intend to take it forward.

I don't know how it is downunda, but in the states no publisher at all will accept an unsolicited manuscript that isn't first preceded by a query letter with a synopsis. Only if they write back telling to send the ms. will they actually read. Even then, very few publishers other than tiniest small presses will read ms's that aren't submitted by an agent. I don't care whether a Writer's Market listing says they accept new authors--that's total bs.

Quatermass wrote:Even so, I think that self-publishing is the only way I'll get this out, probably via Kindle. And even then, it's not my best work. Maybe I should go back and revise the damned thing...

Self-publishing on Kindle is easy (although formatting the damn thing to look good on Kindle is a pain in the keister). It costs you nothing but time. The challenge is SELLING anything on Kindle. Your book is competing with a million other self-published books out there, so your biggest challenge will be getting anyone to even look at your listing. They'll be able to read the first 40 pages or so online, so those pages had better be as perfect as possible. Your goal will be to get as many people as you know to not only read it but to rate it on Amazon and other book review site. The book itself will not sell itself; promotion will.
raisindot

Postby pip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Twitter Buzz seems to be a huge marketing tool these days .
Possibly worth a try
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm currently about to start typesetting my novel to publish on demand in print and e-book format (with Lulu.com who do both with ISBN hook-ups so sell on Amazon and Barnes & Noble) - but am waiting to hear from a literary agent who guarantees a reply, which is looking unlikely to be an acceptance as I've just had to nudge them after their usual target for response has passed :roll:

I'm also working on an anthology with some other writer mates and thinking of changing our current forum format into an editorial and desktop publishing co-operative, so if anyone's into writing short original stories with a loose SF&F theme click on my sig link to find out more. With Lulu there's minimal or even no charges to upload and sell, depending on whether you need to use any of their own services (I've got current publishing software so don't need those) so essentially the co-op aspect means site members can share review and editorial skills as well some of us being able to do cover illustration to spec if you can provide some source material or a decent brief.

And like pip said - you lot are potential target audience fodder so you'll get to hear about my novel as soon as it's up for sale (on the sellers & pedlars thread ;) ) :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett