Pin the street on the mapp game?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Pin the street on the mapp game?

Postby YoungSam » Thu May 23, 2013 1:14 am

Hi all,
I noticed the thread below about the indie game maker and I thought I'd post my question here as well. I want to use a simplified version of the Ankh Morpork map to have as a guessing game for Discworld fans at my next DW themed party (and maybe a Hogswatch event in Brisbane). The idea would be to have a large poster of the map and a bunch of labels that you had to place in the right places eg The Hippo, Dolly sisters Ankh Bridge.

I do not want to make any money from the game (sell it) nor will I charge people to play. I have already send a message to Lyndsay on TP's Facebook page as well as an online message to the publisher(I think its Doubleday) of the Compleat Ankh Morpork. So far no reply. I will also send an email to Colin Smythe, but I'm not sure if this is appropriate.

What do you think?
YoungSam

Re: Pin the street on the mapp game?

Postby Square12 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:26 am

Don't see why not, does anyone ask the donkeys for likeness rights?
Seriously I'd say that if you are neither distributing nor profiting, legally and morally you should be in the clear. Plus if you say "as based on the compleat ankh morpork" you are in fact promoting the book for them so they should if anything be thanking you.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 23, 2013 5:13 am

I don't see a problem at all. As you say, you aren't doing it for profit. To me this is similar to wearing a costume based on a character in one of the books. :)

I'm not at all sure I'd be any good at your game though. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby YoungSam » Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 am

Yeah I see. That makes sense. The whole point of the game would be to get people interested in Terry Pratchett and Discworld. Do you think it would make a difference it id is a public or private event?
YoungSam

Postby Square12 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 am

Ok legally, from what I can see on the net you should be safe but I am not a lawyer and have not studied Australian nor international copyright laws. You also in this case have the plausible argument that although it is a fictional place the streete mappe of ankh morpork was classed as non fiction, at least in th uk. To be on the safe side try and get someone from the Australian publishers to give you a response, you never know they might even be prepared to sponsor your game!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 29, 2013 9:53 am

Or you could ask for advice from the people that ran the Australian Discworld convention. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby YoungSam » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Good Idea - I will try to contact the Aust publishers and chat NAIV guys
YoungSam

Postby YoungSam » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:28 am

I ended up using the Discworld Mapp rather than the Ankh mapp. I erased most of the names and then printed and laminated it,. I had a whole bunch of name labels including some tricksy ones like 'King's Landing' and a couple of LOTR ones. It was quite a fun activity and I plan to use it again at my next games night
YoungSam

Return to Games