Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby raptornx01 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Well, you could invite them to a party, but you wouldn't know what you would get. Except maybe lots of Guy Fawkes masks (the one worn by the guy V in V for Vendetta).

oh, and cats. They have a strange love for cats for some reason. 4chan is where the lolcats was born after all (plus practically every other meme). Though, considering they pretty much do whatever they want, if they feel like it....

BTW, for those that don't know, 4chan is basically "The Shades" of the internet. Only, with more cats. whatever you want, you can find it (as far as images, information, stuff like that). need help, you can ask, and if they decide to help, you pretty much have an army at your disposal. But, as the paraphrased line goes, "if you throw yourself on Anon's mercy, you better be sure you deserve to bounce."
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu May 23, 2013 5:44 pm

raisindot wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:Texas railroad bridge collapses like a pack of dominoes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22641179

I don't know why, but every time I see this I expect to see Wile E. Coyote standing in mid-air for a moment, look at the camera in disbelief and hold up a "bye bye" sign before he plummets to the ground.

Imagemeep meep. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu May 23, 2013 7:20 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:Girl charged with statutory rape after turning 18:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/05 ... id=3491933

If all of this is true, I wonder why it can be.

Well this would be the case in the UK as well. The accused was 17 and the other party was 15, with the age of consent being 16 here this would be treated as statutory rape by an adult on a minor who could not legally give consent. The sex of the two people is not relevant to the offence.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri May 24, 2013 5:29 am

I know that it is statutory rape. We have that as well. With the age of consent being 14 it is less of an issue, however. Anyway, what I find really hard to come to terms with is the fact that the girls already had a relation before one of them turned 18 and it seems no one cared. So, imagine you're 16, fall in love with a 14 year old, have a sexual relationship. Then you turn 18 and suddenly you have to stop dating and having sex until you're both over 18? THAT's what I find ridiculous.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri May 24, 2013 8:18 am

Bloody hell. The US not having a great time at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22650268
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Square12 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 am

ChristianBecker wrote:I know that it is statutory rape. We have that as well. With the age of consent being 14 it is less of an issue, however. Anyway, what I find really hard to come to terms with is the fact that the girls already had a relation before one of them turned 18 and it seems no one cared. So, imagine you're 16, fall in love with a 14 year old, have a sexual relationship. Then you turn 18 and suddenly you have to stop dating and having sex until you're both over 18? THAT's what I find ridiculous.

I'm not 100% sure but I think there either is or has been staggered age of consent in the uk wherein a 15 & 16 can't be charged but 15 & 17 can or something similar.
Also in the uk there are other situations in which statutory rape exists which could lead to equally strange situations: employer/employee student/teacher (for example young university lecturer with their university mature student)
It is conceivable that A & B are consenting sexual partners either before the other relationship is created or that they are aware of it, then after they are aware A no longer wants to continue the sexual relationship but is afraid that if they call it off then they will be sacked / failed etc. in which case it is theoretically statutory rape. EVEN IF the partner does not say that they no longer want to have sex!

Don't get me wrong I think that in genuine cases of statutory rape there should be at the very least mandatory incarceration, but where both parties are old enough to make decisions or if the relationship started in an age bracket where neither party was over the age of consent then neither should be able to be prosecuted.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby raptornx01 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:06 pm

We have that here. under florida law whatever that couple did in their bedroom is perfectly legal while the one girl was 17. once she turned 18 it became illegal.

Personally I think the parents were against it from the start and just waited till the girl was 18 so they could have her locked up.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 pm

raptornx01 wrote:We have that here. under florida law whatever that couple did in their bedroom is perfectly legal while the one girl was 17. once she turned 18 it became illegal.

Personally I think the parents were against it from the start and just waited till the girl was 18 so they could have her locked up.

I agree. Statutory rape laws are very important, but sometime needs to be done to recognize the reality that (according to some stats) 30%-40% of teenagers are having consensual sex before age 18. This isn't a good thing, but ruining a kid's life over it when they turn 18 isn't the answer. A good percentage of this must be occurring between kids under a state's legal age. Maybe there needs to be some kind of "tiered' laws, i.e., statutory rape when the 'younger' person is under a certain age (13? 12?), and something much minor when both parties at between that age and a state's legal age (14-16/18?). And there should be no charges files against someone when they turn the legal age for consensual acts that occurred when they (and the younger person) were at the "in-between" year stage. That way, a 16 year old who had consensual sex with a 15 year old won't have to go to jail when they turn 18. With such a rule, someone who turns 18 and then has sex with a 16 year old could be charged with statutory rape, while the elder of two 16 year olds who have sex at the age wouldn't be charged with it. After all, teenagers aren't generally thrown into jail for taking drugs or most first-time offenses.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Well, you know, it's sex, and sex is bad and evil. Their brains aren't developed enough to avoid making a decision that could effect them the rest of their lives. But are developed enough to be given access to a multi-ton instrument of death and destruction. Ofcourse, nothing could ever happen to a teen behind the wheel that could effect them their entire life.
raptornx01

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 24, 2013 8:49 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:I know that it is statutory rape. We have that as well. With the age of consent being 14 it is less of an issue, however. Anyway, what I find really hard to come to terms with is the fact that the girls already had a relation before one of them turned 18 and it seems no one cared. So, imagine you're 16, fall in love with a 14 year old, have a sexual relationship. Then you turn 18 and suddenly you have to stop dating and having sex until you're both over 18? THAT's what I find ridiculous.

Local conditions apply for age of consent but I think as this is the US there's also an issue of minority which is 18 I assume from the article. So whilst the age of consent would definitely apply to the younger girl the older girl at age 17 would be 'legal' for sex but still a minor.

Not sure whether the US would be the similar to the UK on age of consent for homosexuals (which would include lesbians of course, as it's not officially gender specific just means same sex in a legal sense). Over here it's age 16 for homosexual the same as for heteros now (it used to be 21 up until recently though) but this is the crux of it

wikipedia wrote:The age of consent in England and Wales is 16 regardless of sexual orientation and/or gender, as specified by the Sexual Offences Act 2003. However, if person A is over the age of 18 and is in a position of trust to person B who is under the age of 18, it is illegal for A to engage in sexual activity with B.

and in Florida

wikipedia wrote:The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close in age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.
Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in [statutes cited]. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose

So from that if the older girl was just a student and not in a position of trust with the younger girl (like for instance a counsellor, coach or teacher/tutor) then it seems to follow that a legal prosecution team would be looking for non-consensual rape rather than statutory and, if brought to court, the girls ages (both under 18) when the relationship started would probably count towards it being left alone, or not dealt with too harshly if it did make it into a courtroom.

In the UK same thing, especially if both partners are underage and there's no question of sex being non-consensual then usually no action would be taken, unless there was some kind of neglect element involved on the part of the parents/guardians, in which case the social authorities would probably get called if they needed to place the minor(s) in care or under supervision for any reason.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Watchman44 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun May 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Yipes

It is thought the man may suffer from a mental health issue.

Yes probably that is the case :shock:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue May 28, 2013 12:02 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rents.html

Baby found alive after being flushed away by parents.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue May 28, 2013 12:07 pm

What the hell.
Holy crap some people deserve all forms of hell rained down on them at once.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Sad that is seen it on the news this morning, but on reflection it may be because it was a second baby due to the strict laws imposed by the goverment on having more than one, not that is not a terrible thing to do it must have been done in dire circumstances.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum