Oklahoma Tornado

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Oklahoma Tornado

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue May 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Mindblowing before and after pictures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22608754
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Oklahoma Tornado

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Sharlene lived not far from the Oklahoma border in Kansas and they had tornados there. She has some great stories - like the time when the local clergyman went to open the church as it had a basement for people to shelter in. The tornado picked him up off his feet and deposited him on the church steps no worse for the experience. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 pm

:lol: Mary Poppins without the need for a brolly!!

There's a picture on the Beeb (I think). A big white guy (teacher) hugging the hell out of a little black boy (student) after their school was demolished.

Heart warming and heart wrenching at the same time.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 21, 2013 2:15 pm

You can sort of see why that area is the Bible Belt. They must take the Wrath of God really seriously there.
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Ooops :oops:

I should mention (got carried away) that this is an awful thing to happen and my heart goes out to all those who have lost friends and relatives. Sadly, these things are relatively common in that area.
Tonyblack

Postby TinatheConfused » Tue May 21, 2013 3:44 pm

I was 6 when one of those went through my town. Belvidere IL 1967. Horrible for them.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby Catch-up » Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Just horrifying.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Sharlene and I were looking at the BBC pictures and I was commenting that although the houses were reduced to rubble, there didn't seem to be any on the roads. Sharlene explained that when one of these starts you go through your house and open all the windows and doors. Doing this means that you get rid of any vacuums. When the tornado hits, the air pressure tends to make houses with internal vacuums implode - hence there being no rubble on the roads.
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Yeah, open the windows, head for the basement. We don't get many tornadoes around here, but we've been through the drill when the conditions are right for one to form. Last spring a town about 20 minutes away was hit. Lots of damage, but no deaths thank goodness.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Terible thing to happen, not a lot you can do about it.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby wicked woman » Tue May 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Awful, poor people. :cry:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby raptornx01 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 am

Tonyblack wrote:Sharlene and I were looking at the BBC pictures and I was commenting that although the houses were reduced to rubble, there didn't seem to be any on the roads. Sharlene explained that when one of these starts you go through your house and open all the windows and doors. Doing this means that you get rid of any vacuums. When the tornado hits, the air pressure tends to make houses with internal vacuums implode - hence there being no rubble on the roads.

Yeah, it's the opposite you do with a hurricane. With those you have to make sure everything is sealed because the winds get in and just rip the place apart (roof first usually). But with a tornado because the pressure drops so fast it's like putting a balloon in a vacuum tube. Only, a house's walls aren't that flexible.

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby chillicamper » Wed May 22, 2013 5:34 am

Terrible pictures :( my heart goes out to all affected
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Return to The Broken Drum