The Year In Pictures 2013

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Year In Pictures 2013

Postby Penfold » Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am

Very nice. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Day seven of my holiday was quite hectic and I took so many photos I have decided to split the pics into two parts. We were lucky enough to have my mate's friend (Mick) as a guide for this one and he took us to my favourite place of the entire trip, the Kennall Vale gunpowder mills. Although standing in ruins now, this place once provided gunpowder for Cornwall's mines and in 1838, a succession of explosions blew up five mills with a part of the roof of one being found about a mile away. The Kennall River also runs though it so a lot of my shots include rather a lot of water.

Surprisingly, not even the locals seem to know of the existence of this place* (getting there involves finding somewhere to park on a single track road and walking through what appears to be someone's drive) but this was great for us as we didn't have to contend with bunches of tourists getting in the way of the photography. :D Mick was telling us that he only discovered the place as a result of doing voluntary conservation work.

* Or maybe they just pretend so they can keep it to themselves. ;)

Anyway, enough blathering and onto the pics;

On the way to Kennall Vale.

And Kennall Vale itself.

I hope no-one's got a weak bladder. :P

Sorry there's so many but this place was absolutely amazing and I hope to get back there in the summer for a full day on my own. Personally, I could have stayed there a lot longer but the others wanted to move on. More pics of this day to follow soon. :D
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Oh my goodness. Those are incredible Penfold! It looks like such a beautiful place to visit.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Loved the way you have the water shots flowing like there were real, almost looked like 3D effects Penners. :clap: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Beautiful, just beautiful! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Not anyway near in that class just taken with my phone when Hill walking today.
On the way reached the smaller one on the left of the highest one on the right.
Getting there
The easier part before I left the path to climb/walk up.
I can see my house from up here across the water, but is a bit hazy.
Is that your Coo
Or is this your Coo too
Feeding time
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 am

Beautiful Dug! Love those yellow flowers, the cows too. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 am

Catch up, You don't want to get too near them unless you have protective clothing on they are Gorse bushes really sharp thorns that will rip your skin open, http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europ ... 234395.htm

Foods [edit]Gorse flowers are edible and can be used in salads, tea and to make a non-grape-based fruit wine.

As fodder, gorse is high in protein[citation needed] and may be used as feed for livestock, particularly in winter when other greenstuff is not available. Traditionally it was used as fodder for cattle, being made palatable either by "bruising" (crushing) with hand-held mallets, or grinding to a moss-like consistency with hand- or water-driven mills, or being finely chopped and mixed with straw chaff.[citation needed] Gorse is also eaten as forage by some livestock, such as feral ponies, which may eat little else in winter. Ponies may also eat the thinner stems of burnt gorse.

Fuel [edit]Gorse bushes are highly flammable, and in many areas bundles of gorse were used to fire traditional bread ovens.[8]
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 am

Very nice Dug. Unfortunately I have a few minor chest problems which is restricting my walking somewhat, so I can't really manage hills too well at the moment . I never realized Gorse had uses other than to look pretty. :lol:
Penfold

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue May 21, 2013 2:15 am

Penfold, I bet your Happy Soul-O-Meter was filled to the brim that day. Spectacular photo's, Kennall Vale looks otherworldly.

Love the coo-beasties Dug, they look like Star Wars extras. Aust sheep don't usually have tails, they cut them off cause of flystrike. They look adorable with them still attached.

I looked up feral ponies in Scotland, have you seen them yourself? Our wild horses are called Brumbies but I've never seen with my own eyes.

You guys live a beautiful part of the world.

I was kinda having a crappy day. Those pics have cheered me up, so thanks!
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 21, 2013 5:17 am

I love gorse when it's in flower - but, as you say, Dug, you don't want to get too close. And the smell is like pineapple. Lovely pics. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chillicamper » Tue May 21, 2013 5:20 am

Great pics Penners - I love the ruins :D

Dug - I love the flowering gorse. It looks great. But I know from experience of having to cut this stuff back on motorway embankments that it is nasty and will hurt you! :lol: :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby chris.ph » Tue May 21, 2013 6:55 am

both really nice photos :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Square12 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:43 am

Both awesome pics, and Jen there are several areas with wild ponies in the Uk, the Scottish ones are only, as far as I'm aware, in the Shetland isles, you wouldn't really go there without a reason, they're cold wet and out of the way so fairly difficult to get too. There are however slightly more accessible, ponies in the new forest in Hampshire and dartmoor in, I think Devon.
I've seen the new forest ones and you can get pretty close to them.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 21, 2013 11:35 am

I looked up feral ponies in Scotland, have you seen them yourself? Our wild horses are called Brumbies but I've never seen with my own eyes.

No SJen I have never seen the wild ones, just a few angry ones when you have nothing for them to eat. ;) :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum