whats your favourite non terry book

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:52 pm

I almost never see the movie first. Holywood ruins Everything. I like to be able to decide whether they did an adequate job or just made pants out of it.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:19 pm

The Stand
Stephen King

When I split from my hubby it was the only book I could afford (in charity shop for 50 pence)

It became my refuge, my release. I was going through a really crappy divorce and this book at that time was my only companion and became my way of escaping the pain.

The original copy is now so tatty I have left it on the shelf in peace as it deserves and bought a new one. Every time I read it I go back to the bad place but at the end I come back to what is now my Wonderful place!

I love this book and read it about once every year. It keeps my feet on the ground and reminds me of what could be and what can be.

Number 2 on the list of not TP books would be the Green Mile, again by Stephen King. OMG I cry so much at this series of books I look like a Panda!
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Books are like that with intelligent people. After mommie dearest convinced my Dad to make me a ward of the state and send me to the Dominican Republic for 1 1/2 years, I found The Hobbit in the library, and Joy of Joys The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and managed to "fake" it into my schoolwork by writing reports of them. They helped me keep my sanity in what had become an insane world at the age of 15. I won't bore you with details but Hellish is a good frame of reference.

Escape is the best thing at times. Sometimes you have to deal with the crap, but there is nothing wrong with a little Journey to the Centre of the Mind. :lol:

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:17 pm

:think: :think: :? :think: I just can't decide between them. :(
The sword and The Elfstone of Shannara by Terry Brooks are deeply in my heart,very very deeply, but obviously I must mention The dragons of Autumn twilight/winter night/spring dawn and the twins trilogy by Weis-Hickman (the ones in which he's alive :oops: ) and The LofTheRings, and OceanoMare by Alessandro Baricco, his best book before he lost it, that I've loved for all my teen years. All this books together, I cannot choose. It would be like tearing my soul apart...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:They helped me keep my sanity in what had become an insane world at the age of 15.
Escape is the best thing at times. Sometimes you have to deal with the crap, but there is nothing wrong with a little Journey to the Centre of the Mind. :lol:

wow, it's so what i think too. Sometimes all you see around you sucks so much you just can't wait to fall back into your fantasy world, or world of fantasy for someone. It saves you from going mad... saves you from the bad kind of madness, i mean. :D
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Yup :lol: :D :lol: and I like it too. :twisted:

Postby Phoenix » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:37 pm

It's hard picking something as it really depends on my mood, but my favourite non-Terry book is probably the His Dark Materials trilogy. I read Northern Lights for the first time when I was 14 and loved it... I've lost count of how often I've read them now! Like TP, His Dark Materials are books I can re-read a lot without getting bored :D
Phoenix

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:20 pm

I've never heard of His Dark Materials.. sounds fantasy. It's a book or a series? Who wrote it/them?
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:23 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:I've never heard of His Dark Materials.. sounds fantasy. It's a book or a series? Who wrote it/them?
The series is indeed fantasy and the writer is Philip Pullman. :D

I must get around to reading these myself one of these days.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:54 pm

The film adaption of one is : The Golden Compass
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:04 pm

The Golden Compass is part of the 'His dark materials' books??
I've read it some years ago, my friend Alisa told me about it, but i don't remember very much of it-.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:54 am

Ooops, I should probably remember that not everyone will have read my favourite books and include the author :P

The Golden Compass is an alternative name for the first book in the trilogy, which is also called Northern Lights. Book two is The Subtle Knife and Book three is The Amber Spyglass :)

Oh, and if you want to watch the film, do it before you read the book(s), it will only annoy you if you do it the other way around :wink:
Phoenix

Postby Taliesin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Very difficult to answer. Other favourites:

His Dark Materials
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabrial Garcia Marquez
Mr Cassini by Lloyd Jones
Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess
Various essays by Jorge Luis Borges
Grendel by John Gardner
Sheepshagger and Runt by Niall Grifffiths
Taliesin

Postby Quark » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Eoin Colfer's 'Artemis Fowl' series always impressed me, but perhaps that's a tad childish for you all. I have to admit, with severe embarrassment, that I've not heard of many of the titles mentioned. I started reading Northern Lights, but I don't think I liked it much. That was years ago, though, so maybe I should get back to it.
Quark

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Quark wrote:Eoin Colfer's 'Artemis Fowl' series always impressed me, but perhaps that's a tad childish for you all. I have to admit, with severe embarrassment, that I've not heard of many of the titles mentioned. I started reading Northern Lights, but I don't think I liked it much. That was years ago, though, so maybe I should get back to it.
:lol: I haven't heard of most of them either. :lol:

Welcome to the site Quark! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books