What made you smile today? 7

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 7

Postby Catch-up » Fri May 17, 2013 12:29 pm

pip wrote:
Hope theres no falling out in Manchester next year between rival discworld gangs :lol:

I think that already happened at one of the cons. There's a joke about it in one of the DW books, something like "the schism of 10:15am". Apparently it was pretty ugly, at least, that's the story I was told.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Fri May 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Just think of the money they had to spend to fly in their mothers to treat their boo-boos.
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Fri May 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Despite wishing I could just stay home today, the summer birthdays party in Vivian's class made me smile. Usually the parents of kids with summer birthdays will arrange a day with the teacher to bring in a treat to celebrate with their class. One brilliant mom suggested that instead of us doing this all separately on 7 different days, we should just all get together and have one celebration. We served up ice cream with all kinds of toppings, the birthday kids took orders and delivered the sundaes. The kids were so excited about it! Added bonus; the principal came in and gave the kids prizes they won for being the best behaved class in the lunch room. My little monkey insisted on making me a sundae too... which she then ate half of. :roll: :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Square12 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Awwww bless, that's a great idea though, mind you I remember most of my birthdays falling over Easter half term so I only got sweets once :(
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby wicked woman » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 pm

raisindot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:That really is good news! :D

What you need to do with the horror DVDs is put new covers on them with really boring titles. Like Vetinari does with his books on camouflage. ;)

That depends on the kinds of horror DVDs they are. "101 Things that Can Go Wrong with Diaper Changing," "How to Survive the First Six Months" and "Colic: The Never-Ending Nightmare" are some of the scariest DVDs I've ever watched. :o

I remember those.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby wicked woman » Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Catch-up wrote:
pip wrote:
Hope theres no falling out in Manchester next year between rival discworld gangs :lol:

I think that already happened at one of the cons. There's a joke about it in one of the DW books, something like "the schism of 10:15am". Apparently it was pretty ugly, at least, that's the story I was told.

Got to watch those storm troopers. They didn't like being invaded by star trek/dr who fans. :roll:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby TinatheConfused » Sat May 18, 2013 4:06 am

Seeing that some of the wildlife migrating from local forest destruction are setting up in our yard. Gotta get rid of the racoons tho, they hurt our cats. There are soooooooo very many birds up here now. Really an amazing amount and variety. I will have to take some pictures while I am getting my garden going again after last summer's hospital insanity and surgeries. I am really trying to start moving. It is so hard to get going, I am just working on accepting being sore. We started a vegetable garden this year and it is coming up already! I will post those pics soon.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat May 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Tina how do you get rid of racoons in your back yard. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Sat May 18, 2013 2:45 pm

the same way you get rid of foxes I assume block all holes in fencing and keep your rubbish under lock and key
oh and I forgot because raccoons are very dexterous gate locks must be padlocked
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Square12 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:12 pm

If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby TinatheConfused » Sat May 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Tina how do you get rid of racoons in your back yard. :?:

We will call a man named Gavin, a friend of my kids, who is "really into trapping things". The joys of motherhood. My city children know people who "Trap" things... :?

We live in the "countyside" surrounded by farm fields, no neighbors, except Racoons, Possum, Rabbits, Voles, Moles, Mice, and the occasional Coyote. Somewhere in our part of the state we have cougars too. It's a jungle of sorts, just none of the joyous Australian critters thankfully.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby TinatheConfused » Sat May 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Ghost wrote:the same way you get rid of foxes I assume block all holes in fencing and keep your rubbish under lock and key
oh and I forgot because raccoons are very dexterous gate locks must be padlocked

A fence would be nice, lol barbed wire doesn't have the same appeal. When we finally sold the family farm last month, the new owner RAZED the entire pasturage, 150 year old oak trees and all to make "More Farmland for his @$%%#$%$#@$ acreage". The rich Barstud tore it up with huge excavators, Ripped the trees out of the earth, then used another Giant 18 ft chainsaw attachment and chopped them into pieces slightly smaller than a wee house sized bits and burnt them all. The fires were HUGE and burned for three days, then continued during 6 inches of rain over two days and started up on their own when the rain stopped. I think it burned for almost a full week. Then he used a Really big Bulldozer to flatten all the small hills until it looks like, well like nothing we would ever have expected.

I was physically sickened to see someone do that to 50 acres of natural beauty. We have more birds than I can comprehend now on our three acres.
TinatheConfused

Postby Dotsie » Sat May 18, 2013 7:08 pm

I went for a run around the village, and a woodpecker landed on a tree right in front of me :D No flipping camera or phone to take a picture though!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Ghost » Sat May 18, 2013 7:19 pm

always the way :D
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Joolz » Sat May 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Not quite as sexy as the original one I wanted but £500 cheaper...Pick her up next week :D
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum