Doctor Who 2013

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Doctor Who 2013

Postby MongoGutman » Mon May 13, 2013 10:18 am

Doctor Locutus
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby simmonds91 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 am

I thought the kids ruined it, mostly because they are rubbish actors, the characters behaviour being so damn cliche and predictable, they also had a bad intro and ending, coming out of the tardis not that surprised being on another planet and at the end of the show simply saying "goodbye" as they walked out.... I also think the cybermen weren't that good this episode either, they are now overpowered and could have dodged the laser blasts from that gun, which also made me think "are they superfast or not? make up your mind!" then again I get that they upgrade individually and whatnot so my only real problem is the animation, I thought the bbc gets paid so much money for the show so why cant the props, cgi etc. be on par with films that premier in hollywood and so on? the superfast walking looked very unrealistic to me.

This series has really dissapointed me, I take it someone new is in charge of the show...
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Square12 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 pm

I felt, I don't know if it was there intention, that the cyber man could act super fast because he alone was using the whole cyber network, whereas when the doctor got the cyber doctor to work out the three moves the cyber,en froze because the whole network was trying to process this one thing.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Square12 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Nyaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! £#%¥*€? cop out ***** ****** ****** ******** ******** ridiculous ******** ******* soufflé ****** ******!

Sorry, I feel better now. Well a bit anyway.
Square12

Postby Square12 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Ok, now I've had time to compose myself, thought the episode was interesting, well acted and well written, but like the rest of this season (with the possible exception of crimson horror) was highly unmemorable, compared to Karen Gillan's run, which I would say include several very memorable moments and episodes with a much better chemistry between the dr and companion. There just seems to be a spark missing between Clara and the dr and I think it boils down to Amelia was the girl who waited, she had wanted to be with the dr and, I think saw him as a big brother figure, almost since childhood, but at the same time had fallen in love with her best friend (Rory obv). Whereas I think Clara has more a mate you have a few drinks down the pub and possibly flirt with but just aren't each others type, would probably play wingman/woman kind of relationship. There's no awe or idol worship from her, which given the revelation from today's episode should be there.
Spoiler: show
Basically yes I could understand a lack of awe and wonder from Victorian and dalek Clara but as they are part of a fragmented Clara who HAS travelled with the dr but the computer absorbed, Russian sub visiting etc had never previously met the dr and somehow that didn't carry over.

Anyway all that is just my opinion, feel free to disagree and or discuss!
Square12

Postby TwoShotTino » Sat May 18, 2013 9:15 pm

I've been disappointed with the whole series, I agree with you on the chemistry. I also think the story lines have been the worst since it was relaunched
TwoShotTino

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat May 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Quite a good episode good to see River Song popping up again, and the name of the Dr. is.... :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jack Remillard » Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 pm

I on the other hand think there is amazing chemistry between the Doctor and Clara. A huge spark. :lol: Absolutely loved their interactions in the Crimson Horror and Hide especially. And fragmented Victorian Clara would have made a brilliant companion... :( As for worship, that's not necessary from a 'companion' in my opinion, but there is clear respect and attraction from her. :)

I think it's been a pretty good run of eight episodes, with three outstanding episodes - Hide, The Crimson Horror and (best of all) The Name Of The Doctor. :) Of the others, I most enjoyed Cold War and the Bells Of St John. Nightmare In Silver could have been better, but I really enjoyed parts of it. :)
Jack Remillard

Postby Square12 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 am

Not worship as such or even necessarily, just some degree of awe some sort of wow factor. However tonight's episode does explain Victorian Clara's unusual response to the interior and exterior spatial difference exhibited by the tardis.
Plus forgot to mention I thought the effects were appalling when compared to some other shows that have done similar inserting new characters into scenes from earlier series episodes off the top of my head "the trouble with tribbles" in Star Trek comes to mind. Yes I know bbc budget is probably lower than that of Star Trek, but I personally feel if you can't get it to look good think of a different way of presenting it.
Square12

Postby Square12 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 am

Oh yeah and when exactly is
River
supposed to have
died last time we saw was in angels of manhattan, which I might have forgotten the ending of but I thought she survived
Square12

Postby simmonds91 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:51 am

Oh river died back when tenant was the dr. I thought this episode was very good, probably because of John hurts intro as the new dr.... Or past dr.... Whatever...
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Jack Remillard » Sun May 19, 2013 7:06 am

Square12 wrote:Not worship as such or even necessarily, just some degree of awe some sort of wow factor.

Well I don't know. I'm sure there have been moments when she's expressed awe, but I don't quite understand why it's necessary for that to be a big part of how a companion is portrayed. I know that's been a big part of the portrayal of the previous post-2005 companions, but I'm not sure why it has to be. :)

But if it doesn't work for you like this, that's fair enough. :)

Yes I know bbc budget is probably lower than that of Star Trek,

Just a bit ... :D Especially since the budget cuts under the current government.
but I personally feel if you can't get it to look good think of a different way of presenting it.

Well, I'm glad they did it, even if it could have been done more slickly if they'd had more resources. :) Classic Doctor Who was always about setting out to tell stories they didn't have anywhere near the budget for, but damn well doing it anyway. :lol:

I really loved the pre-credit sequence. :D It was just so nice to see so much of the classic Doctors on screen in the 50th anniversary year. :)
Jack Remillard

Postby Jack Remillard » Sun May 19, 2013 8:26 am

simmonds91 wrote:Oh river died back when tenant was the dr.

Yes, in Forest Of The Dead. The Doctor made a backup of her mind, and stored it in the Library computer. Very nice to see 'backup River' again, and that she hadn't just been stuck in that computer with no access to the wider universe. :)
Jack Remillard

Postby Square12 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 am

Right, got you, first time we met her, I forgot their comparative timelines are all skewy. I agree that the flashback sequences were nice to have in there but even if they had just done a ghostly over shadow over the original people, implying that she didn't always come back in her own body.
Square12

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre