Snuff for 12 yr old?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Snuff for 12 yr old?

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 pm

I weaned my nephew off Harry Potter and onto proper writing using Philip Pullman
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pip » Wed May 15, 2013 8:32 am

Best to let the Kid know about god and all that as early as possible I suppose.
But seriously His dark materials is a great set of books but I'd recommend it to very few twelve years olds.
I have two sets of the books currently lent out to people (one i'll never see again) . On another note his Grimm fairy Tales is a fabulous book with really good insights and backgrounds. Well worth it.
And giving the local catholic priest a copy of Jesus the Goodman and Christ the Scoundral is always good for a laugh :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am

When I was a kid I loved Grimm's fairy tales. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 am

Its still one of my favourites. I think I have 6 different editions as well as John Connollys Book of Lost Things whose events are all based on Grimms .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 am

I still like them and the fantasy books and TV shows/films based on them, Grimm's were not quite as sanitized as Hans Knees and Bomps a Daisy's books, although I liked then too, just not as much. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 am

Nothing like a story designed to scare the crap out of a child :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 pm

They scare the crap out of me now, at the time I don't remember being particularly distrressed :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 7:31 pm

@ Dotsie :o as you like horror flims I think.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 pm

I love horror films, but at least you know what you're getting! :D

Where do people keep their DVDs that aren't suitable for kids? I've got a lot if horror films :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Have you seen Doomsday, starts at ten on SYFY channel if it's the one I'm thinking of it's quite good. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby =Tamar » Thu May 16, 2013 4:33 am

Dotsie wrote:Where do people keep their DVDs that aren't suitable for kids? I've got a lot of horror films :?

Have you tried a box, ideally lockable, under the bed? With old shoes and stuff shoved in front so the box isn't visible?
=Tamar

Postby Dotsie » Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 am

That's an idea, ta. Don't even think I'll need to lock them away, I struggle to get the drawers out from under the bed myself.
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 am

You could get one of those book/DVDcases that have a pull down cover to hide the contents or one with dark lockable glass doors like they have in Ikea.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 am

As the child grows older, make sure you watch anything like that with him/her so you can explain that sometimes being scared, when you know things are really safe, can be fun. Hence rollercoasters. :D
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Children's Books