Snuff for 12 yr old?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Snuff for 12 yr old?

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 pm

I weaned my nephew off Harry Potter and onto proper writing using Philip Pullman
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pip » Wed May 15, 2013 8:32 am

Best to let the Kid know about god and all that as early as possible I suppose.
But seriously His dark materials is a great set of books but I'd recommend it to very few twelve years olds.
I have two sets of the books currently lent out to people (one i'll never see again) . On another note his Grimm fairy Tales is a fabulous book with really good insights and backgrounds. Well worth it.
And giving the local catholic priest a copy of Jesus the Goodman and Christ the Scoundral is always good for a laugh :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am

When I was a kid I loved Grimm's fairy tales. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 am

Its still one of my favourites. I think I have 6 different editions as well as John Connollys Book of Lost Things whose events are all based on Grimms .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 am

I still like them and the fantasy books and TV shows/films based on them, Grimm's were not quite as sanitized as Hans Knees and Bomps a Daisy's books, although I liked then too, just not as much. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 am

Nothing like a story designed to scare the crap out of a child :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 pm

They scare the crap out of me now, at the time I don't remember being particularly distrressed :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 7:31 pm

@ Dotsie :o as you like horror flims I think.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 pm

I love horror films, but at least you know what you're getting! :D

Where do people keep their DVDs that aren't suitable for kids? I've got a lot if horror films :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Have you seen Doomsday, starts at ten on SYFY channel if it's the one I'm thinking of it's quite good. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby =Tamar » Thu May 16, 2013 4:33 am

Dotsie wrote:Where do people keep their DVDs that aren't suitable for kids? I've got a lot of horror films :?

Have you tried a box, ideally lockable, under the bed? With old shoes and stuff shoved in front so the box isn't visible?
=Tamar

Postby Dotsie » Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 am

That's an idea, ta. Don't even think I'll need to lock them away, I struggle to get the drawers out from under the bed myself.
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 am

You could get one of those book/DVDcases that have a pull down cover to hide the contents or one with dark lockable glass doors like they have in Ikea.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 am

As the child grows older, make sure you watch anything like that with him/her so you can explain that sometimes being scared, when you know things are really safe, can be fun. Hence rollercoasters. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Previous

Return to Children's Books