2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: 2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Mad, there were quite a few people left without a ticket that wanted one, they closed the waiting list because they could not fulfill the ticket demands.

edited to add: the total memberships sold was 950.
8th 2012 24–27 August Birmingham, UK The Eighnnnnnnn Discworld Convention Sir Terry Pratchett Colin Smythe, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen, Rob Wilkins, Lionel Fanthorpe, Stephen Baxter, Bernard Pearson, Jaqueline Simpson, Stephen Briggs, Ian Mitchell 950
editing the edit: they have sold more in two days the 2012 sold in a month, some more stats below.

http://2012.dwcon.org/blog/2012/03/19/playing-numbers
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Molokov » Wed May 08, 2013 5:31 am

We've grabbed a supporting membership (and a hotel room at the Holiday Inn) but aren't sure if we can make the trek from Oz across just yet. Now it's just a matter of saving up money and holiday time so we can afford to go :D
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 08, 2013 10:24 am

Good Idea because you will be able to convert. :handgestures-thumbup:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 am

To what? Offlerism?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 08, 2013 12:04 pm

That 2
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Supporting registration is basically a membership ticket reservation deal, pegged to the date of purchase so you get the discount (if any) that applies if you do decide you'll be able to go ;)

Convention website wrote:Supporting membership includes subscription to all electronic or paper updates prior to the event, but not attendance at the event. Supporting membership may be converted to full membership at any time, at the applicable rate (full or concessionary) on the initial date of purchase. Think of it as a means of reserving a place if you are not sure if you will be able to attend.

They've thought of everything! :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Molokov » Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 am

That is our cunning plan. Although the fact that this morning's email says you can't book a hotel room on a supporting membership may put a crimp in it somewhat...
10-12 April 2015
Molokov

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 am

There are plenty of hotels around that area within walking distance Molokov, you may have seen the Palace hotel has now sold out.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Link to the news page re the Palace hotel bookings - http://dwcon.org/news/2013/05/08/palace ... y-assigned

I don't whether it was a good thing or not that they didn't say how many rooms were available to book there - :geek: it looks like it's made people v. twitchy about getting in early and I see the memberlist is already on A600 (A membership runs from A101 numerically) but G/C1-100 are guests and the committee and that goes up to 58, so that's almost 600 people already signed up... This one's going to be pretty well supported by the looks. :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu May 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Jan I believe they have the full hotel apart from airline staff bookings. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Yep - I got that. :) It was just really hard to find out just what the room capacity was at the Palace - I think I saw somewhere on the convention site or the Palace's own site that there were something in the region of 3-400 bedrooms but whether that's mostly double rooms (most likely) it's certainly a much smaller hotel than the Birmingham Hilton so a rush on bookings was almost inevitable I suppose... But then there are other places you can get into of course - just that getting a room close to everything was a priority for me with my walking stick and I only booked about 6 hours into registrations from it opening on midday Monday and got tickets 375 & 376 so I'm really glad I didn't leave it any longer! :o
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu May 09, 2013 5:20 pm

I was ten minutes or less and I was in the 200's, so it was a bit maniac just glad I did not leave the hotel booking too late. Image
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri May 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Likewise, I am also in the 200's and managed to get a room at the Palace Hotel but I'm glad I didn't leave it
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Molokov » Sat May 11, 2013 3:12 am

Hotel dilemma solved! My girlfriend upgraded to a full membership and has got us a room at the Holiday Inn. Now all I need to do is upgrade and save up money/leave so we can actually go :D
10-12 April 2015
Molokov

Postby TwoShotTino » Tue May 14, 2013 4:12 am

Haven't posted on here for a while but I would just like to say A645 :D
Looks like I'm staying elsewhere this time though as funds wouldn't let me book last week. Not that I spent much timein my room last time :music-rockon:
TwoShotTino

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett