To This Day...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: To This Day...

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun May 05, 2013 9:29 pm

What you could have done is got a crowd of the girls that were being bullied, and got each one the bulies on her own and meted out the same to her, but hindsight is not much good afterwards.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Georgie » Mon May 06, 2013 4:00 am

I was fairly well liked in highschool, but I remember telling some girls to shut it when they were doing some nasty name calling. They cleared off and the other girl they were harassing was so flustered. People really need to stick up for others when they think somethings not on, but they don't. I think its a 'better them than me' thing. Kids can be terrible sometimes .
Georgie

Postby chillicamper » Mon May 06, 2013 6:06 am

That's awful Ghost :shock: :( .

I suffered from bullies at school. My parents were teachers, and at various points in my school life, I had either one or other of them teaching at the school I was at. Junior school was not too bad, I had a couple of good mates and we looked out for each other. Secondary school was not fun. My dad taught German their and I got bullied quite badly at times. My twin sister did stick up for me, but the bullies were good at getting you alone. I once got swung around by my arms and when they let go I was flung head first in to a tree trunk and knocked unconcious. As I moved through the classes I got stronger and eventually stood up to the main bully. He pinned me to a wall. I punched him and left him doubled up on the floor......and I was the one that got told off as he was a prefect! Ho Hum :roll:

I can't look back and say I enjoyed school.

I worry that my son will suffer as well because of his medical condition. He moves school in September, so we have had a long talk about bullying and not suffering in silence.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 am

I think that happens only too often, Chilli. Someone is pushed to their limit and retaliates, only to get into trouble themselves for bullying. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Loopyc » Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 am

I had to make myself watch the video - glad I did. My mum teaches a yoga class in a high school at the moment to help the kids over the exam period and a teacher told her she would be amazed at how many of the kids are on antidepressants as they are so stressed out! What are we doing to our children!?! Glad my son is about to leave college but now the world of work beckons :?
Chilli, I don't know what your sons condition is but I know at my sons college there were children with all sorts of problems and most of the students were very protective of them - there are good kids out there :D
Sorry to hear of your experiences Ghost - I hope your life is better now x
Loopyc

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 am

My boys took up kick boxing quite early on and got to be very good at it. The thing was, it gave them confidence and having that goes a long way to keep the bullies at bay. As far as I know, they never had to use their self defence skills on anyone, it was just knowing that they could defend themselves that gave them an aura of confidence - if you see what I mean.
Tonyblack

Postby chillicamper » Mon May 06, 2013 6:44 am

Tonyblack wrote:I think that happens only too often, Chilli. Someone is pushed to their limit and retaliates, only to get into trouble themselves for bullying. :(

Yeah! This guy picked on me for 4 years. Never remember him getting hauled in to see the head mistress. I hit him once and I get the punishment. But it was worth it.....he never tried it again. I got plenty of dirty looks from him, but even members of his own class year came up to me to say well done! :lol: (he was a year above me)

Loopyc wrote:Chilli, I don't know what your sons condition is but I know at my sons college there were children with all sorts of problems and most of the students were very protective of them - there are good kids out there :D

Thanks for the encouraging words Loopy. I won't go in to detail on an open forum, but we are talking to his school and the new school to make them aware of any issues, and hopefully ensure that they keep an eye out for any problems.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Ghost » Mon May 06, 2013 8:06 am

Loopyc wrote:Sorry to hear of your experiences Ghost - I hope your life is better now x

it is I don't really have any friends but I don't have to suffer being tormented at the hands of other people
but like Chilli I worry for my eldest nephew and his learning issues and how he is going to cope going into highschool this September
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Loopyc » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 am

You seem to have lots of friends here! :)
Starting high school is often harder for the parents/aunties that the kids - I cried the first day my son caught his bus, he was fine once he settled in. I now have to make sure I don't freak out when he goes clubbing for the first time at the end of May!!!! :roll:
Loopyc

Postby Square12 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 am

What loopy said, just cos people may not have met in rl doesn't mean they're not friends! I personally would like to consider most people on here friends, at least the ones who post.
Re bullying, one that I don't remember but my brother assures me happened: one of my brothers best friends was getting bullied by quite a well built kid two years above him, one year below me. I myself am also quite large and I ran up to this kid, shoulder barged him to the floor, pinned him to the ground and yelled in his face to leave my brother and his mates alone, or next time instead of sitting on his chest I'd kick him in the shins! As I say I don't remember this at all but wouldn't surprise me, the one I do remember regarding vigilantism was watching the corridor for teachers when some fellow sixth formers (yrs12 & 13) educated a couple of year 8s about the error of their ways for bullying a classmate because he'd been seen crying because he found out that a girl who'd been acting as a student counsellor for him the previous year had gone off the top of a multi-storey car park!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Catch-up » Mon May 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Very moving video Cheery. Huge hugs for everyone who's had to deal with bullying. I was very lucky growing up that I didn't experience it, witness it or know anyone who was experiencing it. And I'm extremely grateful that our schools are so proactive about dealing with it. The kids get a lot of education on it right from the start. Thing 1 has had more than her share of challenges after her illness and I'm happy to say that I've witnessed first hand how great and understanding the other kids were when she used to have a rough time. I really think most kids are very good kids.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Cheery » Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Hugs from me too for everyone who's had to deal with being bullied... Some of these are real horror stories, I am amazed how many of you had to live through such things. I hope all your lives are better now. It makes me sad, seeing (and having experienced) how people can be so horrible to each other.
And Ghost, I do think you have a lot of friends here, so I think I can speak for all of us, when I say this:
:romance-grouphug:

Bullying also isn't such a huge thing at our schools around here, it was only when I went to the next, bigger village that it all started. But it always stayed verbal, I was never beaten in school. The only time that happened was when I went to a tent camp for two weeks when I was ten. First week started with being called all sorts of names, which I could handle because it wasn't anything new. But the second week the boys who called me names started to throw rocks, pine cones and whatever else they could find at me whenever I walked past. One time, one of them chased me over the whole campground with a rock, threatening to smash it into my head. In the end, he caught me and punched me so hard between my ribs that I fell down and wasn't able to breathe anymore. All the adults did was tell me to ignore them and basically to stop crying and not be such a drama queen. As if ignoring someone who was throwing rocks at you turned the rocks into sponges...

Before that, I'd always loved going to camps and I'd never had any problems with homesickness before. But boy, did I miss my parents then. I didn't go to another camp for years after that.
Cheery

Postby Ghost » Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

thank you I've not been here for long but it's nice to have people who can say they're willing to be friends
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Absolutely! :D

I'm not the greatest person in the world for meeting people face to face, so the internet has been ideal for me. I've made so many great friends online. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Forums like this are great places to make and keep friends - we all have so much in common in liking Pterry for starters! :romance-grouphug:

It's hard sometimes to understand the bully mentality because it's not always the archetypal big hulking person with more brawn that brain and mates to match, especially with the emotional kind of aggression. The stick and stones adage is so poisonous and has become almost cancerous in our now online society, which is why I still give the wider pools of social networking a very wide berth because there are so many nassssty and/or unscrupulous people about.

Big respect (((((hugs))))) to everyone who've had to go through the bully barrel and survived whether or not you've posted about it - the more people talk about the experiences they've suffered through the better as it helps others who can't bring themselves to even write about it. I'd say it might even help 'recovering' bullies come to terms with how they've screwed up people's lives but like chili's prefect (how the hell did he get that gig? :evil: ) I doubt most of them have any basic decency to recognise they were doing anything wrong.... Image
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum