The worst job you've had?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The worst job you've had?

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 am

Stood you in good stead for becoming a nurse?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

:lol: My first job as a kid was helping my dad sweeping chimneys - but that was soooo cool!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Fri May 03, 2013 9:56 am

The Mad Collector wrote:Like Georgie I'm glad to say I've never had a significant problem at work, I've worked ridiculous hours, the worst being 56 hours solid on site during a major implementation that was going horribly wrong, but nothing like what has been recounted here. I was once fired by the Financial Director of a company which will remain nameless (and now no longer exists) as I produced and distributed a set of figures that accurately showed the position of the company, which was not as he had presented it to the board. Not that I knew what he had said in his board report as it wasn't shared with staff. However the IT Director had told me what was going to happen and immediately re-employed me in his department, the Financial Director was apparantly furious but was himself fired 4 months later and I ended up staying there 5 years longer than he did :D

Go Mad. Shows honesty pays. :clap:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun May 05, 2013 12:03 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Stood you in good stead for becoming a nurse?

s'right.

;)
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Joolz » Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 am

Worst job...Servicing the tanks on sewage treatment plants Involved a boat, life jacket and shoulder length rubber gloves Oh and the instruction.."If you fall in- Don't Swallow" :shock: :lol:
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby chris.ph » Sun May 05, 2013 11:46 am

i was crane controller on a job in barry south wales, right under a clock so everytime i looked up at the load i saw what time it was, god the time dragged
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Georgie » Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 am

Joolz wrote:Worst job...Servicing the tanks on sewage treatment plants Involved a boat, life jacket and shoulder length rubber gloves Oh and the instruction.."If you fall in- Don't Swallow" :shock: :lol:

:lol:
Georgie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 05, 2013 12:23 pm

chris.ph wrote:i was crane controller on a job in barry south wales, right under a clock so everytime i looked up at the load i saw what time it was, god the time dragged

I hate it when they do that in a hospital ward. I once spent almost two weeks by myself in isolation, with no books, TV or Radio - and a clock that went really slowly. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Wah? No books?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 05, 2013 2:29 pm

It was a couple of days after I joined the army. I came out with spots all over me, so they moved me to a military hospital and stuck me in a room on my own. No books, TV or radio. Eventually I had a visit from the WRVS lady (after about five days I think) who made sure I had lots of books, puzzles and a portable TV. The only two other visitors I had, that weren't doctors or nurses where the padre and my CO, who got panicky in case he caught something. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 pm

What did the spots turn out to be??
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 06, 2013 5:15 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:What did the spots turn out to be??

German measles they thought. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon May 06, 2013 5:39 am

Oh.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon May 06, 2013 6:02 am

The worst job I had was no job.
Apart from that it must've been before I went studying back in 2001, when I worked in a Styrofoam factory. I did different things there, though, so it wasn't all bad (loading lorries was OK, as was collection and disposal of broken stuff and the collection and storing of finished produce) - what really was bad was working at the machines, several at a time - getting the newly produced pieces out, putting them on a palette, wrapping them up. It was boring and stressful at the same time. Boring because it was, well, boring. Nothing really happened. Stressful because each worker had three machines to look after. Some of the pieces produced were quite large, so they piled up fast and would jam the machine, which would take no heed of this and just crunch the piece it produced before, which caused it not to close tightly, which in turn resulted in a piece of rubbish being produced (+ the crushed piece that was also now fit for disposal).
Add to that the warmth and humidity (Styrofoam is produced by pouring gas filled pellets of styrene (size varies, but it's a bit like sand) into moulds, which are then treated with hot steam. The heat makes the styrene elastic and adhexive, the gas inside expands and the formerly tiny pellets become larger pellets and stick to each other.) It was summer when I worked there, so the temperatures were already quite high. One week I was lucky and got a night-shift, but day-shift was quite ugly.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Penfold » Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:It was a couple of days after I joined the army. I came out with spots all over me, so they moved me to a military hospital and stuck me in a room on my own. No books, TV or radio. Eventually I had a visit from the WRVS lady (after about five days I think) who made sure I had lots of books, puzzles and a portable TV. The only two other visitors I had, that weren't doctors or nurses where the padre and my CO, who got panicky in case he caught something. :lol:

What did the spots turn out to be??

German measles they thought. :)

Don't mention the war! ;)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum