DEATH of capital letters

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: DEATH of capital letters

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

simmonds - there's a gritty, 'economically depressed' city in the NE of England called Hull. There's lots of witty banter along the lines of 'I've just been to Hull and back' hence the elaboration and nothing to do with heaven in any sense ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

I would guess that simmonds knows that, and the "doesn't make sense" refers to the American translation ;) As in, you can go to Hull then to another city, or you could go to heaven and hell, but why would you go to Hull then heaven?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby simmonds91 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I didn't know about the "witty banter" Jan van quirm referred to, if the Americans changed the wording in a way that made use of the witty banter so everyone knew about it then it could work, as it is it makes no sense to someone like me who didn't/doesn't know about this joke about hull.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:44 am

Nah, in the UK southerners think that all the northern cities are depressed. They're afraid of us :twisted:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Square12 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am

I've only ever been through Hull and even then only once on the way back from Scarborough on the day of Diana's funeral. Top tip if you ever need to drive half way across the country do it on the day of a national treasures funeral. Easiest run we ever had, thanks Parisian tunnel!
Last edited by Square12 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby simmonds91 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't plan on travelling anywhere once i'm dead though.... ;)
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:07 pm

How will you get to the cemetery then. ;) :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ferulebezel » Fri May 03, 2013 5:27 am

For some reason I'm not allowed to start new topics. I'm guessing it is because I just registered so I'm asking this in a related topic.

In the American editions Death speaks in small caps in the earlier books, yet in the later editions he changes to all caps, which I think lacks a certain grace. Is this just lazy typesetters or is there a reason for it?
ferulebezel

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 03, 2013 6:04 am

Welcome to the site, ferulebezel! :)

Death has always spoken in Caps in the UK books from the start. I'm not sure why Harper Collins didn't do the same with the early US version, and I hadn't heard of this before. I can only assume that it was a mistake with the typesetters.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 03, 2013 6:11 am

Regarding your not being able to start a new thread - I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that you will be once you've made three posts and your username stops being orange. We've had a lot of spammers trying to sell us kitchens with their first posts recently. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 am

Tonyblack wrote:Death has always spoken in Caps in the UK books from the start. I'm not sure why Harper Collins didn't do the same with the early US version, and I hadn't heard of this before. I can only assume that it was a mistake with the typesetters.

I feel that it is in small caps in the UK though, I know I've read text like that. All large caps would look like shouting, which Death is too cool to do ;)

Welcome to the site! :)
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 am

As far as I can tell, Death makes his first appearance in Colour of Magic in the Corgi paperback version on page 62 (although the passage starts right at the bottom of page 61). His first word in in the following sentence:

Terry Pratchett in Colour of Magic wrote:RINCEWIND? Death said, in tones as deep and heavy as the slamming of leaden doors, far underground.
This was the first Discworld book I read and that sentence made a clear impression that Death wasn't shouting. It also gave a clear impression of just HOW he was talking. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 03, 2013 9:58 am

So did he go from big caps to small caps then? :?
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am

No, this is the bit where Death is surprised to have been jostled by Rincewind as he has an appointment that night with Rincewind, 500 miles in Psephopololis. He goes on to offer Rincewind the use of a very fast horse - which Rincewind declines. "SOD YOU, THEN, Death said." What is somewhat surprising is that Death then, in his annoyance, stops the heart of a fish salesman. "But he didn't take much pride in it." :?

He later goes on to hand Broadman, the landlord of the (then) Broken Drum, a lighted taper in the cellar as Broadman is trying to torch the place. And Death still uses capital letters. :)

I would add that they are not "big" or "small" caps, but caps that are the right size for the other text on the page.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 03, 2013 11:28 am

No, I meant in later books. At some point he speaks with a large capital at the beginning of the sentence, followed by smaller caps for the remaining letters. If you see what I mean. It does look better than all large caps.
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels