The Year In Pictures 2013

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Year In Pictures 2013

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:26 am

Fantastic building :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 am

Wow, that is a seriously cool building. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 am

I have to say though that it has a certain Munsters/Addams Family look about it . . . :? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 pm

I will agree with you there Tony. Is that the same Eureka location they use in the TV programme series.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Nah.

Eureka the TV series (RIP) was filmed mainly near Vancouver, I think.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Conforumist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Cool place Bonnie! Maybe we'll have to add it to our list of visits??
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby jaznbonnie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I have to say though that it has a certain Munsters/Addams Family look about it . . . :? :lol:

LOL! My ancestor's name was Samuel Newsom. He and his brother Joseph Cather Newsom were architects in the San Francisco/Oakland area. They were known for the "brooding" atmosphere of their Victorian style buildings. Image Of course the fact that Eureka weather is foggy, cold and rainy much of the time really adds to the atmosphere. ;) Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of being inside the old mansion as it is a Men Only club now. I just haven't had the time to find and bribe the right person as yet. :lol:

Con, I would love to show you around Humboldt County but you would need to add a few more days to your trip. It is a 4 hour drive north of San Francisco. And you would want to drive along the Avenue of the Giants to see the old growth Redwoods on the way. And maybe take a ride on the harbor cruise boat, Madaket while in Eureka. Image
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Conforumist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm

..guess we'll have to quit our job.. :?:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby jaznbonnie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Conforumist wrote:..guess we'll have to quit our job.. :?:

No, just take a sabbatical. ;) :lol:
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 am

Testing Your Morals

This test only has one question, but it is a very important one. By giving an honest answer, you will discover where you stand morally. The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation in which you will have to make a decision.

Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous.

Please scroll down slowly and give due consideration to each line.

The Situation

You are in London. There is chaos all around you caused by severe flooding. This is a flood of biblical proportions.

You are a photo-journalist working for a major newspaper, and you are caught in the middle of this epic disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless.

You are trying to shoot career-making photos. Houses are collapsing, and people are swirling around you with many disappearing into the water.

Nature is unleashing all of its destructive fury.

THE TEST

Suddenly, you see a man in the water. He is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris.

You move closer ... Somehow, the man looks familiar.....

You suddenly realise who it is …

It is the Muslim Cleric, Abu Hamza, the one-eyed, hook handed bastard who hates non-Muslims and wants the UK to become an Islamic State! You notice that the raging waters are about to take him under forever.

You have two options:

Save the life of Abu.

or

Shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the death of one of the country's most despised and evil men!

THE QUESTION

Here is the question, and please give an honest answer.....

Would you select high contrast colour exposure, or would you go with the classic simplicity of black and white?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 am

Do I really have to shoot him with a camera?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:15 am

Any would do, but the high contrast colour exposure would capture the look of terror on it's face as it was going under, but you would have to stand there to make the piece of shit did not bob back up to the surface like a floater. :twisted:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Chilli, beautiful work as always!

Jaz, that house is incredible!

Bouncy, :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 am

Some more holiday pics as we travelled through Dartmoor to Charlestown where we would be staying for the rest of the week. The weather was awful and we managed to get soaked a couple of times, with Saturday (day four) being written off entirely. We did get to the heritage museum in Charlestown on Saturday but I didn't get too many pics in there.

A Panoramic of the Dartmoor landscape with a pile of rocks (the remains of a stone circle) stuck in the middle of nowhere.

A stopover at Clapper Bridge where I quickly took this panoramic while getting soaked by a sudden downpour.

And a photo taken from a speeding car on our way to our next location.

On the way to Plymouth, we went through to Calstock as my train enthusiast mate to look at the viaduct. To be honest, it didn't do a great deal for me and I really couldn't get his excitement at the prospect of a train being due to go over it in about 'twenty minutes time' (especially as it was cold and wet). I'm sure engineering/building/railway enthusiasts hold a different opinion to me and I'm looking forward to seeing his pic so I might be able to change my opinion - I just couldn't see the photo there.

We got to Plymouth and spent some time at Plymouth Hoe. The weather did brighten slightly with some sunshine breaking through in places. We also got rained on quite a bit. :lol:

Finally got to Charlestown and here's our cottage where we stayed. It was very 'olde worlde' inside, very cosy and comfortable (more pics to follow).

Charlestown Harbour.

Part of the Heritage Centre walkthough. We even managed to get wet from the rain dripping through the tunnels. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 am

Those really are very good. I think the overcast skies are far more interesting than clear blue (even if it means you didn't get good weather on your holiday).

Were the first two pictures showing your use of a zoom lens, or did you just walk closer? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum