The worst job you've had?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The worst job you've had?

Postby chillicamper » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 am

So, I used to work in tree surgery, forestry and landscaping - till my shoulder had other ideas :roll: :lol:

Looking back, there were some horrible jobs that I did, but I still prefered it to working in an office. And most of the time, working with trees in lovely settings was just the best thing ever.

The list of the worst bits are as follows:

- Climbing a tree to help rescue a cat - it pee'd on me - I left it there :shock:
- Working in some of London's parks - you had to clear the ground of various excrement so your ropes didn't get soiled - dog, cat, tramp etc ewww!
- Planting large trees round the Channel Tunnel development - we had to steady them with wire ropes (like tent ropes). When it was freezing, you used to have to keep a flask of coffee/tea with you to pour on your hands when they froze to the metal :shock:
- strimming the grass around trees planted on the Channel Tunnel project and finding you are strimming bits of old WW2 bombs/incendiary devices :shock: :shock: :shock: that WW2 bombers dropped on there return trips if they had had a failed raid and were coming back damaged to land belly up. Apparently they tried to dump these over the sea, but sometimes missed :shock:

However, none of these jobs were as bad as working in a travel insurance claims department. getting sworn at, threatened and abused daily. You'd often see someone rushing out of the building to 'get some fresh air' (i.e. have a quick cry). The general public can be horrible sometimes.

At least the trees never talked back - well only if you picked the wrong mushrooms anyway ;)

So, come on then - what's the worst job that you have ever had???
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Re: The worst job you've had?

Postby Ghost » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 am

I've worked in a few charity shops as part of a vocational qualification but the first one was the worse
my manager would have open talks to me about my "weight problem" and how I should use my dole money to
join a gym and hire a personal trainer to help me lose weight and this wasn't just a one off conversation this was once a week for three months now at the time I was about a size 22 and I was aware of that fact but that gave her no right to have those little talks with me in the first place so on my last day I wrote three letters one to her explaining that she made my life working under her supervision hell one to the head of OXFAM giving times, dates and summary's of each of her conversations and the third letter was to new deal giving the same details that I put in the letter to the OXFAM two weeks later she was summoned to explain her actions towards me and less than two years later that shop was closed
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Dotsie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 am

Working in a London hotel, in reception. It was a live-in position, my room had cockroaches in it, there was a leak in the corner that turned into a waterfall and soaked my things but I wasn't allowed to move them because I was working so the porters moved my things to another room. I was on a trainee wage but I would get left by myself, even though I had no idea how things worked, and if the till was down it came out of my wages. One night I didn't get finished until the early hours, I was flipping exhausted, and the next day a guest complained about me to the manager because I closed my door too loudly. The chef felt up all the female staff regularly, and the 'joke' was that depending how much you put out determined how well you ate. Obviously I actually lost weight, I ended up eating omelette every night.

In the end I walked out at the start of a shift with my bag already packed, the manager was livid but cos she was a bitch I didn't care.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 am

When I was in college I worked for a large hotel chain. Great health benefits, flexible hours so I could work around classes, tuition reimbursement, dirt cheap room rates (and this was back when airfare was really cheap too, so I got to slip away to the Keys or Cancun on a regular basis). Downside, lots of unstable people working there (sometimes that was a benefit, from an entertainment perspective), unprofessional behavior and absolutely rock-bottom wages.

I decided to work an extra job for more spending money. My first try was a supermarket just down the street from our apartment. They put me behind the ice cream counter, scooping ice cream and making cotton candy. I don't think I lasted a week. The sugar in the cotton candy machine would fly all over the place, so you'd get pelted with tiny, stinging, sugary shrapnel. Plus, it stained. I would walk out of there with streaks of pink from head to toe. And usually the only people who came to buy cotton candy and ice cream were parents who were trying to calm miserable kids. I can appreciate this now, but it was overwhelming then.

My second try was as a "fragrance model" in a large department store. You know, the people who offer to spray you with perfume? First of all, I learned quickly not to actually hold a perfume bottle. You might as well be standing there with an AK-47. One man actually threw himself in between me and his teenaged son, screaming "Don't you dare!" :roll: Honestly. So I would only hold those tiny samples or cards that were sprayed with the fragrance. Spraying those cards got the perfume all over my hands and it would actually merge with my nail polish somehow so that I could never wash the smell out. To this day I have no interest in wearing perfume. And if I thought the people at the hotel were unstable... working at the department store was like working in an insane asylum. You had to figure out what kind of crazy each inmate was. It was like navigating a mine field. And I won't even go into my unique experiences working at the men's fragrance counter. :roll: Although there was a salesman who worked there that I absolutely loved!! He could talk without moving his lips and while his head was down ringing people up he would say outrageous things that only I could hear. I would be doubled over laughing at apparently nothing, looking like a nut job myself. However, unlike the ice cream counter job, this job paid a ridiculously high hourly amount. So I ended up doing it for something like 3 years.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Square12 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:24 pm

When I was at uni I turned my hand to working for a major double glazing company, it was horrible, the pay was purely commission based, my job was to knock on people's doors and secure a "lead" basically a lead was securing an appointment for an actual salesman that would then come round. Often the only way that you could get a lead was to tell someone that their home was not secure unless they had this specific brand of double glazing. Suffice it to say I wasn't prepared to do this so after 10 days, having got one lead from a couple who were renovating the house anyway. It worked out that I was getting paid £1.04 an hour! So I jacked it in.

Also, worked in a McDonalds, it was about 10 years before I ate there again!
Plus various temping jobs, car park attendant, recycling plant rubbish separator, data entry clerk...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby majomull » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:52 pm

When I lived in Idaho I worked for a store that was a combination furniture sales/rental and pawn shop. Having to deal with people with some form of addiction issue trying to hawk anything that looked valuable, having them freak out when you turned them down was less than pleasant. Part of the job also entailed repoing the rental furniture when folks got too far behind on payments. " Daddy why is that man taking our TV?"
Whiskey is sunlight held together with water.
majomull

Postby TinatheConfused » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:19 pm

Automobile manufacturer in what turned out to be Quite the misogynistic work environment. When I worked "On the Line" for a while, I came to realize just what went on in the raised offices above us. Both of the long walls were all windows, so these grown men, the Supervisors, would peruse the latest offerings on who would be able to get into Whom's panties and they would make bets on who would land them.

There were over 5,000 people at Chrysler in Belvidere. Every one of them has an opinion about you, your standing in the community, your food choices, your hair/nails/clothing/acne medication/deodorant/choice of TP... and your lovely co-workers are ready and willing to stab you in order to look good with others of their ilk. " Ah'll Cut You Bitch " was to be heard in the locker room and restrooms. You simply didn't confront anyone. One woman, named Elaine, would come into the public restroom during break and start to cuss out the stall occupants for not hurrying so she could get back to her boyfriend during break.

I was married to a foreman before I started working there full time... We had a baby... so many of those people hated him with a ferocity I have rarely seen in the outside world, therefore, they took it out on ME. Like I had access to his past and had somehow been connected to the pain he caused them. I was spit at, cussed out, forced to work next to people who thought it was great fun to snarl at me every "job", 72 cars/hour moving down the assembly line and frighten me into cringing when they took a swing at me. (They knew they were faking and not actually trying to hit me, but they were damn close) Then, there was the opposite end of the spectrum, the men who would essentially "trap" you in the part of the car you were working on that moment and take "ADVANTAGE" of you. Good times. Oh the UNION, really only had a select group of people they would protect. After my "almost" rape, I was scared to go to work. Many of the workers drank on the job, and some of them had no self control. It was like an absolutely awful high school where you didn't dare "tattle" on anyone. My doctor's receptionist commiserated with me about how many of their patients, Men AND Women, were from Chrysler and suffering from PTSD due to the "Joy" of working there.

One ass, whose job I had to learn so he could take the next day off, took my combination lunch/purse/personal items bag and dumped it all over the floor, scattering everything over about 5 square feet, then laughed loudly, pointing at me and making fun of me. I just started picking all of my stuff up and trying not to cry. He knew my ex husband's ex-wife and assumed that I was as much of a witch as she was. He was trying to Show everyone what kind of evil I would turn into when confronted. Wrong, just because Some people will throw Huge screaming fits over something like that, doesn't mean we all will.

Had I only known, if I had only believed the HR rep when I came in one time begging for a job, any job in 1982. He told me that I didn't want to work there, to go anywhere else. I just had not understood what kind of hell I would be letting myself in for. Physical pain goes away, that crap doesn't.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Sheesh, Tina, that's awful! :o
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 pm

What a bunch of arseholes they were. :shock:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 pm

That's awful Tina, my story comes nowhere near as close.

Many years ago, I started working nights shelf-stacking for a large supermarket chain. On the first day, my supervisor and trainer (big, muscular type with an IQ of a house brick) stood in such a way as my back was pressed to the wall and he was leaning almost nose to nose with me. He then proceeded to tell me his previous trainee had tried reporting him for bullying and what was I going to do about it if I didn't like his training methods? I looked him square in the eye then, quite calmly and simply, told him that I would happily give him his answer outside in the car park; either right away, or later when his back was turned. I think he was a bit surprised by a newbie reacting like that because, as like most bullies do when confronted, he backed off rather quickly and left me alone from then on. :lol:

I walked out a couple of months later (without even handing in my notice or informing them of my intentions after I sat in the same room listening to his and the overall manager's disgusting racist diatribe of how "n*****s and w**s were coming over here and taking 'our jobs' and laughing about the stuff that they made our black and asian workers do. :evil: That was the final straw as far as I was concerned and I just went. (I was pretty crap at the job anyway.)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Loopyc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:50 am

Wow - sorry to hear people have had such awful times :cry: puts my cleaning mashed up fish and chips off an old ladies bare bum into perspective!! :| the things we do for money. . . . . . . .
Loopyc

Postby chillicamper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 am

eeek :shock: Some of these stories are horrific. Makes my jobs seem like a holiday camp.I am still astounded at how much bullying there is in the work place - even nowadays. I've seen it myself, but nothing as awful as Tina's experiences. :(
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Georgie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:11 am

I wonder how long ago that was..? Those sorts of stories are the horror stories you see on the Current-Affair type shows. I hope they all had their bad karma bite them in the behind.

I'll brighten up the thread by saying I haven't ever had a bad job, touch wood!
Georgie

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:37 am

Like Georgie I'm glad to say I've never had a significant problem at work, I've worked ridiculous hours, the worst being 56 hours solid on site during a major implementation that was going horribly wrong, but nothing like what has been recounted here. I was once fired by the Financial Director of a company which will remain nameless (and now no longer exists) as I produced and distributed a set of figures that accurately showed the position of the company, which was not as he had presented it to the board. Not that I knew what he had said in his board report as it wasn't shared with staff. However the IT Director had told me what was going to happen and immediately re-employed me in his department, the Financial Director was apparantly furious but was himself fired 4 months later and I ended up staying there 5 years longer than he did :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri May 03, 2013 3:10 am

My dad was an Undertaker. If he had to collect a body from another town he used to volunteer one of us kids & our 'job', his words, was to keep him company on the trip. The things I used to think about regarding what was in the back of the van.

So, my first 'job' was my worst job.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Next

Return to The Broken Drum