Work antics

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Work antics

Postby Del » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Square12 wrote:Playing the smiley doors game: smiley doors is when you arrive at your destination airport , have collected your cases and are then greeted by a bunch of uniform clad wide smiles
:o That happens? Where? :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:45 pm

When my dad started working at a place, the other guys sent him to a local hardware store for a rubber hammer and some glass nails. The joke was on them when he came back with a rubber mallet and some glazing nails and they had to pay for them. :lol:

And my brother worked in a steel works where he told the new guys that Prince Charles was going to pay a visit to the place and they needed to paint a large circle with a letter H inside so that the helicopter could land there. They spent ages getting it just right. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Del, British and Irish people often go into a travel agents in the uk and simply pay for a "package holiday" wherein they get: flight, transport from their airport to hotel, hotel, and the service of a team of English speaking staff in resort. On the coach to and from their hotel they usually have one of that team to tell them about all the local differences, time, currency, electricity, dialling codes for phoning home etc, then on their first day they are invited to a welcome meeting, where they get told all about the hotel, local facilities, available tours etc. throughout their stay if they have any questions etc they can go and see a member of the team or phone a local number manned by one of the team. Also the team often arranges various forms of entertainment: cabarets, pub crawls, walking tours etc.
I've been a member of one of those teams in Tunisia, Marmaris (Turkey), Romania (ski), Andorra (ski), Menorca (Spain), Costa del Sol (Spain) & Corfu (Greece). In ski resorts the team also arranges, ski lessons, lift passes and equipment hire.
I'm ginger spice
My first season
Me as a Scottish customer in a cabaret sketch
Uniform clad wide grins!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby janet » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Normal practice in engineering factories for the wet-behind-the-ears apprentice to be sent to Stores to collect the rubber hammer etc. I've heard of being sent for the long weight or the long stand too.......always happy to oblige :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:15 pm

:lol: Great stories!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

When I worked at Rolls Royce Motors the standard one was to be sent for half inch washers with a quarter inch tolerance (engineering types have more esoteric jokes) It sounds OK until you realise that anything with a hole in it that is half an inch across with a quarter inch tolerance (i.e. allowance for error) means that it needn't exist at all as it could be a quarter of an inch out from the inside and from the outside which negates the need for any metal to be there at all :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Square12 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh yeah in my brief stint as a bar back i.e. fridge stocker and general dogsbody for a national chain of night clubs, they tried sending me for a skirting board ladder, so I went out back sat down and relaxed for about 5 or 10 minutes, came back and told them that I found it but unfortunately it was under a load of tins of tartan paint and someone would have to help me move them, the looks on their faces was priceless!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby janet » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:29 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:When I worked at Rolls Royce Motors the standard one was to be sent for half inch washers with a quarter inch tolerance (engineering types have more esoteric jokes) It sounds OK until you realise that anything with a hole in it that is half an inch across with a quarter inch tolerance (i.e. allowance for error) means that it needn't exist at all as it could be a quarter of an inch out from the inside and from the outside which negates the need for any metal to be there at all :roll:

There's posh!!
My info was from Thorn lighting :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 pm

I once left our union rep a note to ring one of the branch offices and to speak to a postal officer named Jenny Taylior as she was having problems.

He couldn't understand why the people at the other end were laughing so much. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 pm

One of my first jobs was in a pub. The bouncer there told the other barmaid he could make her nipples "wake up", ahem, without touching them, and if he couldn't, he'd buy her any drink she wanted. So she agreed :roll: He reached across, gave her boobies a good feel, then said "what drink would you like?"

I couldn't believe she didn't know what was going to happen :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum