Fantastic Photos of Abandoned Places

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Fantastic Photos of Abandoned Places

Postby Del » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:50 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! WOW! WOOOOOW! WOW! all I could say! WOOOOOOW!
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:54 pm

I always loved the bit in Day of the Triffids where Bill decides it's too risky to make trips into London as the buildings are falling down due to nature taking over. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Flat Holm island in the Bristol Channel is a fascinating place for abandoned buildings. There's what's left of a cholera isolation hospital, Victorian military barracks and lots of gun emplacements built, but never used, for fear of a French invasion.

There's also a fog horn station and I can still remember when I was a kid, hearing those horns blowing on foggy mornings. :)

Fog Horn Station

Remains of hospital

Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm

I just found this site with pictures of the Victorian fortifications on Flat Holm. The site has been created by someone who takes photos of abandoned places in the UK. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:43 pm

This is a fantastic thread and I love a good old ruin to explore. On the hols we found an old abandoned tin mine set in woodland with plenty of flowing water. The buildings are largely intact but overgrown and wouldn't look out of place in a 'Lord of the Rings' style setting. I'll be posting more on this place later but have edited this pic early to show the place.

My mate's ex-colleague acted as a guide for this trip and only discovered the place through voluntary conservation work. It is one of those hidden gems that even the locals don't seem to be aware off since it is relatively hard to get to. You have to find somewhere to park on a single track road and walk through what appears to be someone's driveway to get there. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:55 pm

On Hootalinqua Island on the Yukon River there is the abandoned remains of the SS Evelyn, a river paddle steamer that was dragged ashore to be repaired and just left there. I took the photos in 1995 when I was kayaking in the area. There are a lot more shots of abandoned places on that trip if anyone is interested. Apologies for the quality as it isn't great as they are scans of old prints.

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Del » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Penners... you should repost that pic you took of the little church all covered in moss. Sad to see it decay but it was a gorgeous pic.

I hae just spent aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages looking for a link someone posted on Facebook a few weeks ago... it was all abondoned astromony stations. They were amazing. I cant find it. :(
Del

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Del wrote:Penners... you should repost that pic you took of the little church all covered in moss. Sad to see it decay but it was a gorgeous pic.

I hae just spent aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages looking for a link someone posted on Facebook a few weeks ago... it was all abondoned astromony stations. They were amazing. I cant find it. :(

You mean this one. We're planning to go back there soon when the bluebells are in bloom and there are leaves on the trees. :D

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Del » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks Bouncy :D

My favourite "abandoned" place... Paronella Park in Far North Queensland. It shows how you can marvel at the "lost" history of a place and keep that wonder and yet not let it fall into total decay. So many beautiful images of this place that I have put in a few links.

Paronella Park was built in the 1930s by José Paronella, a Spanish immigrant. José Paronella built facilities, including tennis courts and a cinema and a ballroom inspired by Spanish castles, to provide entertainment for the public. Since his death, a fire, a cyclone and several floods have badly damaged the park and the buildings. The park changed owners several times until, in 1993, it was bought by the present owners.

He actually installed hydro power in 1935 but I dont think he realised HOW BIG the rainfall got during a big wet season (monsoon) up that way. (and STILL it stands... he certainly built it strong)

Del

Postby Conforumist » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:21 am

Penfold wrote:
Del wrote:Penners... you should repost that pic you took of the little church all covered in moss. Sad to see it decay but it was a gorgeous pic.

You mean this one. We're planning to go back there soon when the bluebells are in bloom and there are leaves on the trees. :D

This is still my wallpaper. :)
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Oh my gosh... such amazing pictures! Love the abandoned boat, it looks so strange.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Donaldnjj » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Well Don yank Place is no secret. It was discontinued, after Amtrak ceased assistance there. Although I am not sure, exactly when that was. It's difficult to believe but detroit was once a very New york like city. It would be awesome, if it could be converted around somehow but that, seems almost difficult.
Donaldnjj

Postby phalarope » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:09 am

A long shot of the house on Holland Island is the wallpaper on my home laptop. It was a navigation mark for mariners for years, being the only large structure out there in a network of marsh islands and shoals. I have helped band many pelicans on Holland, and was there just a week before the house finally fell, in Tropical Storm Lee in 2011. There is not much left of the island - mostly marsh, a cemetery on a bit of ground slightly above sea level, and a clump of trees where the pelicans nest. You can't really tell from a distance where the house was anymore, and the backhoe that sat alongside it is completely submerged (the owner spent the last several years before it fell trying to save it by building a berm, planting saplings in salty sand, replacing doors and windows). I have a letter sent from Deal Island to Cambridge via Holland Island in the 1800s; it was large enough to have a school and a post office. Many houses were moved from Holland to various places on the mainland in the early 20th century, as it became apparent that the island was eroding away.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum