Facebook application/games

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:02 am

Now that has to be wonderful in anyone's book Tiffany - so glad for you both :D *hugs lots*

I also agree with you and several other on Facebook in general and, like you I much prefer MSN as you're mainly 1 on 1 (I refuse to talk to more than 2 people at a time and even then only with people I 'know' very well indeed and only when it's vital that we talk together in real time).

The number of horror stories I've heard with e-stalking bullying and vicious gossip means I never have and never will go near communities like Facebook and Twitter (the fact that Jordan/Katie does that put the cap on it for me :x ) as they're far too intrusive and a private life should remain private except to a very few people who are prepared to put up with the utterly trivial and mundane - nobody's that interesting for heaven's sake :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:24 pm

I also chat to him on MSN & we have met as well, Pooh, Dotsie & Jan.
He lives about 19 miles from me. What a small World we live in. :D
I can manage 3 at once on MSN, though at first I got horribly muddled. :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Tiffany wrote:I also chat to him on MSN & we have met as well, Pooh, Dotsie & Jan.
He lives about 19 miles from me. What a small World we live in. :D
I can manage 3 at once on MSN, though at first I got horribly muddled. :lol:
They have monthly meetings on MSN on the Cunning Artificer board - I've been to them when there's been 20+ people on there. Talk about confusing! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:34 pm

I have had group conversations too, with 3 of us, now that is confusing, specially if everyone types at the same time. :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby superfurryandy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Was one of the early wave of Facebookers in the UK and have never encountered any of the problems mentioned here - I only put what I want to be known on there and have made new 'real life' friends through it. Only problem is some of the damn games - sooooo addictive!

To be honest, I've seen more problems with bullying and stalking on message boards.
superfurryandy

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:05 pm

superfurryandy wrote:Was one of the early wave of Facebookers in the UK and have never encountered any of the problems mentioned here - I only put what I want to be known on there and have made new 'real life' friends through it. Only problem is some of the damn games - sooooo addictive!

To be honest, I've seen more problems with bullying and stalking on message boards.

sO DO YOU DO MOUSEHUNT OR mYTHMONGER OR fISH WRANGLER?
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:07 pm

The_Discworldaholic wrote:
superfurryandy wrote:Was one of the early wave of Facebookers in the UK and have never encountered any of the problems mentioned here - I only put what I want to be known on there and have made new 'real life' friends through it. Only problem is some of the damn games - sooooo addictive!

sO DO YOU DO MOUSEHUNT OR mYTHMONGER OR fISH WRANGLER?

I ... deal... with ... Capslock... :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 am

lol yep soz aboout that i wernt shouting, just couldnt be bothered about changing it after i typed it in, didnt realise
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 pm

LOL hehehe
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Beth » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:39 am

I love Facebook I really do. I depend on it because I live so far away from most friends and family. Both my kids are on and it's a good way to kind of gauge what is happening with them from day to day. Facebook for me is like what it should be, living in a virtual community. You get a sense of what people you know are thinking and feeling from day to day and can talk to them if you wish or not as you wish. I'm savvy enough to know when not to open a message from a friend and it's only happened three times and I knew when I saw the subject that it was not legit and I forwarded it to the abuse center and then let the friend know. I've never been hacked or gotten a virus. I don't do any of the stupid applications and everyone knows not to send me any. If people are annoying I hide their feed and let them get on with it. I know almost everyone on my Facebook in person with the exception of some Discworld friends. I joined Facebook because of the 2008 Birmingham convention and have been hooked ever since. I don't play any of the games but Word Twist and Scramble and I'm addicted to Word Twist.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Beth » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:41 am

I also don't get many random friend requests and I have all my photos/videos etc on "friends only" status so people can't direct others to my photos. I really do get chapped when someone puts in a friend request with no message.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:59 pm

I love Facebook - I keep in contact with my sister and see photo's nearly everyday of my nephew. I also have met a few new people. Got in touch with a few people I knew from ten years back ... AND best of all ... I got into contact with a girl who was my best friend from over twenty years back - A girl I haven't forgotten and I have re-forged a friendship with a girl I didn't even remember being friends with in the first place!!!! I rarely add people I don't know - there is a couple of people on there that I have never met but who knows... And I haven't had any bullying or such like because all the people I know or are very friendly with other people I know!

Also you put in what you feel comfortable with ...

I was bullied on more forums than I have yet on Facebook.

I like playing Willy's Sweet Shop by the way ... all those cyber sweeties, and they don't pile on the pounds either! And you're helping disadvantaged children ... so win win win!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby thelibrarian » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:26 am

I love Facebook, and I must be one of the most antisocial people I know, it's mainly the games that drag me in :lol:

I have the chat feature disabled, I already use irc for chatting as it's where I find more like minded people. And I also only have my 'friends' able to see personal info, thou to be honest there isn't really much personal info to see. I am admin on a couple of Global Pages, one for the site I work for and one for a new TV show called Flash Forward. As these pages have thousands of members the last thing I want is personal info/photos being passed about, lol.

In my experience I would agree that bullying tends to happen more on forums and in chat rooms, it's far easier to ignore people on FB than it is on boards. Cliques also form easier on a forum than on a social networking site, and they tend to cause the most problems when it comes to interweb bullying as they have a gang mentality that egg each other on.
thelibrarian

Postby Quark » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 pm

I've always steered well clear of these social networking thingummies. Myspace, MSN, Facebook, Twitter, etc. It's not really my cup of tea to post whatever I did today, firstly because my life's boring, secondly because I'm not dedicated enough to do it every day, thirdly because I'd only ever be contacted by my fellow students who knew me in real life, and, hating me for being intelligent, would promptly flame me. I think, to be honest, it's far more useful to older audiences, who have friends they haven't seen in years and so on, as opposed to teenagers, who see each-other every day and never talk about anything much at all.

I find that computer games aren't a very good medium for cyber-bullies to act, mostly because if they're really annoying you can just blow their head off. I remember arguing with one guy on Team Fortress 2, during a heated capture-the-flag, about whether Twilight was rubbish or not (I can't stand it). He was trotting all this rubbish out about how we should 'open our hearts to twilight' and so on.

That's when he walked around the corner onto my sticky mines.
Quark

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Tiffany wrote:I'm on Facebook, but I can't understand it at all. :? :? :roll: :roll:
I was on it and it drove me crazy* so I left. :lol:

you mean you can delete your profile?? How???
CrysaniaMajere

PreviousNext

Return to Games