Re: The Year In Pictures 2013

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:56 pm

I've never been to one of their stores would love though
I might drop in after the expo in November :D
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby Penfold » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 am

I haven't been to Forbidden Planet in years, I must make the effort this year.

It's interesting that the eagle laid her eggs on the ground as I thought they were exclusively tree nesting birds. Great pics and love the llama. :D

Time for day two of my Cornwall holiday. The weather was not kind today with heavy clouds and showers, interspersed with flashes of sunshine. It was quite hazy as well, in places, so many of the photos that I took were not as crisp and clear as I would have liked.

This day we followed the West Somerset Railway chasing after steam trains. One of the guys I was with used to work on the trains (British Rail) and is a bit of an engineering nut and train enthusiast, so he was in his element.

The day started at Bishop's Lydeard where we could get fairly close to the train.

And the reason I'm not so keen on steam trains;

From here we followed the track to Watchet but couldn't find a good spot to photograph the trains. We settled on the harbour instead.

After an hour or so on the harbour wall, we travelled on to the beach at Blue Anchor where the rail track ran alongside. Unfortunately, the train stopped 'steaming' just before it got to us.

We then decided to go on to Minehead and the rail station there in order to try and photograph the train leaving the station, despite the rain that was falling (it stopped just after we got onto the platform). To be honest, I was getting a little bored with trainspotting by now but Minehead was quite quaint and we later went up the hill to overlook the town.

A couple of interesting places on the platform;

From the station, we went into town and up the hill to the outskirts. The view over the rooftops was quite spectacular but then we were hit by a really heavy shower and took shelter in this church.

The view from the church door while keeping dry;

And some views from near the church after the shower had passed by.

From here, we took a drive out into the country to a place near Bossington Hill and Selworthy Beacon. Unfortunately, the weather was still against us with a heavy haze so the pics were not of the best quality;

And on the way to our lodgings at Whiddon Down just north of Dartmoor, where we would spend the night before travelling to our permanent holiday base in Charlestown, we encountered this wonderful double rainbow. It's just a shame that there was nothing in the field to go with it. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 am

Very good Penners, great atmosphere in the railway photos :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:54 am

I liked the train pictures, and the view from the church door looked like it was taken behind glass, the weather produces strange effects sometimes. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:14 am

That's Somerset! I know Minehead quite well as my partents were both from that area and we once rented a cottage near that steep hill by the church.

Lovely photos Penners! Really impressive. You might not be very keen on steam trains, but that picture where the train is shrouded in smoke and steam is excellent! :D

By the way - we have a Forbidden Planet in Cardiff. Not as impressive as the London one, but still worth a visit. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 am

Cracking pictures! :D You could always photoshop a dinosaur in that last one ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am

OMG. Amazing photos Penfold! I could look at those all day. Really, you're going to have to set up shop and start selling prints. And I love Dotsie's suggestion! :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Dotsie wrote:Cracking pictures! :D You could always photoshop a dinosaur in that last one ;)

Like Tyrannosaurus Rex chasing Steve Peregrin Took. ;) Penners will probably get that one. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby michelanCello » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Those are beautiful, Penners! :D I love the way you can almost feel like being there :D it's as if they weren't simply pictures, but actual pieces of the area :) :clap:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby chillicamper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 am

Great photos Penners. I liked the rainy shots actually - the way the clouns and mist were hanging in the hills :D
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Square12 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am

I heard that name I think on QI the other day mr peregrine took for whom the character is named, but can't remember the context, but surely photoshopping a leprechaun in would be better?
And as usual awesome photos ESP the one of the train with I assume an effect to slightly darken the surrounding bits
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 am

Square12 wrote: surely photoshopping a leprechaun in would be better?

No. Dinosaurs are the most awesome thing ever :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 am

Nice pictures Penfold. I recently bought myself a DSLR, but I've got a lot to learn to get the best out of it. Don't suppose you know of any good online guides?

I like Charlestown, look out for the tall ships, the carving of Neptune on Charlestown Road and the 'great pyramid' - if you take the coastal path east to Carlyon Bay and look inland you'll see it. The Maritime Museum is also well worth a look. Hope you enjoy you holiday.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Penfold » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 pm

KnightOfFewWords wrote:Nice pictures Penfold. I recently bought myself a DSLR, but I've got a lot to learn to get the best out of it. Don't suppose you know of any good online guides?

I like Charlestown, look out for the tall ships, the carving of Neptune on Charlestown Road and the 'great pyramid' - if you take the coastal path east to Carlyon Bay and look inland you'll see it. The Maritime Museum is also well worth a look. Hope you enjoy you holiday.

Thank you. Some tips for using the camera would be to use the 'aperture priority' setting and let the camera sort out the shutter speed. That way, you have full control of the depth of field (around f/11 to f/16 being the best for landscape photos and focusing on a point about one third into the frame). With modern cameras, you can play around with the ISO to increase shutter speed as desired although I try to keep mine set at 100 and only very rarely above 400 depending on the light. With regards to shutter speed, this should be the same, or quicker, than the focal length of the lens to avoid camera shake (e.g., a 300mm lens should be used with a shutter speed of 1/300th of a second). A sturdy tripod or 'Image Stabalizer' on the lens allows a slower speed to be used. Lastly, check your histogram (should be on your cameras LCD somewhere. If both ends are in the middle, then the exposure should be fine. If it falls off on the right, then your image will be overexposed; and on the left underexposed.

I found THIS site to have very useful tips and lessons, especially for beginners, as does THE TALK PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM. I hope this helps but if you (or anyone else) have any questions, feel free to ask me and I will try my best to help.

My photos of Charlestown will follow shortly but the cottage we stayed in was about two doors down from the carving of Neptune. There seems to be a tall ship permanently moored in the harbour which I believe belongs to the BBC (or another film company) and is used for filming. Unfortunately, this part of the dock is privately owned and we couldn't get right up to it. :(

Square12 wrote:I heard that name I think on QI the other day mr peregrine took for whom the character is named, but can't remember the context, but surely photoshopping a leprechaun in would be better?
And as usual awesome photos ESP the one of the train with I assume an effect to slightly darken the surrounding bits

Almost right. I photograph using the RAW format which allows greater flexibility in correcting exposure, contrast, sharpening, etc. I also try to remove some clutter (telephone lines, power cables, litter, etc.) where it's not too much hassle to do so. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for the tips Penfold, I'll definitely give aperture-priority mode a try. Leaving the histogram up while playing with settings hadn't occurred to me, that should help me get the exposure right. I agree ISO should be left as low as possible - unlike film, increasing it doesn't result in greater sensitivity, it just boosts the signal, effectively moving the histogram to the right.

No problem finding Neptune then. :) Here is a picture of him from last year, I wonder if he has weathered since then? He was only carved a couple years ago.
KnightOfFewWords

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum