Bomb in Boston

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Bomb in Boston

Postby Square12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

I've got a feeling that because of the patriot act if terrorism is possibly maybe suspected then homeland security don't need to worry about human rights let alone Miranda rights, although in this case I don't think they should be entitled to human rights. When you cease to accord others with basic human rights why should you be entitled to them?
In this case the Miranda rights seem to be irrelevant if he can't communicate, but who knows what will happen later?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

Square12 wrote:I don't think they should be entitled to human rights. When you cease to accord others with basic human rights why should you be entitled to them?

So, if you don't want to allow him human rights, this means that you don't deserve them either? An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jack Remillard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 am

Well, he has now been Mirandized, so any statements he makes from this point will now definitely be admissible in court (rather than relying on the 'public safety exception'). I still don't see the point in holding off for so long.
Jack Remillard

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 am

Dotsie I haven't killed anybody, let alone any innocent non-combatants, I think in doing that they gave up their humanity and therefore the associated rights, but I understand your point.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm not positive about this, but perhaps because of the injuries he wasn't lucid enough to be read his rights?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Jack Remillard wrote:Can anybody explain to me why not reading him the Miranda warning is a good idea? That seems like it could be counterproductive.

After 9/11, federal (not state) law enforcement agencies were given the ability to waive suspects' Miranda rights in situations of suspected terrorism or threats to national security. Doing so allows law enforcement officials to question suspects and use any information gathered during interrogations to build a case before the suspect "lawyers up" on invokes the right to remain silent. It doesn't allow the cops to sent a suspect to Guantanamo or indefinitely hold up their trial; even with this kid the FBI had 72 hours to charge him and they waited until almost the last minute.

It's a very controversial policy that has the potential for abuse and thus isn't used that often. You have to have a pretty good evidence that the suspect presented such danger, and in this situation the evidence is extremely solid so far.

Only the feds and cops know if the kid "wrote" a confession or provide any information during his pre-Miranda period.
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 am

Okay. Or that.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Breaking News on BBC:

"Three additional suspects taken into custody in marathon bombing case. Details to follow," the Boston Police Department said.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum