Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby Dotsie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 pm

The only thing that really annoys me about those calls is when I say "hello?" and they say "hello?" back at me. Learn how to make a damn phone call! :evil: Actually, if you then say nothing, they do keep on saying it. Then I hang up. But if they make the call properly I'm actually quite polite, they're just trying to make a living after all, and at least they're not chuggers ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Square12 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:34 pm

I fully understand that they are just trying to make a living, but it's the fact they have no idea what my lifestyle is, why should I have to go by their timetable, the amount of times I've had customer service texts, just as I've dozed off for a siesta for example. It's the same problem we get here in Madrid, the buildings tend not to have external mail boxes so the postman has to ring the buzzer, which I can accept, however the ones that really piss me off are the ones that buzz every single door and repeatedly just to hand out flyers!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Yes some of them are trying to make a living but . . .

I had a call the other day from someone from an accident claims firm who said that they had been given my number due to an accident I'd had. That is phishing pure and simple. They are making things up in the hope that they really will connect with someone who has had an accident.

Or the calls claiming to be from Microsoft and that they are aware that I have a virus on my computer. This is a scam pure and simple and dishonest. These are people trying to earn a living by dishonesty. :naughty:

My number is registered with the Telephone Preference Service.

As their website says:

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

Organisations with which you have an ongoing relationship, for example those who regard you as a customer, (or in the case of charities - a donor) may well gather your consent during the early stages of your relationship with them and will therefore be entitled to call you even if your number is registered on TPS, unless you have previously told them specifically that you object to them calling you for marketing purposes.

The TPS can accept the registration of mobile telephone numbers, however it is important to note that this will prevent the receipt of marketing voice calls but not SMS (text) messages. If you wish to stop receiving SMS marketing messages, please send an 'opt-out' request to the company involved.

As TPS registration only prevents marketing calls, organisations will still be able to call you for the purposes of genuine market research.

Yes people are entitled to make a living, but by the same token, I am entitled to privacy and freedom from unsolicited calls.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:29 pm

I reported the computer one to fraud protection, they were claiming to be something to do with server or something, and I ended up really pissing him off, by pointing out really basic problems with his attempts. Such as if you are from my ... Then you'd be able to access that remotely. It got to the stage that I would only accept that they were genuinely who they said they were if they contacted me by email on the account that they were trying to hack and the guy whined down the phone "But whyyyy?"
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby janet » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 am

I'm registered with the telephone preference service too but some of them sneak under the radar by witholding their number which is what consumer lifestyles did yesterday.
Beware of the ones that call your mobile. I had a persistent one which i didn't manage to answer in time on a couple of occasions. When I did, same number, this chap started about the 'car accident I had'......nope!.... and I told him he was mistaken. A short call.
Now then, I have a fixed contract with my mobile provider and NEVER manage to exceed the monthly charge. Surprised when I got their monthly text saying the charge would be more than usual. Checked the bill online. Well well well, the number of the 'claim company' is premium rate for which I have been charged (plus VAT) for answering once and NOT ANSWERING twice. Honest living? That one? Hmm?
There is a website, think it's whocallsme.com or something like that, which logs these nuisance numbers. The one i got seems to only ring people until they answer but then if they're not paying for the call they could clock up quite a few quid by just being a nuisance :x
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Dotsie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:21 am

There is a huge difference between cold callers and criminals though. If you're getting charged for people ringing you, you should get in touch with Ofcom.

Although, I did this once - I was getting charged for recieving texts (answer this and win a prize, etc) shortly after I changed providers, and after googling I found that this was linked with my new provider. Someone there was obviously passing numbers to this company, but the provider didn't give a toss when I told them about it, and Ofcom said that it appeared I had requested the service myself :roll: The provider refunded the money as a "good will gesture", but I left when my contract was up anyway. This wasn't niusance calls from someone trying to earn a living, this was a criminal offence, and I certainly would not have been polite to them.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Cheery » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Big hugs for everyone with troubles :( Those consumer people call us every two days, I know the problem. We don't even say much anything anymore, as soon as they get started I usually answer "I'm not interested" and hang up. I get those daft text messages aswell. And the spam mail... We're having huge troubles with that at work. We get like 30 a day from russia or wherever and nobody knows from where o_O

Meanwhile the jaw saga continues. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxl1qUoIsU) Thankfully nearing the end of the screwing stage, but I have to do it three times a day now with motion forward and upward. Four sets of screws. Also coming to the stage where it's getting harder and harder to turn the screws. I guess because it's started healing. And the pain is as bad as it's never been in the last few weeks. >_<

At least I'm functioning. But if it gets worse I will go to the doctor's and demand stronger pain killers. It feels like the ones I have now are hardly working... I'm supposed to learn for finals, but all I want to do now is to lie in bed and not move. -_-

At least the surgeons are happy with the progress I'm making so that's something.
Cheery

Postby Cheery » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 pm

By the way made the video a week ago, when I felt pretty good. Explains my good mood there. :)
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 pm

I posted this on YouTube, but I'll say it here as well. YOu needn't worry about being difficult to understand. I think you sound very clear. You even made me chuckle with your joke at the end. I think it's amazing what they can do these days and I'm just sorry you have to go through all this. *HUGS*
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Great video Cheery and you sound so cheery :D Just two more weeks of screwing :lol: and it's all over for a while then although I guess there is still a lot of pain to go even after you stop the actual extending of your jaw whilst it all knits together and then the joy of another operation in 6 months.

Big hugs and best wishes for the reduction in the pain soon and a fixed jaw in just a few months.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chillicamper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 am

Brilliant video Cheery. :D You are very brave! Hope the pain gets better soon or you can at least better some bigger pills :shock:

Have you thought what your first proper meal is going to be, once you can bite and chew properly again? I reckon you need to treat yourself to a special meal once all this is over!
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Catch-up » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 am

Ditto to all of the above Cheery! I really hope they can give you something better to manage the pain. :(
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Check out your mobile phone's instruction manual (or if you've not got one, there's usually something on the maker's website or on the interweb somewhere).

A lot of phones (mine included, I was delighted to discover, even though it's a really bog standard flip phone with no internet, etc) have the facility to block certain numbers.

If you keep getting pestered by cold calls, just find the option on your phone, and key in the offending number(s) and they should bounce back to the caller, without even ringing on your phone!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Image Hang in there Cheery :clap:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby wicked woman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Hugs cheery.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum