Ventrilosk.... etc!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Ventrilosk.... etc!

Postby Natalya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 am

Have a good day! :)
Now I've been reading "The Amazing Maurice...". I've decided to give my brain the small rest with child's book :) This was my mistake (this book is not so simple! :)) but I say not about this... :)
From time to time I meet complicated, difficult (for me!) words in TP's books and usually I find decision from internet. But from time to time this remedy dosen't work. And I've not got patience more... :)
AS in this case.
Please, help me. I don't understand what does 'ventriloskswist' mean? Please, don't laugh... :)

...Would you mind if I will ask about such words from time to time? I promise to do it not very often!
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Re: Ventrilosk.... etc!

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:55 am

Hi Natalya

Your problem here is that it's a deliberately misspelt word. It should be ventriloquist which is someone who speaks without moving his mouth usually operating a dummy. The spelling is supposed to indicate what the word would sound like if a bad ventriloquist was trying to say it.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions here. :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Natalya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:28 am

Thank you :)
Really, it turns out simple... It seems my problem is partly in transcription ... I tried to divide this word into parts and translate it (losk... swist... wist... oh!!! ) :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 am

We are always happy to help a fellow Pratchettite who doesn't have a clue what the Master is on about. :lol:

And Maurice is an excellent book.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 am

The dictionary I have for my iPad has a sounds like function wherein if you type in a word that doesn't exist it will give you a list of possible words. It's called wordbook XL may help in situations like this.
It's been a while since I read amazing Maurice but isn't it spelt that way because as is often the case in Pratchett books its being spelt / pronounced by someone who has never encountered the word before? Like somebody pronouncing the word Wednesday as wed-nes-day, or writing it as wensday or wennsday, or even whensday?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Natalya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 am

Tonyblack wrote:We are always happy to help a fellow Pratchettite who doesn't have a clue what the Master is on about. :lol:

And Maurice is an excellent book.

Very glad to heard ( or see)! :)
And I love my new book and its inhabitants, indeed! ;)
Last edited by Natalya on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Natalya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 am

Square12 wrote:...Like somebody pronouncing the word Wednesday as wed-nes-day, or writing it as wensday or wennsday, or even whensday?

Yes-yes-yes, I mean the same situation!
(But ' Wednesday ' is easier than 'ventriloquist', am I right? ;) )
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Definitely! :lol:

I'm always amused when my spellchecker (until I have trained it) doesn't recognise 'Pratchett' and suggests 'Pritchett'. What the hell is Pritchitt? :?

And (unless they've changed it) typing in 'Obama' it would suggest 'Osama'. Oh the irony - no wonder Barrack was determined to get him. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Natalya » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:38 am

Tonyblack wrote:Definitely! :lol:

I'm always amused when my spellchecker (until I have trained it) doesn't recognise 'Pratchett' and suggests 'Pritchett'. What the hell is Pritchitt? :?

And (unless they've changed it) typing in 'Obama' it would suggest 'Osama'. Oh the irony - no wonder Barrack was determined to get him. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Del » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Hello Natalya :D Haven't heard from you for ages and miss you.

We had a place SOMEWHERE (Tony!!!!!!) where even we "English" speaking people would ask each other what something meant as some things that are obvious to a person born in the UK are not so obvious to someone born in the USA or in Australia.

Or Terry would write something that referred to India or there was maybe a joke about something in Pyramids that was not clear to everyone. So don't feel silly about asking what something means. We all do it.

(Anyone want to explain to Natalya what "I could murder a curry!" means?) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Del wrote:Hello Natalya :D Haven't heard from you for ages and miss you.

We had a place SOMEWHERE (Tony!!!!!!) where even we "English" speaking people would ask each other what something meant as some things that are obvious to a person born in the UK are not so obvious to someone born in the USA or in Australia.

You mean the Any Questions Thread? :P

There's a link to it in the Useful Links Thread. :P :P :P
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 pm

:D :D My hero!

Thanks Tony.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Natalya » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 am

Hi, Del, glad to see you :)
I missed, too ;)
Thanks you&Tony for references, I'll read it, exactly.
Oh, Del!... So difficult (for me) to explain all feelings about English when I read TP books!!! :) From time to time I feel myself entirely silly woman!!! Sometimes I don't dare to ask about incomprehensible word because I think this word is not decent enough! :)
But sometimes... It's incredible feelings as joy, symphaty, grief,... everything that make my heart to shine! :) That's why I continue to clamber at this mountain as a posses... ahem! :) as a super-clever woman who know English excellent :) And seriously, I dare to hope that I get to know TP's English.... The more I read the more I became fall in love with TP's books... :)
As for "I could murder a curry!" ... I think that I could, too :) My stomach doesn't stand Indian spices, definitely :) Seriously, it depend on context, I think ...
Am I right? ;)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:15 am

In British English (BrE) and I think American and Australian etc if we say "I could murder a pint/curry/Chinese/coffee etc." it means that we would really like it. I suspect this is an ellipsed* variation of "I would be prepared to murder somebody for a pint etc." As far as I can think of it's only ever used for foods and drinks so in my examples "Chinese refers to a Chinese takeaway."

*ellipse
(third-person singular simple present ellipses, present participle ellipsing, simple past and past participle ellipsed)
(grammar) To remove from a phrase a word which is grammatically needed, but which is clearly understood without having to be stated.
In B's response to A's question:- (A: Would you like to go out?, B: I'd love to), the ellipsed words are go out.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Natalya » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:16 am

Ahem! :oops: ...
Incredible!
I never would have guessed it!
Thank you, Square12! Very interesting information, indeed!
Natalya
Natalya

Return to The Broken Drum