Bomb in Boston

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Bomb in Boston

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 am

God, this is just awful. Hideous. And three dead so far. Here's hoping that number doesn't rise. :?

I heard somewhere that the culprits may be homegrown terrorists like McVeigh. :think:
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am

Now the people organising the London Marathon are panicking about security, as that's being run this Sunday.

And with Maggie's funeral tomorrow, and the threat of disturbance then, I'm really not looking forward to coming to work tomorrow. St Paul's is not too far away from my office.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 am

I strongly suspect that there will be a mass of security for both events. This is what terrorists do - they cause terror and attempt to disrupt everyday life.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:52 am

Raisin, so glad your wife is safe. How frightening that she was that close. Tiffany, I hope your friend hears some good news soon.

I had a scary stretch yesterday because I thought a friend's husband was there. He's not!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:36 pm

This report is absolutely horrific. You have been warned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22163363
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Very bad this. I heard about it at the time but have been away all day so couldn't follow up on the story until now. Glad you and yours are OK Raisindot
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chris.ph » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm

dont know what to say, i am glad you and yours are fine rainsdot
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jack Remillard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Such a terrible crime. :( I will never understand how people can do things like this.

I'm really glad your wife is OK, raisindot.
Jack Remillard

Postby Cheery » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm

My god, this is shocking. All the luck to the injured and their loved ones and also all my condolences to them and the families of the three dead. I couldn't watch all of that video footage, it honestly makes me feel sick... actually seeing it after it's been all over the radio today is too much. I keep imagining if it were one of my family members. It's so terrible for the people who have to go throught all that now. I really hope they catch whoever did this. It's terrible. This was supposed to be a peaceful sporting event to celebrate something millions of people all over the world and from all kinds of different countries have in common. :( It's so sad.

Glad to hear your family's okay raisindot and Tiffany, I hope you'll hear good news from your friend.
Cheery

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 am

According to news reports, the bombs were in pressure cookers, which are a favourite of Al Quada <?sp>

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Bouncy, that's because of the strong sides of the pot when it blows it goes in just one direction maximising the injuries caused. :evil: bastards.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby TinatheConfused » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:52 am

Personally, I believe this was citizens of the US who did this, it was uncoordinated, not all the bombs went off, not timed for maximum damage. Plus, there have been Ricin powder envelopes in the Capitol building. White powder was found in a clinic not far from my house, in Beloit Wisconsin. It happened on Tax Day, it was Patriot day in Boston. too many coincidences. So many of these things were already in the works before yesterday's event. I smell Tea Party and I don't like it.

On the only plus side, it shows what Americans can do to minimize the death any way we can. Boston Hospitals have been practicing and reviewing their procedures for this type of situation and it seems to have come in to place beautifully. No hospital was overloaded terribly and there were stand-by hospitals waiting for the overflow.

My own mental state is of horror, shock, desolation, and fear. Exactly what the bastards want. I have seen pictures of this traumatic scene which make my pride soar and my heart bleed that people had to endure what happened. I wonder at the PTSD incidences which will surely be caused by this... 183 wounded, 3 deaths. So many people were there, so many saw what happened. I am thrilled to see our local comfort canines who just left Sandy Hook not so very long ago. Hearts and Love are abundant, but I fear for whomever did this. I fear for their very innermostness, the hatred, rage and impotent anger that drives people to do these things. I do not understand. I do NOT comprehend, I only experience the horror and the shock.

Our Media is nuts with speculation along with everyone in the world with an idea and an opinion. We have not seen pictures of the horror like we have seen on the internet. It happens somewhere else, like Saudi Arabia or in China... lacking good references, sorry am a bit knackered from the emotions of the day. I fear for our world, our society and our lives. There is too much evil in this world for it to go on much longer. I really don't see it getting better. I am simply going to keep trying to play my music, learn my new mandolin, and sing to distract others and myself from the crap going on.

It is storming badly here and I am running out of juice for the laptop. Thank goodness for wireless. Love and Good vibes to everyone, I am not around often, but am still on this side of the dirt. Goodnight.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby Quatermass » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:13 am

Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 am

TinatheConfused wrote:Our Media is nuts with speculation along with everyone in the world with an idea and an opinion. We have not seen pictures of the horror like we have seen on the internet. It happens somewhere else, like Saudi Arabia or in China... lacking good references, sorry am a bit knackered from the emotions of the day. I fear for our world, our society and our lives. There is too much evil in this world for it to go on much longer. I really don't see it getting better.

I really don't mean to try to minimise the tragedy and horror of these kind of events, but the human world is a lot less violent in general now than it has been for much of the past. It's hard to believe that, especially after this kind of thing, but it is true.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... n-violence

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_ ... lence.html

There has always been evil and cruelty, and there probably always will be. But that's not all we are. And things do seem to be getting better.
Jack Remillard

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 am

TinatheConfused wrote:Our Media is nuts with speculation along with everyone in the world with an idea and an opinion. We have not seen pictures of the horror like we have seen on the internet. It happens somewhere else, like Saudi Arabia or in China... lacking good references, sorry am a bit knackered from the emotions of the day. I fear for our world, our society and our lives. There is too much evil in this world for it to go on much longer. I really don't see it getting better. I am simply going to keep trying to play my music, learn my new mandolin, and sing to distract others and myself from the crap going on.

Pretty much this. So much crap in the world. I keep an eye what going on the world around me, take an interest, mainly out of curiosity and a desire to learn, but generally I'll still stick to pratchett, cat pictures, ponies, and vidja games if it's all the same to you.

Jack, that's true, we just see more of it now thanks to tv and the internet.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum