What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 pm

The turkeys!! Have you gotten to the turkeys?! :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:45 pm

They're jumbo quail! :lol: "The great turkey shit-off of 1983" :lol: :lol: :lol: That was one I read on the train!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 pm

I know! :lol: I tried to read parts of that to hubby, but I was laughing so hard he couldn't understand me. He finally just read over my shoulder.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 am

Welp, I've just read a book that surpasses Rivers of London. Yes, I know that statement will piss more than a few people off here (although to be fair, there are plenty of books that I have read recently that surpass it), but take some consolation in that it surpassed it by a moderate rather than large margin.

That book is London Falling by Paul Cornell. Ironic, how a novel with a not dissimilar premise written by another Doctor Who author manages to do something just that little bit better.

Of course, it's probably a case of Your Mileage May Vary. Rivers of London was a good book, anyway. I just felt London Falling to be just a tad more accessible and...'real'? I mean, as real as you can get for a horror fantasy work. But it felt a little realer, so to speak. Or maybe I just prefer Paul Cornell's writing style to Ben Aaronovitch's. :think:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:22 pm

I'll have to put that on my list.
Catch-up

Postby janet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 pm

So many ideas! Well I really did enjoy Tony Hawks and his fridge :lol:
Unless it's Discworld my approach to reading matter is completely random these days based on trawling along shelves in charity shops and picking up books i might have heard of or just like the look of. Hence my 'To Read' stack. However the next book down was the collected poetry of Seamus Heaney which is great for dipping into but not a solid read so I cheated and I'm now involved with The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. I'm liking this a lot especially as I've done research about my great-grandmother over the years and she just happened to be born at exactly the time (summer 1860) these (true) events took place. She was also born into a family of tenant farmers but in Worcestershire not Wiltshire. She was probably in service in a house much like Road Hill House once she reached her early teens.
Any road up....I'm into this book every spare minute..........
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:00 am

Just finished The Last Girlfriend on Earth and Other Love Stories by Simon Rich. A collection of short stories that were fabulous and funny! Didn't find out until I got to the back of the book that he also wrote for Saturday Night Live and currently writes for Pixar.

Almost finished with Let the Dead Sleep by Heather Graham. Horrible writing, but I'm so close to the end.
Catch-up

Postby =Tamar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:50 am

Slogging through Garth Nix's The Keys to the Kingdom. Not helped by having read Wednesday first, then lost it, then got almost all the others except Friday. At least each book is pretty much standalone as far as the action goes. I prefer Frances Hardinge's Fly By Night and there's a sequel to get; she has a few other books out too.
=Tamar

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 am

Tom Holt - The Flying Dutchman (Kindle).
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 am

One of my favorite Holt's books Bouncy, about the Marie Celeste type tale. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Yeah, and a lot of it set in a fantasy Bridport, near where mum lives.

I had such a LOL when I first started to read it.

I love Tom Holt. He has a wicked humour about him.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I have all of his humorous ones but I'm well behind on the J.W. Wells series and he is no longer published in hardback edition just trade paperback size.

New one coming out in December 17th.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

ooo that sounds good
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:48 pm

I got sidetracked and meant to post before I seen Bouncy's post. :mrgreen:

Raw Sprit: In search of the perfect dram by Iain Banks.
Informative and a good fun read a travelogue around Scotland sampling a few wee haufs.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby hnorwood » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm

After a gap of a few years, I'm re-reading Ray Bradbury's "The Golden Apples of the Sun"
Story No 8 "The Murderer" has weird parallels with today's iPod/iPhone culture - and this a story written 60 years or more ago...
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books