Science of Discworld IV: a look inside

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Science of Discworld IV: a look inside

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:18 pm

=Tamar wrote:
Margi wrote:I just had a look at it and the Amazon sample has a few pages from each of about 4 sections in the book. (You can tell I didn't bother counting.) So there's quite a bit but not consecutive. Probably about 16 to 20 pages in total, but like I said, I didn't count.

What version of Amazon are you using? The ones I can find give the front cover, the copyright stuff in front, the prologue bits explaining the previous three TSoD books, the Index at the back, and the back cover.

That's all there is on show now. :o
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Margi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 am

I walked past it on a shelf in a shop yesterday. No limit to how much you can see inside then. It went in the basket. And now has a bookmark a good way into it. :D
Margi

Postby Margi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:56 am

I told a lie! I didn't walk past it... I stopped. :lol:
Margi

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 am

I've still only read the first of these books. :oops:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:13 pm

after trying really really hard to read the science books as a whole I gave up and just read the discworld bits
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

I've started the book but have now abandoned it as I have a lot of audio discs to listen to as I had a big delivery from Isis the other day. I like the 'science books' but as Isis have a poor quality history I want to make sure all the discs actually play all the way through. :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

I buy the Isis ones as downloads from Audible, as soon as I'm finished the one I'm listening to SODW IV is next, I prefer to listen to the science parts it's easier to digest them. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby AgProv » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

first impressions.

Trying to get into the new book. Really trying. The scientific bits are, as usual, challenging going, but once you grasp what they're getting at, it actually gets quite interesting. But the Discworld story, so far, is... well, lacklustre. It doesn't even feel as if he wrote it, if you see what I mean. It reads like second-division fan fic. The sort that isn't bad, tells a decent story, the characters are in context... but the author only gets the classic Terry Pratchett voice here and there in little flashes of brilliance. If anything, the Margery Dawes bits (and why does that make me think of Matt Lucas dragged up) read as if they're in the Felicity Beedle voice TP devised for The World of Poo.. I really, really, hope it improves.

Another little problem as I get further into the book: the balance is wrong. The science chapters are too long and the Discworld chapters are too short. Not. Enough. Discworld.

And it used to be said about Terry that he avoided the "plots-r-us" school of dialogue. His dialogue between characters here not only appears to take the place of plot, the speeches are far too long. Dialogue sequences used to be short, pithy and bang-bang. Now there are whole paragraphs of character-led exposition. Rincewind does not sound like Rincewind; the Dean is not the Dean. What's gone wrong? Was Terry just content to write an outline script and then let others - Rob Williams or Rhianna Pratchett or both - fill in the details? There are moments of the old Pratchett genius - his description of how Vetinari can force a crowded room into silence just by sitting there is excellent - but there are just too few of them. So far.
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby simmonds91 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 pm

People sometimes say in films and the like, that the world will not "end with a bang but a whimper". Im sure you've heard that before somewhere, I reckon its the same with TPratchett, his skill is diying with each book it seems to me. This is the first book (SoD4) that I have decided not to buy (Though I may buy it later on just to say I have a copy) though and personally he isn't too bad an author YET, he's just above the water for me.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Apart from what I've read online and had a look inside my copy I will wait until I have the unabridged version downloaded to listen to as previous stated having the science bits read to you makes it a bit easier for me to get a grasp of it. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to Latest books