Science of Discworld IV: a look inside

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Science of Discworld IV: a look inside

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 pm

If you want to read the 1st 148 pages of Science of Discworld IV, click on the book on the Amazon site.:mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Science of Discworld IV: a look inside

Postby =Tamar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:19 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:If you want to read the 1st 148 pages of Science of Discworld IV, click on the book on the Amazon site.:mrgreen:
It's April 10th, not April 1st.
=Tamar

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:59 am

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:43 pm

=Tamar wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:If you want to read the 1st 148 pages of Science of Discworld IV, click on the book on the Amazon site.:mrgreen:
It's April 10th, not April 1st.

Oh! ye of little faith. :roll:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm

won't let me do it on my phone :cry:
spideyGirl

Postby =Tamar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:46 am

I tried it, on both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk but I only got 4 pages of text, not the rather larger number originally mentioned. Even including the pages of not-text (cover, title page, table of contents, back cover blurb, etc.) it didn't come to that many pages.
=Tamar

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am

I got loads so when the book actually turned up yesterday I was about a quarter into it already :D
Last edited by The Mad Collector on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Mad Collector

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am

I got loads so when the book actually turned up yesterday I was about a quarter into it alread :D y

The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm

It looks like they have changed it now, they must have realised they had too many pages on view, I just went into check and this was highlighted. Pages 7-325 are not included in this book preview.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:It looks like they have changed it now, they must have realised they had too many pages on view, I just went into check and this was highlighted. Pages 7-325 are not included in this book preview.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ghost

Postby Ogg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 pm

I've been reading TP for twenty years, I own and have read everything and I've always enjoyed the 'The Science Of' books, including the science bits I hasten to add. Without providing spoilers I will say the story arc fills roughly a third of the book which is disappointing. If like me you are an admirer of the works of Spinoza, Dawkins, Hitchens etc then you know how this plays out, contentious to some but for the likes of me, preaching to the converted if you'll excuse the awful pun.
I have to add that the Discworld story feels different in places, barely enough substance before the next chapter takes us further away (possibly written in part by a certain daughter perchance?)...I guess I wanted more which is probably a selfish thought I am sharing.
Still, any TP is appreciated these days.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" Nietzsche
Ogg

Postby Margi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:43 pm

I just had a look at it and the Amazon sample has a few pages from each of about 4 sections in the book. (You can tell I didn't bother counting.) So there's quite a bit but not consecutive. Probably about 16 to 20 pages in total, but like I said, I didn't count.
Margi

Postby =Tamar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 am

Margi wrote:I just had a look at it and the Amazon sample has a few pages from each of about 4 sections in the book. (You can tell I didn't bother counting.) So there's quite a bit but not consecutive. Probably about 16 to 20 pages in total, but like I said, I didn't count.

What version of Amazon are you using? The ones I can find give the front cover, the copyright stuff in front, the prologue bits explaining the previous three TSoD books, the Index at the back, and the back cover.
=Tamar

Postby Margi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am

I didn't know there were different versions of Amazon. Mine is .co.uk and is also Amazon Prime. I hadn't realised that the 'prime' part was in the heading until I looked just now.

If you don't know about Amazon Prime, it is a system where you pay a small annual fee and all (most, as there are some companies who sell through Amazon but are not on the Prime scheme) your delivery charges are waived. So if you use Amazon a lot, Prime saves you a lot of delivery money. Maybe it changes what the 'look inside' books show? I can't see why it would but you never know.
Margi

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 pm

I was tempted to have a quick look but theres no point now that its come out. Then again i'm not too sure I want it now, I wasn't interested in the sciency parts and its 2/3rds that? no thank you.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Next

Return to Latest books