How do you feel today? 5

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: How do you feel today? 5

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 pm

it looks a bit like that Duck that you get in wraps in the all you can eat Chineese restaraunt :D
Alanz

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Toothy wrote:

Well, you learn something new every day! It does look good.... Nomnomnom. :D

Well there you go! Never knew that either! Though I do have to admit I only eat pork once in a decade. Dont get me wrong I like pork. It just doesnt like me. Though I do admit... its a "social" meat for me. I swear; if I want to meet THE most gorgeous, THE most perfect, THE most make your socks melt man in years... all I have to do is eat pork. You can gaurantee I will be standing in front of him or shall we say within .... a distance of him within the next 24 hours. If its not a man it will be THE dream job interview at short notice, or for some inexplicable reason I will need to be present in a church or highly important social occasion.

I dont eat pork anymore and cant remember the last time I have eaten pork. Its been SO long most of my friends think I am allergic to it and I am not going to dispel the rumour.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 pm

I feel very apprehesive... kind of ... alot... kind of.

About two weeks ago I had a gig way over on the northside of the city. A megamall that BLAH charges for your parking if you are there for more than 3 hours. Its so big it takes half an hour to park after you get your ticket and the same to get back to your car; and my jobs are never less than three hours anyway. You have to drive down the Gateway Express; a horrible toll freeway that comes to a grinding gridlock halt if someone so much as spits out their window, and I rarely do it. Two of my clients are there and they will use only me... but I try to beg off the jobs if I can and end up doing them out of loyalty. Both managers are brilliant anyway and give me amazing sales when I do their stores.

So I did the job. Amazing sale. The manager is a lady I have known over the years at other stores and she is just wonderful. I like her professionalism (and shes lovely to boot). She has approached me before about working for her but I sort of fobbed it off as just - toooooo - far. She asked me again after the job; though really seriously this time.

Its been really tough financially for me since January as the government has changed the sole parents rules and payments. Sheesh, even the UN has written to the Australian government telling them its not good enough. Its not just the cut payments; I DO work... but for every dollar you earn "gross" they take Y... NOW they take ALOT more...and you can actually get LESS to live on if you work after you have paid taxes and expenses. The only way around it is to work full time and its not possible with Hayden. Thats what changed for me too. She turned 13 and under gov rules she is not eligible for child care nor do centers take that age after school. Luckily I have found a teen child care for her holidays on the days I work. We have one of the worst care records for anyone with disabilites in the western world. :roll:

ANYWAY.... I took a few days to consider it. The job. Its four hours a day, five days a week. Perfect. EXACTLY what I have been searching for. And totally within the minimum hours required by the government for a sole parents. I have looking everywhere for a permanent part time job to meet the regs but everyone wants you to work every Saturday and every Thursday late night trading hours (impossible for me with Hayden).......... But to DO that four hours a day I have to travel 2 hours there and 2 hours back!!!!! Ridiculous.

So I went out today to tell her it wasnt possible.... but yanno.... shes a brilliant manager, she knows I can sell, I know the product, I am 90% trained up on the systems..... I was VERY upfront with her. I have never in my life gone into a job without full commitment and certainly never gone in with a "I dont know if this is going to suit me" attitude. I am usually a problem solver and dont often see problems in a business environment that cant be solved. But she is excited about me working with her team and says I can try it... if it is impossible then okay.

Sooooo.. I have this new job. Start on Monday.

Ridiculous. Spending as much time as in a full time job with travel to get paid for four hours! Travelling the Gateway! AND I need to see all the sums.... but I DO believe I will be PAYING to go to work when money is SO short already! I am going to be exhausted not just from work but from travel.

And yet on another level I am excited about working with her, the job requires all the skill sets I have with security, stock control and professionalism, (its a flagship store) I can do it well and its not rocket science. Just the ability to read people and deliver.

She is interested in advancing me.... but I cant see that happening as that requires endless hours and availability to the job and I just wont have that with Haydens needs. Unlike other kids, as she grows older, in some ways I teach her independance (its actually my biggest push for her) but in so many other ways she becomes more dependant than a regular kid for safety reasons)

ARGH!
Del

Postby Batty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

All you can do, Del, is give it a go!

If the woman in charge is as nice as you think, then maybe she'll let you leave early if you make your targets, or take half an hour lunch break, instead of an hour.

Good luck!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Four hours Batty. No lunch break just a toilet break. Individual targets go to the stores daily budget. There is no way around the hours. I will work every second weekend when H is at her Dads. I get every Tuesday off so that solves the problem of being home in time to take Hayden to speech therapy at least.
Del

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Good luck Del, I hope it works out for you.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Or give you a wage that makes it worth while to do it Del.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

:lol: Its HALF the wage I earn per hour as a promoter Dug.

And they are set award wages. Thing is.... the government regulations dont talk about wages or money earned.... their parameters are set out in "required hours to be worked in employment"..... they feel that we sole parents need a "proper job" though not taking away from the family! They say that there are millions of jobs on offer "during school hours" (Ha!) and that the regs are just an incentive to get us off our asses and off the sofa into "real" work. So they determined that its the TIME spent at an occupation that will be the measuring stick. I can earn this wage doing what I am doing right now, but every two weeks I report in, and alternate weeks I report to a job agency (who also see the ridiculousness of the regs!) to find a position that takes up twice the hours for half the wages.

"You arent working long enough!"
"But I'm earning double!"
"But you arent working long enough!"
Del

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Bizarre :roll: Hope it works out Del, but don't feel bad if it's not for you. Fingers crossed you get the perfect job soon.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 pm

That does not sound fair or make any bloody sense Del, in taking this job will you be entitled to more help.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Oh man. That's a HUGE commute. Since your house is being sold, any chance you could move closer? Or, would that be too disruptive for H, since I'm assuming she'd have to change schools?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Batty » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:42 pm

What would happen if you just refuse to comply with the stupid regs?
Earning money is what should take priority, and if the job agency agree that the new rules are daft, they are less likely to sanction or report you.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:11 am

I am tired. It was so cold out today, rainy and miserable. Stood out in it for hours (ok, sort of, I was in a barn, but still..) while Thing 1 had her riding lesson. Then when I was helping her swap out the bridle and halter I got head-butted and slimed! Just when I thought I'd experienced it all. :roll: This guy's a runner and I'm sure he whipped his head around to take off, but didn't expect to collide with me. It stunned him long enough for me to grab him and get him hooked up the the cross-ties. I wasn't hurt but I did end up with half my face slimed with horse spit. Ugh.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 am

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:59 am

:lol: "I feel so funky." And I did!
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum