Summer Time

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Summer Time

Postby =Tamar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:36 am

Jo of the Gates wrote:My town of fewer than 10,000 people has TWO 24-hour supermarkets!
This is not said with pride, but rather with a sad, bemused shake of the head. Do we really need 2 huge stores open 'round the clock, burning lights, heating or cooling how many thousands of square feet of space, for the handful of folks who need, for whatever reason, to shop at 3 in the morning?

They have to heat or cool the store regardless of whether it's open. The employee-owned store has to stay open if only to compete with the W. Since I refuse to shop at W, I really miss my formerly-24-hour store. I always used to time my shopping so as to avoid the crowds. I can, with some effort, avoid most of the crowding, but some people work second and third shift and really need those "odd" open hours.
=Tamar

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:28 am

As someone that has worked overnight most of my professional life, trust me, we would be perfectly happy if no other businesses were open 24-hours if it meant we didn't have to be either. It's more an annoyance then a convenience.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ghost » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 am

there was talks of the place I work at opening for 24 hrs over the Christmas period thankfully that idea got shot down in flames
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Jo of the Gates » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I do feel compelled to point out that there are many folks who work odd shifts - cops, emergency responders and hospital workers to name a few obvious ones - who do shop at night these days. But night workers have always been among us, and there have been 24-hour stores for only a couple of decades. They have always managed in the past. I think 24-hour shopping is a high-energy-consumerist luxury that we can and should curb considering the environment and current economy. But realistically, I don't believe they are going away anytime soon.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I can see the logic - the store is being restocked during the night - so why not open it to customers? You may not get very many, but you are making some money and the 24 hour thing is a good selling point.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:56 pm

You can't take pallets onto the shop floor to restock shelves, with customers milling around. There's an accident (and a law suit) waiting to happen.
It will also be difficult to do a stock take if the shop is still open. Can you imagine an employee counting tins on a shelf, only to have a customer take one before the count has finished?
I suppose the employee could chase the customer around the shop, telling them to 'put it back', but by abandoning her post, who knows how many other customers have helped themselves to the merchandise??
:lol:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby wicked woman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Don't think I've ever seen a stock take at a supermarket.

However back in my pre marriage days I worked in a department store and we did a stock take of tights and stockings every week, while stopping when ever a customer needed serving. We were women, we could multi-task. ;)
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Jo of the Gates » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:06 pm

That makes sense, but whenever I shop - never in the middle of the night! - there is restocking going on all around me, whatever the time. I think the stockers are unwilling to work at night so management lets them restock during the day. This is another trend I see (in the US - is it the same elsewhere?) that is troubling. Workers demand more than they ought to be entitled to, such as naming the hours they are willing to work. As a result, the hours most people shop - weekends, for example - are the hours the store seems most poorly staffed. At a time when so many are unemployed, I would think management could say "These are the hours to be worked by the person we hire." And the job seeker ought to be happy to find a job, not resent the hours they are expected to work. The economy seems to be suffering everywhere. At some point the general populace must renounce their sense of entitlement. I get the impression many Americans are spoiled!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:10 pm

We have 24 hour grocery stores here.... and suprisingly to my American friends, they are usually in the more affluent suburbs. Why? Because its there that both members of a couple are likely to be operating their own business, and people who operate their own business' tend to work longer hours than employees. Some of them are very tre swish.

We have 7 day operating for retailers here too. Most if not all malls are open right through and there is always the 48 straight hours in the lead up to Christmas (UGH!)... but honestly... I went one year (remember I hate malls and I hate shopping) and at 3 am it was nearly dead, but they continue to do it.

My oldest daughter lives just across the road from one of the biggest in Brisbane and it was closed (as is everything) for Easter Friday. She rang me to say it was freaky quiet at her place. Apart from when the city flooded she had never heard quiet like it. I told her how quiet it was at my place too (the freeway isnt too far from me and all the roads that lead to it). I also told her how years ago there was NO Sunday trade and a wonderful hush would come over the city and the suburbs. You KNEW it was a day of rest and people actually spent that day visiting each other (lawn mowers would buzz all day Saturday to get the work out of the way for a restful Sunday and in preparation for the BBQ). I used to like that. AND we survived without shops for ONE day.

Our shops restock in the day too not at night.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:22 pm

The one time I needed a 24 hour supermarket, I got there at five past ten to discover they had just changed back to shutting at ten :roll:

And I really did need it, but since I managed till morning, can't have been that bad I suppose.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 pm

But the thing is.... if you are THAT desperate, every petrol station stays open 24 hours here and has a minimarket in it anyway. IF you are willing to pay double the price for anything that is.
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Those all night petrol stations sell an awful lot of Rizlas and chocolate bars . . . ;)

"I wonder why they call them Munchies" :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm

:lol: Ours sell "real" food too Tony.

And "necessities".... girl stuff... and stuff... that you might need.

We have a few around me that even have fresh vegetable sections, and flour and oil and cake glitter if thats what you need!

Many years ago I was heading home from work at some ungodly hour, exhausted and realised the girls were due back in the morning and there was little food in the house, so I was grabbing a HEAP of groceries at a petrol station/minimarket place at silly prices but it was a Public Holiday the next day and I had to feed the kids somehow.

The guy behind the counter made small chat with me and said "Good evening! :D Hows life going for you?" expecting a "Good thank you". I looked at him, at the groceries piled high and said, "Hows my life going? Its midnight, I just got off work and I am doing a full grocery shop in a SERVICE STATION! Yep! I've got everything totally under control dont you think?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Del

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Del wrote:And "necessities".... girl stuff... and stuff... that you might need.

:lol: I needed cat food!

I found a kitten in a box in the alleyway behind my house, the lid was on and it was weighted down with a brick. It was fine though. It was night, I rang the RSPCA and they said to take it in the next morning, till then I could give it kitten food but milk and water were most important. Milk and water were fine, as it happened, and Winnie no doubt has a loving home :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Del does the supermarkets close on public holidays for you over there. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum