Breaking News

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Breaking News

Postby Square12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree that she did mess up a lot of people's lives, fortunately coming from SE England, my family ,which probably falls into the middle class bracket, we were not amongst those who got messed up. I also agree that she could probably have handled things better, BUT whatever decision a politician makes will be unpopular with lots of people and to be honest I wish some of today's politicians had the courage to make unpopular decisions that are needed to help rescue our economy. I think she also did wonders for women's equality, and also you've got to remember she did come from a relatively working class background herself.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Batty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Maggie totally lost the plot towards the end, and 'Yes', she didn't get everything right.

But Arthur Scargill caused the miners much of their hardship when he refused to give them a vote as to whether they should strike, and they therefore lost income - and their homes - when they couldn't pay off their mortgages - and all the while Scargill was having his mortgage paid for by the Union.

I accept that not everyone will care that she is dead - but to dance, sing and celebrate in the streets is NOT acceptable.
Maggie refused to cut our army to next-to-nothing, and she defended the Falklands - when other politicians were suggesting not to bother.
She also refused to allow the Americans to go after Saddam until all the weapons and military equipment was delivered to our troops, so they could defend themselves properly - unlike Blair did.

I don't think a big funeral is justified, but she should still be allowed to be buried in peace.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

did it show Tony? ;)

I was fortunate to study politics and social theory as part of my sociology course at gcse during the 80's so I understood where her policies were coming from so my opinion is founded on more than just experience.

again, saying she did some things better than some other PMs doesnt change what she did. they too should be judged for what they did.

this is quite a good article surprisingly by Russel Brand of all people! http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/a ... t-thatcher
spideyGirl

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Batty wrote:I accept that not everyone will care that she is dead - but to dance, sing and celebrate in the streets is NOT acceptable.

I don't like it either, but it is understandable. After all, she never appeared to show any remorse towards the people who bore the brunt of her policies. Some of the more glowing eulogies are distasteful in another way, glossing over some uncomfortable truths.

Batty wrote:I don't think a big funeral is justified, but she should still be allowed to be buried in peace.

Ideally, yes. Unfortunately, she is proving to be just as divisive in death. In one sense, I find the 'ding-dong!' campaign amusing, but it achieves nothing except to stir up hostility between left and right.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

it could have a positive effect if it makes Cameron think twice about his own legacy and he stops selling the nhs off to his chums bit by bit... :roll:
spideyGirl

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 am

spideyGirl wrote:this is quite a good article surprisingly by Russel Brand of all people! http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/a ... t-thatcher

Thanks for posting this, it was a surprisingly interesting take on how many people experienced growing up under Thatcher. (I don't necessarily agree with it completely, but there is plenty there I can recognise and relate to.) I've passed it on to a friend who is too young to remember Thatcher very well.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby wicked woman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:02 am

Agree with everything you said spidey. She was not in any way interested in women's equality or the advancememnt of anyone but herself, and the glowing eulogies are a bit sick making.

Has anyone heard what Glenda Jackson said about herself. I thought it was spot on.

And why the hell have we got to pay for her funeral?

That's my rant over.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Watchman44 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Reference her funural, suprise suprise, "Downing Street has confirmed that Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner will not be invited."
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby raisindot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:11 pm

As an American, I'm very heartened to be reading about the very vocal and public divisiveness among Brits over Maggie's legacy. This is a very good thing, an affirmation death alone doesn't warrant atonement for past sins.

What you do over there is in complete contrast to what we do here. Whenever an eminent politician dies, the body isn't even cold before the whitewash gets applied. When Ronald Reagan died, you barely hears one peep in the mainstream press about his out of date Cold War mentality, his flagrant flouting of the Constitution during the Iran Contra scandal, or the fact that his adminstration was the most politically corrupt in history, or that he was responsible for the biggest rise in the U.S. deficit since World War II. It was all about how he "won" the Cold War and magnetic personality.

Likewise, when Tricky Dick Nixon died, all the press was sooo respectable about his "statesmanlike" qualities for opening doors with China and Russia, while totally downplaying his embracing of McCarthyisim in the 1950s, his trampling of the Constitution during Watergate, his virulent anti-semitism and bigotry, his 'secret' bombing of Cambodia, and all of the other evil things he did.

It's as if when these b**tards kick off you're not allowed to say one bad thing about them for fear of sounding disrespectful. Hell with that. If a person was a b**tard it's thoroughly appropriate to call them that. Not all the dead deserve to be respected. Of course, don't you even THINK about dissing a dead person I like! :D
raisindot

Postby spideyGirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 pm

can't wait to hear what they say when Bush kicks the bucket (either of em) :shock:
spideyGirl

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum