Did you know.....

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Did you know.....

Postby =Tamar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 am

Tonyblack wrote:Ooh yes, I used to tune into the police radios as well. :) You often only got one side of the conversation though.
I _think_ that was because the dispatcher's sysem used one frequency to call and the police cars used a different one to respond to the dispatcher, so calls didn't interfere with each other. Or some such system.
=Tamar

Postby janet » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:22 pm

It became uninteresting quite soon after tuning in! On one memorable Saturday night, I'd guess it was 1961 or 62, the police decided to stake out our shop since we sold top range electrical goods and a number of robberies of similar premises had been targeted and we lived over the shop. We were supposed to behave as normal.....well ....as if! :lol:
The shop downstairs was full of police......how could we ever behave as normal? We did our best. My efforts to find out what was happening via my trusty radio were of bugger all use and I was forced into an early night.
That same Bush radio was the one that helped me witness the first moon landing :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Del » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:34 pm

When I was about 12 we had a TV that had one "station" that had the picture of one channel and the sound of another. But our channels were all mixed up with the numbers so this station was the number on our TV of a real TV channel. Well we only HAD three channels then so sometimes if we got bored we would put it on this "station" and laugh ourselves silly at the combinations.

I remember one time watching some hot political debate going on where on pollie turned to the other and said "Betty! Your laundry's full of lemons!....etc" We laughed til the tears flowed down our legs.

BUT then we discovered that the taxi calls would come over it as well.

We didnt have a phone so Mum used to go next door to Mrs A's house and call a taxi from there and run back home where Dad would have the TV on the station and hear the call, then they would wait in the drive for the taxi. It was a bit of a novelty.

This one time Mum got home and Dad was there "They've called the taxi to the wrong address. I just heard it." so Mum ran back to Mrs A's place and made the call back to the taxi booking number.

Mum: "You've sent that taxi to the wrong address. You need to send it to xxxxxxxx!"
Taxi: "I beg your pardon madam? What seems to be the problem?"
Mum" "I just booked a taxi and you've sent it to xxxxxxx and you need to change it to xxxxxx"
Taxi: "Madam I am quite sure we know what we are doing here. Why do you think we have sent a taxi to the wrong address?"
Mum: "It came over the TV. It was on Channel 7. I just heard it"
Taxi: "We were on Channel 7? They reported we had the wrong address???!!!"
Mum: "Yes! You are on the TV. Now will you please send the taxi to xxxxxxxxx"

He didnt. He sent it to the first address... and when they finally sent it to our house Dad explained to the taxi driver just HOW we managed to hear the taxi calls. When the taxi's used to pick up Dad they would always laugh and joke "Did you hear the call Mr. R?"

One day we had the taxi ordered and the TV on and the call came over.... then "And you had better get straight out to the driveway Mr. R. The taxi is just around the corner from you." :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:46 pm

:lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm

:lol: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Sharlene found herself saying (on Skype) "ring me later" and then commented that I was turning her into a Brit. :lol:

Quite right to, I even got my ex-wife (who was American) spelling things properly after a while. Colour, theatre etc. :D

well, fine, we'll start spelling them that way when you start saying erbs

theatre always puts me in mind of a child with a lisp saying he saw a tree.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 am

Erbs as in herbs, you mean?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Yes bouncy, Americans can only say H when that aren't supposed to and leave it out when they should pronounce it :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Kind of like cockneys Image
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Square12 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah but with cockneys and mockneys it's even worse cos they might "Go up the apples to use the dog so the trouble wouldn't 'ear they'd won 'alf a pony on the ggs!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Then dan the Nags Ead soon as mush. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Sharlene found herself saying (on Skype) "ring me later" and then commented that I was turning her into a Brit. :lol:

Quite right to, I even got my ex-wife (who was American) spelling things properly after a while. Colour, theatre etc. :D

well, fine, we'll start spelling them that way when you start saying erbs

theatre always puts me in mind of a child with a lisp saying he saw a tree.

erbs huh? soooooooooooo......

What do you call this bloke then?

Erbert Oover?

Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum