Breaking News

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Breaking News

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm

News just in, former Prime minister Magret Thatcher has died of a stroke 8-)
Alanz

Re: Breaking News

Postby Dotsie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 pm

I wouldn't say that was cool :? Not everyone was a fan, but she was still human.

RIP Margaret.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Me and my Smiley mix up,( i'm going to stop using them).It wasn't meant to be cool, No berevement whoever it is is cool, I just picked the wrong Smiley that's all, i'm not that cold hearted.
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Like her or not, she has been very much a strong influence on this country's history. After all the wishy-washy PMs we'd had for years, you couldn't accuse Maggie of being boring. For good or bad she will be remembered as one of the most influential politicians this country has known in a long time.

RIP.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Very good summary Tony

RIP
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:36 pm

She had more balls than the rest of the Cabinet put together.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Awww. Thats really sad. I must say she was more admired here than there... but then at the time I was working in a mine full of ex-pat Welsh miners and got an earful. Mind you... we had the male equivalent of Maggie in power in our state at the time. Hell of a man. Ran the place like a dictatorship. They could have been twins... but boy... we had ONLY or state in the red... ONLY our state had free medical for ANYONE AND EVERYTHING... trains ran on time... good roads... but universally hated.

RIP Maggie. Personally I admired your tenacity and the ability to make bully men who were used to the status quo shake in their boots. Alas I never got to see you swipe one of them around the head with your handbag and walk off muttering "Your stupid man!" as I had always hoped.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Some people seem really happy.

http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:16 pm

She was good to us when i was on HMS Antrim at Grenada with the Americans, We were in direct contact with her although the American Admiral would not speak to her which i thought was very ignorant
Alanz

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:27 pm

It's a sad day for her family and friends, and they have my sympathy.

Certainly, she was a divisive figure. Over the next few days, she'll be both over-eulogized and demonized, neither of which I really approve of. A good example of the latter is the 'Milk Snatcher' episode: a policy she argued against in cabinet, it's not like she was drinking it all up herself instead of the kids. Probably the only way she could unite her supporters and detractors is by having 'Ding-Dong, the Witch is Dead' played at her funeral - that would be a joke that everyone could appreciate as well as a characteristically defiant final gesture.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Batty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:49 pm

I met her when she was Secretary of State for Education, in 1974.
Out of the 3 different party representatives who attended the school, she was the only one who answered honestly.

The school asked each representative, (on 3 different days), why can't sixth formers be paid to stay on at school? While tha Labour and Liberal people both agreed that school kids should receive a pay inducement, Maggie told us not to be so silly!
After all, she said. You may get money while you're in education, but once you leave, you'll be paying tax for the rest of your life, for every other school pupil!

... And she was the only politician who received an ovation.

R.I.P Maggie. No doubt Dennis has a G&T at the ready!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:59 pm

It was well known she did not like the Scots, and that was the reason she put the poll tax here for a year before anywhere else, caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people, I'm sure auld nick will welcome her warmly. Image

Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Bet that's a Match definately made in Heaven
Alanz

Postby Dotsie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Alanz wrote:Me and my Smiley mix up,( i'm going to stop using them).It wasn't meant to be cool, No berevement whoever it is is cool, I just picked the wrong Smiley that's all, i'm not that cold hearted.

Are your fingers bigger than the smilies? ;)

She was both magnificent and terrifying. She might not have been my cup of tea, but she was definitely a positive role model for young women.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Must be my Eyesight, i'm getting on a bit you know.
Alanz

Next

Return to The Broken Drum