The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Postby michelanCello » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:28 pm

TP facebook page wrote:Congratulations to the six short-listed entrants in the Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Award. In surname order the lucky six are:

The Unspoken Death of the Amazing Flying Boy by Jean Burdett
Bloodline by Sophie Constable
The Hive by Alexander Maskill
The Way Through the Woods by Robin Pearson
A Kill in the Morning by Graeme Shimmin
The Shadows of Annwn by Catherine Whittle

These six books will be discussed by the judging panel which includes Sir Terry and a winner will be announced on the 31st May. Thank you to everyone who took part and sent in your novels, the standard was remarkably high and we had over 500 entries.

Lynsey

I'm sorry Jan... :( But that doesn't matter it still is a very good novel and as you said yourself, it's going to be published either way, so, I'm looking forward to that! :D
Q, I don't know your real name, so I don't know if you're in there or not, so... :?:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:43 pm

What Mici said. If you haven't gotten through, I hope it won't put you off trying to get published anyway.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Just got in - what a relief to know one way or another! :lol:

Mine was always borderline on meeting the criteria as there's little fantasy or parallel universe elements to the core storyline so I'm not too demoralised about not making the shortlist. At least now I can go about more mainstream routes and if that doesn't pan out (there's only so far I'm prepared to go down the rejection trail) then I'll self publish on somewhere that offers an ISBN package so it can go on Amazon. I've already started to typeset (as a kind of failsafe so I'd be able to ditch it if I had made the shortlist :P ) so going to a proofing stage is next and I can do that while I'm dragging it round the agencies so I hope to be on Amazon by the year end whatever happens now ;)

Thanks for all the support everyone - will let you know what happens next as it happens :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm

This sounds a bit silly now, but I'm proud of you either way, Jan! Image
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Quatermass » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm

I didn't make it either. :(

Still, the titles on the shortlist certainly look interesting.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:55 pm

They certainly do. Sorry neither of you didn't progress in this competition but as Jan says there are other ways to move on with what you have done and I hope you do as I would love to read your books
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Jan it was an achievement just to get on the list in the first place. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Yeah Dug - they're saying it was really tough to decide which 6 to choose and so I'm content that mine wasn't chosen since there must have been many others who did match the criteria/genre specs better than mine would have ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote: then I'll self publish on somewhere that offers an ISBN package so it can go on Amazon.

You don't need an ISBN package to self-publish on Amazon. Trust me, I've scoped this out thoroughly.
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 am

Good luck with next step guys :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 am

I dunno whether I can make that next step. I've been trying to get back to writing, but while I had a good idea, it didn't pan out. And I can't write anything else either, no matter how hard I try.

I've got the worst case of writer's block I have ever had. It's been going for nearly a fortnight. And that's worse than not making the shortlist... :cry:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby michelanCello » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

Don't be too hard on yourself, Q... maybe you just need some time off and inspiration. Why not go on a long walk or do something totally different? Maybe you'll experience something that gives you new ideas to your story....
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Quatermass » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:59 am

michelanCello wrote:Don't be too hard on yourself, Q... maybe you just need some time off and inspiration. Why not go on a long walk or do something totally different? Maybe you'll experience something that gives you new ideas to your story....

I'm an Aspie. I don't do 'different'. Besides, I walked for a long time today. And I don't react well to being unable to write.

Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

raisindot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote: then I'll self publish on somewhere that offers an ISBN package so it can go on Amazon.

You don't need an ISBN package to self-publish on Amazon. Trust me, I've scoped this out thoroughly.

Yeah I know but (if I'm going down the self-publish road) I'm going to use an on-demand publisher (Lulu.com) who offer a range of services with templates for print and e-books, so people like me who have desktop publishing apps can in theory get a book in hard/paperback with ISBN online for free with a number of online retailers - they do other services too so people who don't use InDesign or Quark can get a publishing package on a tight budget ;)

Q - we've had long convos about blocks. ;) Just read more when the words won't come - also try to broaden your genres as well, after all Terry's always getting ideas for all kinds of storylines that aren't necessarily SF or fantasy-oriented, such as Victorian sewage engineering :lol: I know you like the research side of things too and that's all part of the process and may give you ideas that you may not have considered before - also something that will help you with submitting to agents or publishers is to write synopses of varying lengths which can help sometimes when you're trying to get a capsule outline together for story ideas. That way you're writing about what you want to write about but not actually writing it, if you see what I mean... :shifty:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Q - we've had long convos about blocks. ;) Just read more when the words won't come - also try to broaden your genres as well, after all Terry's always getting ideas for all kinds of storylines that aren't necessarily SF or fantasy-oriented, such as Victorian sewage engineering :lol: I know you like the research side of things too and that's all part of the process and may give you ideas that you may not have considered before - also something that will help you with submitting to agents or publishers is to write synopses of varying lengths which can help sometimes when you're trying to get a capsule outline together for story ideas. That way you're writing about what you want to write about but not actually writing it, if you see what I mean... :shifty:

I read an entire book on the history of Cadbury's and other chocolate firms yesterday. I think that's more than enough genre broadening. :roll:

And most of the time, I write synopses in my head. I do sometimes type them up if I really need to get them straight in my head, but that's only on occasion.

"Convos"? You're turning Australian. I dunno whether to be pleased or scared. :?

Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett