American cover on ebook version of Unseen Academicals :-(

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Here you go Susanne. :wink:

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Hmmm. Not particularly crazy about that one either. :? That's not at all how I pictured Nutt. But then, I'm still reading so maybe a better description comes later?
Catch-up

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 pm

B.B.Shrooms wrote:As for the luggage If you go back to the book, the wizards did experiment with having her play soccer.

Her!? :shock:
Is the luggage female? Since when? How did I miss that?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:07 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
B.B.Shrooms wrote:As for the luggage If you go back to the book, the wizards did experiment with having her play soccer.

Her!? :shock:
Is the luggage female? Since when? How did I miss that?
Is it male? I'm not sure I've ever heard of it described as 'he'. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:10 pm

In Interesting Times, when the luggage finally shows up, Rincewind sees it is accompanied by another larger luggage with "daintier feet, more colorful, with gems and such and painted toenails" but he cannot be sure which is the female. In nature the Males are the prettier birds sooooo?
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 pm

In Last Continent the luggage is there but not its kids. How often do mothers do a runner and leave their kids, compared to fathers?

Also UU is a male dominated institution and women used to be banned. I can't imagine the wizards would allow a female to play football.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:54 pm

The thing is, the Luggage doesn't make it into the team - it's considered too homicidal. So as it's not in the team, it shouldn't be in the team picture --- should it? :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:12 am

I thought it didn't make the team coz it wasn't good enough - too many legs. :?

Glenda and Jewels weren't in the team either.
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:41 am

I didn't really pick up on it mating, just that earlier in Interesting times it was surrounded by other luggages and then later Rincewind ran through a bunch of Sapient Pearwood trees on the way to the top of the "Hill" and toward the end there were two luggages. I am not sure they "mate" but I think they are "made" and develop relationships or hierachy of a sort.

Terry came up with the idea for the luggage while watching a large American female tourist pulling a ..."Recalcitrant" piece of luggage that was bouncing and seemed to be attempting to escape as it was jerkily following the tourist. He said he didn't see it as more than a temporary "plot gag"? I think and it, like others developed a personality and place in Discworld.

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:24 am

***WARNING INFORMATION HERE IS NOT ABOUT THE THREAD***
***Or Suitable for Young Children!!!!!!***

poohcarrot wrote:In Last Continent the luggage is there but not its kids. How often do mothers do a runner and leave their kids, compared to fathers?

Yes, some women are just not ready when it happens or willing to deal with it. In many states now there are laws that allow a woman or very, very young woman to drop a baby off at a hospital or a fire station or police department with no questions asked in order to stop infanticide here in the states. They have changed it from three days to 30 days in Illinois recently.

In my community, two months ago, there was a woman arrested for an outstanding small warrant in Kansas City MO. Now, she has been tied to a female infant wrapped in a garbage bag after being born alive and left to die in extreme below zero weather almost two years ago in a ditch . In the trunk of a car, hers, which was impounded a bit over a year ago, two more infant skeletons were found wrapped and mostly mummified. She is also the mother of an eight year old boy. There are forensic experts investigating to see if these two "probably" female infants are related to her also.

Women are no different from men in many respects, probably just as many as we do differ.

It is my belief that life is sacred. I believe that everyone can and should be allowed to live to serve a purpose. There are times when beliefs are stressed and pushed to the max.

I was not a wanted or desired child. My mother concieved me in order to "get a Man". My father never wanted children. All the publicity about these murdered female infants happened for about two weeks, every hour the news would shout out the latest information dug up about her and her family and all the theories.

Finally, someone decried it as "trying her before a trial or complete evidence" and they stopped. This was about two months ago, when I started to have my meltdowns. It is all tied together with why I am having issues right now. An icky take in this thread, but hey that's life and death.

***WARNING INFORMATION HERE IS NOT ABOUT THE THREAD***
***Or Suitable for Young Children!!!!!!***
Last edited by Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:30 am

poohcarrot wrote:I thought it didn't make the team coz it wasn't good enough - too many legs. :?
:lol: You could be right! I've forgotten already.
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 am

Aargh, Your wife is a big Hippo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or More Boiling Oil Please!!!!! Interesting Times.

I keep trying to add lines to keep children or sensitive people from inadvertently seeing my post, but it won't let me.

So There.

Now there are more spaces.

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:23 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
I keep trying to add lines to keep children or sensitive people from inadvertently seeing my post, but it won't let me.

I'm a very sensitive person. :oops:

The most shocking thing about your post was that you can leave a baby at a fire station or police station! :shock:

I would mention something about abortion, but won't, because I'd probably be accused of US bashing, again. :twisted:
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:44 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:

I'm a very sensitive person. :oops:

The most shocking thing about your post was that you can leave a baby at a fire station or police station! :shock:

I would mention something about abortion, but won't, because I'd probably be accused of US bashing, again. :twisted:

It is a new thing. They are called "Safe Havens", they have a sign on the entryway to show that they are willing to save babies, and a button at the entrance. No cameras, no crime, just safe children. There a lots of anti-abortion groups who convince young women not to have abortions.

My opinion is "If you Can't trust me with a Choice, How can you trust me with a Child?". There are lots of girls who listen and then have no clue what to do when they wind up with a child.

There have been dead babies found in every state of the U.S. for as long as I have been alive. One happened about 11 years ago and would have been averted if Safe Havens had been around. A 15 year old kept her pregnancy hidden and she and her boyfriend had put the baby on a neighbor's back doorstep. They always got the paper first thing every morning. Unfortunately, the couple had left on vacation the night the birth happened, so that baby froze to death, it was in Poplar Grove IL, a very small town. The boyfriend came out about 4 years ago with the information. The girl became the "poster girl" for Safe Havens after she got out of prison.

Postby Dotsie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:30 am

Bringing this back to a slightly lighter note, maybe the luggage's little vanity cases grew up to be suitcases, so no running off occurred. And I'm not really sure if male/female applies to the luggage anyway (although my suitcase is definitely a girl :D she's got butterflies on her)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels