Feegle pets?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Feegle pets?

Postby Tiffany » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
raisindot wrote:Wow. I wonder if this is unique to European robins.

We gets tons of them up here starting around April and we'll often get four or more wandering around the back yard looking for worms. I've never seen any of them fight with each other or attack anything else. Cardinals I've seen scaring away smaller birds at the feeder. I've seen swallows and crows attacking hawks. Blue jays will attack people if you get close enough. But robins? Not a one!

This is a subject of great amusement between Sharlene and me as an American Robin and a European one are like totally different birds. I call the American ones red-breasted blackbirds and Sharlene insists (with tongue in cheek) that European robins aren't robins at all.

For a start European robins are about half the size of the American ones and the European one is a very common sight on Christmas cards, whereas over there you tend to have cardinals. :D

Magpies might good Feegle pets as well. I have seen magpies mobbing buzzards before now and once saw two magpies taking it in turn to attack a cat.

American Robins are actually members of the Thrush family (Turdus migratorius). Where as the European Robin is related to the Flycatcher family (Erithacus rubecula). The Americans got called that by early settlers simple because they had red breasts, just like our Robins. :geek: :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 pm

We had an American Robin in Grimsby a few Years ago, It was around for a few days, drew alot of Twitchers to it, till a Sparrowhawk spotted it, then goodbye American Robin..shame really :(
Alanz

Postby rorym97 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm glad that people got a laugh out of this, and that I was able to reveal the true nature of European Robins to those who weren't aware of it :)

I agree with the Skuas comments, evil little buggers they are!

Speaking of birds, it occurs to me that Feegles would probably eat birds, either by (probably less-than-successfully) disguising themselves as female birds and trying to act alluring or more likely by repeatedly catapulting a Feegle sword-first into the sky until he hits something.

I also quite like the idea of Feegles encountering a tortoise, as I own one myself (a tortoise, not a Feegle) and can quite easily see the tortoise being the Immovable Object to the Feegles' Unstoppable Force. Most likely this would result in a hiding tortoise surrounded by Feegles with concussions.
I am Megabyte, I double-cross whomever I please!
rorym97

Postby Alanz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Skuas.....vicious buggers, I've been attacked by those while at Assention Island, Feegles could tame one to ride,like the Hawk :?:
Alanz

Postby chris.ph » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 pm

got attacked in south seorgia :D ended up carrying some antlers above my head to stop them dive bombing me :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Alanz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 pm

We used Snowballs but we were near to their Nesting sites, Terns are pretty agressive as well, They do a mean Dive Bomb :D
Alanz

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:49 am

Moles could also work, they are supposed to be pretty vicious too! Apparently even displaying cannabilism at times!
Also, I have a photo of an American robin mobbing a white tailed buzzard in Central Park, that I took on holiday but can't work out how to post it :(
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 am

Square12 wrote:Moles could also work, they are supposed to be pretty vicious too! Apparently even displaying cannabilism at times!
Also, I have a photo of an American robin mobbing a white tailed buzzard in Central Park, that I took on holiday but can't work out how to post it :(

If it's on your computer, you'll need to upload it to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket. That allows you to get a link code that can be posted here. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 pm

As promised

I took it in New York's Central Park June 2011 it has had no editing. The larger bird is, I think, a red tailed buzzard.
Last edited by Square12 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Birds don't seem to have any concept of size difference. :D

Hummingbirds can be quite feisty as well. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 am

Some clearer pics of the same buzzard, again no editing:
Square12

Postby =Tamar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:49 am

Tonyblack wrote:Birds don't seem to have any concept of size difference. :D

Except for that small owl that was on YouTube, the one that would fluff itself up to try to frighten away a medium sized owl, but when faced with an even bigger owl, it flattened down its feathers, turned sideways, and even squinted its eyes so that it no longer looked like an owl at all, but more like a hawk.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:54 am

I think that's a red-tailed hawk, Square.

Like this one. :)

Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 am

Even a Feegle might have some trouble with a mantis shrimp. They seem to use similar methods.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp
=Tamar

Postby high eight » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:45 pm

rorym97 wrote:(For those of you who don't know, an Eagle Owl is a predator with wingspan of nearly six feet!)

And a bird so hard that it EATS buzzards! :shock:

As for Feegle pets, I nominate the Arctic tern.......

They have been known to draw blood by nutting potential threats, including humans....... And if they can't get you with one end, they'll happily (crappily? :D) use the other (see attached YouTube video).
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Previous

Return to Discworld novels