BBC Radio comedy

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: BBC Radio comedy

Postby SimonAtford » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yes, that's the one. It was originally done in 26 half-hour programmes. Apparently it was rereleased after Peter Jackson's version in three boxes sets. Details here.

I've got it on cassette in the 13 hour long episodes version. Dug it out of the loft along with the 1960s version of the Hobbit.

Anyway back to comedy...

Jack Remillard wrote:Another really funny episode of Cabin Pressure this week (currently available on BBC iPlayer). Benedict Cumberbatch is playing a very different role here to Sherlock Holmes. Or indeed Smaug, I assume...

The main difference is that Smaug doesn't need a plane to fly :mrgreen:
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
SimonAtford

Postby Irony » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Cabin Pressure is absolutely hilarious. The word games that the characters of Benedict Cumberbatch and Roger Allam play usually have me in stitches. The game the whole crew played in Xianzhou, the episode from the last, 4th, season, made me weep from laughter.
Irony

Postby DreadfulKata » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 am

Cabin Pressure is fantastic, way beyond the standard of most Radio 4 comedy. My other favourite is, of course, Bleak Expectations. I'm sure I can't be the only fan of that here, right?

Other (relatively) recent favourites for me were Listen Against and Bigipedia. Both have an utterly odd and silly sense of humour and a fine line in stupid puns. No one I know has ever heard of Bigipedia, but it had two series, is available as an audiobook and is just about the funniest thing to have come out of R4 since Hitchhikers' Guide if you ask me.

It starts out as a spoof of Wikipedia, but its remit gets much wider. In format its basically a sketch show, but the device of the wikiwalk means there's a stream-of-consciousness logic to how the sketches relate to each other and the sketches soon build up into a very strange world picture.

I quote from it constantly, though mostly to myself since no one else would get the reference. 'Thanks you the new government!' I find very useful, as well as 'suck on my man-teats'.
DreadfulKata

Postby Jack Remillard » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

It's never really grabbed me before, but I listened to an episode of ElvenQuest (starring Stephen Mangan), and I thought it was good fun. It was a 'The Great Escape' themed episode. They got stuck in a troll prison camp called Trollditz. :lol: The Troll language sounded suspiciously German, and a posh elf escaped on a glider. :D
Jack Remillard

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Elvenquest is really good and really silly at the same time. I love it :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:20 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Elvenquest is really good and really silly at the same time. I love it :D

Never heard of that, but I don't listen to radio very often, what station will I find it on. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby janet » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Radio 4 mostly, Dug.
BBC Radio Player is a great way of catching up and you can listen while you browse on the computer :D
Funny thing ........ I listened to the radio adaptation of the Lord of the Rings when it was broadcast. That it was 1981 surprised me as i thought it was before that in the 70s. Just remembering it took me back to the kitchen in my little terraced house in Leicester and Sunday afternoons getting to grips with the chores. Radio is the perfect accompaniment to any housework. Especially cooking or ironing (not that I do the latter these days :shock: )
Hang on....that was off-topic........sorry.
So much brilliant comedy on BBC radio. Old Harry's Game, ISIHAC, Just a Minute is like a cosy pair of slippers and is still funny, The Now Show with Punt and Dennis is topical.
A musician friend (Duke Special) recently discovered Ivor Cutler and performed 'I worn my elbows to the bone' on tour last month. I'm sure Ivor appeared regularly on radio way back but can't recall when or where.
The radio comedy which reduced me to helplessness on a regular basis though was a series Michael Bentine did in the early 80s. Driving home late one night and having to stop the car 'cause I was crying with laughter. :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:32 pm

It's great to have The Unbelievable Truth back for a new series. It's one of my two favourite deceit themed BBC comedy panel shows starring David Mitchell. :lol:

Will Self needs to come back on it though. :D He was really hilarious in a couple of episodes several years ago, but hasn't been back since.

And there needs to be another crossover with QI. :lol:
Jack Remillard

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Quatermass wrote:I have to confess, the only BBC radio comedy I have ever listened to was The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :think:

Love it.

I also have The Goon Show records I've found in op shops that I listen to regularly.

I do like radio shows but I've not listened to very many. The Warhorses of Letters & Unbelievable Truth sound good.

The only Australian radio comedy I've listened to is Dad & Dave.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Jack Remillard » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Just caught up with the first three series of Cabin Pressure, having previously only seen the fourth. Really loved the S3 finale, with Douglas
Spoiler: show
saving the day
in a particularly 'Doctorish' way. :D

Looking forward to 'Zurich', which I hope they'll get round to making. :D A Christmas special to round things off, maybe? :)
Jack Remillard

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Jack Remillard wrote:It's great to have The Unbelievable Truth back for a new series. It's one of my two favourite deceit themed BBC comedy panel shows starring David Mitchell. :lol:

Will Self needs to come back on it though. :D He was really hilarious in a couple of episodes several years ago, but hasn't been back since.

I'm listening to my recording of one of the Will Self episodes now, and agreeing with my earlier post. It reminds me a little of Peter Cook on Just A Minute. I also want Peter Cook back on Just A Minute! I realise that that's a slightly bigger ask... :lol:
Jack Remillard

Postby Jack Remillard » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:55 pm

I like it on I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue, when they make the 'that was my word' thing sound believable. :lol: Earlier in this series, it sounded fake, but in episode 5 it worked. Utterly daft, but hilarious. :D
Jack Remillard

Postby michelanCello » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Jack Remillard wrote:Just caught up with the first three series of Cabin Pressure, having previously only seen the fourth. Really loved the S3 finale, with Douglas
Spoiler: show
saving the day
in a particularly 'Doctorish' way. :D

Looking forward to 'Zurich', which I hope they'll get round to making. :D A Christmas special to round things off, maybe? :)

I've just been introduced to it, brought tears to my eyes :lol:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jack Remillard » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:07 am

It really is brilliant, isn't it? I love their word games. :lol:
Jack Remillard

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 pm

It was so funny, we were driving through the Shropshire countryside with it on the CD player and Mc was laughing so much she was crying and I was trying not to lagh too much as I was driving and the roads have some pretty sudden turns. :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre