Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby cheery_j. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:28 am

Alanz wrote:There are more people who genuinely exploit the system than poor people who have claim benefits in order to survive

Can you prove that?
cheery_j.

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:30 am

How can i prove it, i'm just surmising, But it really gets to me when these people go straight from the Dole Office to the Bookies or the Pub rather than buy Food for their families then claim poverty
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:11 am

What a load of rubbish you are speaking, Alanz. First you pull this 90% figure out of thin air, then you admit that you can't prove it. Your so-called evidence seems to be based on casual observation of a few people and hearsay.

You seem to have fallen into the way of thinking that a lot of people have in this country. The government blames all the woes of this country on benefit claimants and immigrants without actually doing anything about it, other than making miserable people into scapegoats and making them more miserable. The fact (and I do mean fact) that the suicide rate in this country is increasing every year, especially amongst males age between 30 and 44 says a lot about the misery people are in.

How many jobs has this government actually created since they got in power? Well amongst most government departments they have actually cut jobs.

Are you a doctor? I use a walking stick these days because I am very unsteady on my feet. But when I get to the shops, I use a trolley to support myself. I also get extremely exhausted after walking a very short distance. Up until I recently started to use the walking stick, I would walk around slowly and painfully. It seems to me that you expect your disabled people to LOOK disabled. Maybe I should get a wheelchair - would that make you happy?

I'm sorry but this sort of attitude really gets up my nose! I am a disabled person suffering with chronic clinical depression. I haven't been able to work for sixteen years. I used to be able to control my depression by hillwalking and joined the Ramblers. Unfortunately it was full of people like you. People who would ask me why I wasn't working and, when I said I was disabled, they would quite literally give me the once over to see if I had any arms or legs missing. There is a lot more to being disabled than how you manage to walk.

And in case you think I'm living in the lap of luxury - I'd like to see you survive on the benefits I get.

Even if , by some miracle I suddenly became better and was fit for work, who'd employ me? Someone who has suffered from a major psychiatric illness and hasn't worked for 16 years?

I'm sorry to go on like this, but I am sick to death of the "blame" culture in this country.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:18 am

Well obviously i'm on the wrong website and my opinions arent welcome so ok see ya :D
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:35 am

Oh, you're welcome to your opinions - it doesn't mean I, or anyone else, has to agree with them. I am also entitled to my opinions. That's how conversation and discussion works. We do it all the time here. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 am

Alanz wrote:Well obviously i'm on the wrong website and my opinions arent welcome so ok see ya :D

As a great man very nearly said, you may be entitled to your opinion, but your assumption that we are all entitled to it is irritating.

And now, I am just waiting for someone to say this to me...

All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Alanz wrote:Well obviously i'm on the wrong website and my opinions arent welcome so ok see ya :D

And the system works! :roll:

Some people need to stop reading stupid headlines and think and listen to what other people who have different perspectives and experiences have to say instead of hearing what they want to hear and agreeing with what they think they're saying (Alanz agreeing with Chili saying there are some benefit cheats and conveniently ignoring what he said about people who genuinely need and deserve to receive state aid).

I'm in the same boat as Tony more or less but I'm 'luckier' in that I'm now also diagnosed with COPD as well as chronic clinical depression that I'm heavily medicated for and haven't worked since 2005 after working since I was 16 without a break in employment except for 2 weeks when I got married and moved to Herts from Devon. Yes, jobs were easier to come by back then but I worked hard even though the COPD was gradually becoming more pronounced and I was often sick with respiratory problems and asthma. Since July last year I've been waiting for the hammer to fall as incapacity benefit was being axed and I only receive a smallish pension after taking early retirement. It's been awful not knowing what would happen to me and whether they'd put me back on Jobseekers, even though I stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting a job I could hold down physically, or more important mentally. Thank god my meds trank me enough to be able to go around relatively calmly and philosophically, because the last time I went through this when I had to go through constructive dismissal from my 'career' path I nearly ended up thinking it'd be better all round if I died (I'm anti-suicide normally but I was in a state where I didn't dare drive because I was so stressed I thought I'd cause an accident and was generally neglecting my own safety).

The thought of that happening again has been really debilitating, but luckily with the COPD being in the frame I'm now racking up more 'brownie points' so it made things easier for me to get an ESA assessment which means I won't get hassled by Work and Pensions into seeking employment unless I feel able to. I'm also v. 'lucky' in that we've paid off our mortgage so are mostly debt free so my income such as it is (and I was in a fairly high paid job before I had to stop working) is sufficient to keep me in relative comfort if I don't go mad and want holidays every year... :shifty: I could go on but it's pointless - I use a walking stick but have use of all my limbs so people see this fat woman and think I've eaten myself into this state when the truth is I had respiratory disease even when I weighed 8 stone and was really unstable mentally but holding down and performing really well in a civil servant's job in the Justice Ministry that ultimately contributed to several breakdowns. I'd rather have the anti-depressants and the walking stick thanks - I'm happier not working with jerks who only see what they want to see and accept everything the 'free' press feeds them :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Alanz, your opinion might be a minority here, but it's certainly shared by a HUGE segment of the American people, not all of whom live in the "Red States" of this nation.

What I always find amazing is that the many of the people who endlessly complain about welfare and food stamp and unemployment benefits recipients gaming the system don't complain at all about CEOs who make hundreds of millions of dollars a year while laying off hundreds of thousands of working people and sending millions of jobs overseas.

It seems to me that far too much of this anger is misdirected. Add up all the total cost of benefits that are given to people who shouldn't be getting them and it would probably not amount to a tenth of the value of the tax breaks given to the wealthiest people in this country.
raisindot

Postby Conforumist » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Sheesh, I go play D&D for a few hours and this what I come back to. :shock:

Some people milk the system; like the very friend which I just visited. He's as smart a person as you'll ever find, but he has not worked in about 2 years. There's no excuse for that. Other people really want to work, but they would be working for the same or less than staying off work.
..and I think people are concerned about these execs. which make tonnes of money while others are getting fired. They're just not putting all those guns to good use! ;)

Phew, (goes for a chocolate Easter Egg)
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 pm

What's even funnier when I hear people make these complaints is the fact that states get reimbursed by the companies that fired/laid off the person filing the claims. So in reality most of the money is coming from the companies, not the government. (at least in the US, i dunno how it works in other countries)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby =Tamar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 pm

raptornx01 wrote:What's even funnier when I hear people make these complaints is the fact that states get reimbursed by the companies that fired/laid off the person filing the claims. So in reality most of the money is coming from the companies, not the government. (at least in the US, I dunno how it works in other countries)

Really? That's news to me. I don't know what state you live in, but in NH, it's different. My sister worked for the NH state unemployment office for decades. In NH, unemployment isn't contributed to by the companies nor, if I recall correctly, by any paycheck deduction, it's entirely supported by the state, which is a big shock to people who move in from some other states.
=Tamar

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 pm

When I had been fired by wal-mart I had gone on unemployment and ended up having to go to court cause Wally world refused to pay the state back and said they had had legitimate reason to let me go. And thats the thing, they always fight unemployment, and thats why you never hear of them laying people off. there is always "good reason".

In my case they, i guess, had good reason. My manager at the time was an ass and I let him know that, with a few words and a succinct gesture . so it was a real Shame they waited until 3 months later when the store was facing financial problems to act on it. They might have won had they let me go right then and there instead of waiting till it was convenient.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Perhaps i was a bit fired up with my comments, I don't have a great way with words and i think sometimes my comments come out the wrong way. All i was saying Tony is my observations in my town, I have some friends that are disabled and i don't think that the state does enough for them, but as i said i also know some people who say they are disabled and it's obvious that they are exploiting the system, anyway that's me off my Soap box :D
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Alanz, I think I went off a bit too.

It's a horrible situation when you are genuinely unable to work due to disability, but are ostracised by people who assume that if you aren't working you are sponging off the state. I know there are people who are making false claims, but those people give everyone else a bad name. Especially when certain media outlets and government officials manage to outrage people by suggesting that disabled people are pretending so as to get a hand-out. It really, really makes me cross.
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm

I can see where your coming from M8 :D
Alanz

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum