Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Conforumist » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:53 am



..guess he's dirty on several levels.. :?

At least I learned a new word; "slurry" :)
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3365
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Conforumist wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:"BRIIAAAANNNSSSS! BRIIIAAAAANNNNNSSSS!"


Brians what?


Red Vs Blue reference.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby janet » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:53 pm


The notion of bookshops charging a fee to browsers cropped up in the UK a few weeks back. No one could pinpoint anyone who had actually done this and the story died within hours. The press do LOVE their little jokettes don't they?
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet
Member
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: North East England

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby janet » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Conforumist wrote:


..guess he's dirty on several levels.. :?

At least I learned a new word; "slurry" :)

Ah well, those years I spent working on a dairy farm finally give me superior knowledge :o
It's a miracle the poor sod survived that long.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet
Member
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: North East England

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:02 am

Wasn't there a couple of People that died not so long ago in a Slurry tank :?:
Alanz
Member
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby chillicamper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:36 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... government

Yeah.....I know it's the Guardian. :roll: ....but if it's true, this could possibly be the scariest thing the government has done yet.

I'm all for seeking out benefit cheats and fraudsters, but this Governments seems to be using a campaign against cheats as a backstreet way to make the poor even poorer :roll:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
User avatar
chillicamper
Member
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:15 am
Location: Hampshire UK

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 am

Yea, but most of the Poor in this country are people who just can't be bothered to find work and survive on State handouts and Soup kitchens,They are also cheating on the system, If 90% of the so called poor, got up of their arses and stopped feeling sorry for themselves and grafted a bit not only would it make themselves feel better but we would be all better off cos we wouldn't have to keep them :x
Alanz
Member
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby chillicamper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:45 am

Alanz wrote:Yea, but most of the Poor in this country are people who just can't be bothered to find work and survive on State handouts and Soup kitchens,They are also cheating on the system, If 90% of the so called poor, got up of their arses and stopped feeling sorry for themselves and grafted a bit not only would it make themselves feel better but we would be all better off cos we wouldn't have to keep them :x


I don't agree with this view. Yes, there are many people that cheat the system or that are lazy. But there are also many people that want to work but cannot do so through no fault of their own. I don't believe that 90% of people on benefits could just get up, walk out of the door, find work tomorrow and therefore stop claiming benefits!

If you become unemployed, or disabled, should you be forced to live below the breadline? To starve? To become homeless? There are as many unemployed people out there who would love to be earning money (rather than relying on the state) that there are scroungers who refuse to work. As a society should we condem everyone on benefits as scroungers? That's not the sort of society I want to be part of.

I work hard, I pay my taxes and national insurance........and I do not begrudge that some of this money goes to benefits. It doesn't mean I want to see people cheating the system, but in this day and age unemployment or illness could affect anyone at any time. If you suddenly were unable to work for whatever reason, would you refuse benefits on principle? Or would you say "I've paid in to the pot for just such an occasion and now I can at least know I can keep a roof over my head and food in my stomach until I can work, because I live in a civilised society".

The changes that the government are bringing in are in the guise of stopping benefit fraud (which is a good aim). But I believe that there is a much darker philosophy behind it and there are many charities that are also saying that these reforms will affect those that genuinely need help......and probably affect them more than the cheats, who by definition will lie and change their stories in order to play the system.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
User avatar
chillicamper
Member
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:15 am
Location: Hampshire UK

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:57 am

I do agree with you chilli, there are people who are genuinely ill and unable to work, but when you see some people carrying their walking sticks around or in wheel chairs and buggies and then go walking around the shops is a joke and it doesn't matter what they say if you look hard enough there are jobs about, but some people just can't be arsed to work because they get more money for not working i blame the handout system because with some jobs you are better off on the dole because the Government pay everything for you, which is also wrong, I have worked all my life, i was in the RN for 22 years and get a pension, if heaven forbid i was ever out of work i have been told that i will never get benefits because of my Pension which is also wrong :x
Alanz
Member
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:04 am

Not everyone that uses wheelchairs and canes need to use them constantly. :?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 am

But when you actually have seen them Walking for ages normally and even playing in the Garden with their grandkids, running around the Garden it makes you wonder :x
Alanz
Member
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby chillicamper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am

Alanz wrote:I do agree with you chilli, there are people who are genuinely ill and unable to work, but when you see some people carrying their walking sticks around or in wheel chairs and buggies and then go walking around the shops is a joke and it doesn't matter what they say if you look hard enough there are jobs about, but some people just can't be arsed to work because they get more money for not working i blame the handout system because with some jobs you are better off on the dole because the Government pay everything for you, which is also wrong, I have worked all my life, i was in the RN for 22 years and get a pension, if heaven forbid i was ever out of work i have been told that i will never get benefits because of my Pension which is also wrong :x


I agree that those cheaters that make the 'Daily Mail' headlines and those people that blatantly don't want to work should see their benefits reviewed. I also agree that a benefits sytem that actually pays more that working is no encouragement to work.

But my worry with these latest announcments is that the Government is using the emotive Daliy mail headlines as a smoke screen for large scale cuts across the benefit system that will hugely disadvantage people who are genuine claimants and who we as a society should be speaking up for.

Investing in the job centre guys and increasing resources for investigating benefit fraud would go a long way to catching the cheats. Unfortunately the Government does not invest anymore - it just cuts those departments to the bone and then tries to use fraud as an excuse for a massive benefit change that could have huge social implications for years to come.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
User avatar
chillicamper
Member
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:15 am
Location: Hampshire UK

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:36 am

I totally agree with everything that you say Chilli, I couldn't have put it better :D
Alanz
Member
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby cheery_j. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:55 am

Alanz wrote: i blame the handout system because with some jobs you are better off on the dole


Or maybe there's something wrong if you DO work and get less than what you get when you're unemployed. I don't know the exact numbers for the UK, but here in Germany people say exactly the same things about the unemployed being just lazy and I DO know that living on benefits alone is hard because the money is never enough to pay for proper food, clothing and housing.

Maybe you know someone who cheats, but I find it absolutely unacceptable that you draw the conclusion that almost all people on benefits are cheaters.
I have to deal every day with single parents or people who have lost their jobs because some of the major employers in our area have either closed down or just "restructured". Those people would LOVE to buy nice things for their children and provide the best care possible for them, but they can't afford to do so! What do you think how they feel when they can't pay for a school trip themselves, but have to hand in vouchers from the social welfare office, because they're not trusted with real money?
User avatar
cheery_j.
Member
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:11 am

There are more people who genuinely exploit the system than poor people who have claim benefits in order to survive , I know that some can't help it because of as you say there is no work, and it varies in certain areas, But when they say they can't work and there is nothing at all wrong with them it just gets to me thats all :(
Alanz
Member
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot] and 15 guests