Where in the Discworld is this tune from...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Where in the Discworld is this tune from...

Postby engineeringsimon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi,

I've written a tune that needs a title.

I plan on recording it soon (so forgive the artificial sound), but I wanted it to be about someone or something in Discworld. This is actually an aborted attempt at another idea from Discworld that didn't end up the way I was planning.

So please make some suggestions...

Preferably from books prior to "The Last Continent".

Some ideas so far:
  • Something to do with Angua, particularly when she didn't want Carrot to know about her extra bra requirements...
  • Something to do with the impossibility of a relationship between Mustrum Ridiculy and Esme Weatherwax.
  • Maybe even something about Elves.

So as many weird and wonderful suggestions as possible please!
engineeringsimon

Re: Where in the Discworld is this tune from...

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:05 am

Nice music.

Trousers of Time.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:07 am

I almost immediately got the idea of Brutha and Om plodding through the desert and that sort of stuck with me. It's very good. I like that occasional boom-boom drum beat in the back there. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 am

Tonyblack wrote:I almost immediately got the idea of Brutha and Om plodding through the desert and that sort of stuck with me. It's very good. I like that occasional boom-boom drum beat in the back there. :)

Maybe that coloured my perceptions, but I agree with it being a theme for Brutha.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby engineeringsimon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:20 am

I'm starting to think that a man and a turtle trudging across the desert might work quite well.

Initially I was thinking of a scene in Lords and Ladies where Mustrum and Esme are having a bit of a reminisce about old times. But another tune from Small Gods seems to work quite well.

More ideas anyone?
engineeringsimon

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 am

I think you'd need more of a counterpoint for Mustrum and Esme as they are both looking at a time of their lives from different points of view and perspectives. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby engineeringsimon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:21 am

Maybe I'll do one for Mustrum first, then combine it with Granny's (the first Discworld music I did!).

Now for a title...
engineeringsimon

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 am

I like that.

engineeringsimon wrote:I'm starting to think that a man and a turtle trudging across the desert might work quite well.

Now Tonyblack has suggested it, it's difficult for me to think of it as anything else. It's makes a good fit between image and mood.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 pm

It sounds medieval to me, but I like it. Perhaps call it Lady & a name, I can see women in long dresses, the men in britches & hose, elegantly dancing in a huge ballroom when I listen with eyes shut.
Sorry, I know you wanted Discworld, but this is just my opinion.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby michelanCello » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:Nice music.

Trousers of Time.

What I was thinking ;)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:10 pm

michelanCello wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:Nice music.

Trousers of Time.

What I was thinking ;)

Yeah? I like the way you think! I love the bit in Lords & Ladies where Ridcully is explaining about the trousers of time to Granny.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby engineeringsimon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:37 am

Ahhh! Now I have to find the Trousers of Time description in Lords and Ladies. I only remembered to concept from Jingo...
engineeringsimon

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:08 am

Ponder & Ridcully talk about the theory, Pg 116 ->. It could be earlier on in the book but I couldn't find it.Then he & Granny talk about it on Pg 222 ->.

It's very funny the bit where Ponder tells Ridcully in another universe he'd be married and Ridcully goes, 'He didn't invite me to the wedding. What a bastard!' :D

Good luck with the music.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 am

Terry Pratchett in Lords and Ladies wrote:“Trousers of Time,” said Ridcully. “One of you goes down one leg, one of you goes down the other. And there’s all these continuinuinuums all over the place. When I was a lad there was just one decent universe and this was it, and all you had to worry about was creatures breaking through from the Dungeon Dimensions, but at least there was this actual damn universe and you knew where you stood. Now it turns out there’s millions of the damn things. And there’s this damn cat they’ve discovered that you can put in a box and it’s dead and alive at the same time. Or something. And they all run around saying marvellous, marvellous, hooray, here comes another quantum. Ask ‘em to do a decent levitation spell and they look at you as if you’ve started to dribble. You should hear young Stibbons talk. Went on about me not inviting me to my own wedding. Me!”

From the side of the gorge a kingfisher flashed, hit the water with barely a ripple, and ricocheted away with something silver and wriggly in its beak.

“Kept going on about everything happening at the same time,” Ridcully went on morosely. “Like there’s no such thing as a choice. You just decide which leg you’re heading for. He says that we did get married, see. He says all the things that might have been have to be. So there’s thousands of me out there who never became a wizard, just like there’s thousands of you who, oh, answered letters. Hah! To them, we’re something that might have been. Now, d’you call that proper thinking for a growing lad? When I started wizarding, old ‘Tudgy’ Spold was Archchancellor, and if any young wizard’d even mentioned that sort of daft thing, he’d feel a staff across his backside. Hah!”
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby engineeringsimon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 am

I wonder if that bit was where they were on the bridge after teleporting away from the party. Interesting that was where I was thinking of. I remembered the mood, but not the trousers.
engineeringsimon

Next

Return to The Broken Drum