What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:I'm in a reading slump at the moment. Can't seem to concentrate or relax into a book. I've been reading the same book for ages, where usually it only takes a week or so to read something. I don't know what's going on, life is busy at the moment but it's always busy so that can't really be it. Whatever it is I hope it goes away.

One good thing, my daughter is reading Good Omens and I've been having great conversations with her about that.

I've just finished that one Jen, it was a good read :D
Alanz

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:I'm in a reading slump at the moment. Can't seem to concentrate or relax into a book. I've been reading the same book for ages, where usually it only takes a week or so to read something. I don't know what's going on, life is busy at the moment but it's always busy so that can't really be it. Whatever it is I hope it goes away.

One good thing, my daughter is reading Good Omens and I've been having great conversations with her about that.

That's when it's handy to listen to an audio book, just switch it on and work away or whatever else you are doing.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm a bit peeved off i'm in the middle of Moving Pictures and i've forgotten it luckily i've got The Long earth on my Kindle so i can read that again :D
Alanz

Postby raisindot » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Just finished Dave Barry's Insane City. Even the most rabid fan of Barry;s nonfiction (which I am) might find it hard to like this one. It's essentially the plot of "The Hangover" and every 'mishap groom' movie rolled into one.
raisindot

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:That's when it's handy to listen to an audio book, just switch it on and work away or whatever else you are doing.

I've been listening to the DW novels Tony's been posting on the tv & movie thread.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Catch-up » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Reading 1356 by Bernard Cornwell. About 1/3 way through and really enjoying it!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Catch-up wrote:Reading 1356 by Bernard Cornwell. About 1/3 way through and really enjoying it!

I really enjoyed that one - so did Sharlene. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Wasn't sure what to expect. I loved The Gallows Thief, but had trouble getting through another one. I think it was called The Winter King? This one hooked me right away (no pun intended :shifty: ). He really has a way of bringing it all to life!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm

The character of Thomas of Hookton in the book, is the main character in a trilogy set earlier in the 100 Years War. That series is The Grail Quest trilogy.

I'm sorry you didn't manage to get through The Winter King as that's my favourite series by Cornwell. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am

Maybe I'll try again after reading this one. Now that I think about it, I might have finished that first book. I certainly remember the battle scenes.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am

He does write a good battle. :) I think his best one as far as battles goes, is Agincourt (Azincourt in the UK).
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am

I had to go back about thirty pages in Moving Pictures as when i'm off i only read at Night, so it's easy to lose track....... :?
Alanz

Postby Jinx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 am

One of the things I miss in my long time away from these forums is getting an idea for what to read next. I'm currently struggling through A Feast of for Crows. Tried reading them all back-to-back, but I think I should've stopped for a change of scene.
I jumped on the bandwagon after getting caught up in the series.

Every time I'm on here I see Tony singing Bernard Cromwell's praises, yet I've never got round to reading any myself. Any recommendations for a starter book, Mr B?
Jinx

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am

I've got Lee Goldberg in the bedroom and James Patterson in the bathroom. ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Jinx wrote:
Every time I'm on here I see Tony singing Bernard Cromwell's praises, yet I've never got round to reading any myself. Any recommendations for a starter book, Mr B?

:lol: Oh yes!

I'd go for The Winter King, the first of the trilogy about Arthur. It's a believable and very compelling story set in the Dark Ages of Britain after the Romans and while the Saxons are taking over much of what is now England.

But for a bit of lighter reading (that doesn't mean the books are any less compelling) you might read one of the Sharpe books. Sharpe's Rifles is probably the best place to start.

Unfortunately, the website dedicated to Bernard's writing that I used to admin, has gone offline, as I had all sorts of guides and reviews there. :(
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books