Should Everyone Get Paid Berevement Leave?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Should Everyone Get Paid Berevement Leave?

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:51 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21841950

Some of those stories are shocking.

My place were fabulous when dad died - take as much time as you need.

I was off for 3 weeks, but could have taken longer. However, I realised that the longer I stayed down with Mum, the more difficult it would be for her when I did eventually leave.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Should Everyone Get Paid Berevement Leave?

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Those stories are depressing. Bereavement will affect each individual differently, and businesses should have the sense to offer flexibility.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 pm

KnightOfFewWords wrote:Those stories are depressing. Bereavement will affect each individual differently, and businesses should have the sense to offer flexibility.

Completely agree.

However, I think like maternity and paternity leave, there should be a limit to the amount of time that is paid. Whilst large corporations can afford to keep paying, small businesses can not. They can not dismiss the individual for taking too much time yet it harms them to keep a job open that someone else could do.

Its a minefield that has no definite answer.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Yes, it's not a simple issue.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm

The other issue for small companies like mine is that I have to employ somebody else to cover the person missing so am paying twice as much for staff which under current economic times could easily put me out of business if it went on for more than a couple of weeks, I only employ 1 fulltime staff member so it doubles my costs. Maternity leave would kill my shop, there simply isn't the money there at the moment to pay it and employ cover for that length of time.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 pm

One insensitive area manager of a company that I used to work for demanded to see a death certificate from one of the staff before he would even consider giving her time off after her father had died. :evil: . (She didn't even have a poor attendance record, he was just a ********** to work for.)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:18 pm

I know someone whose dad died on a friday afternoon, so she left work at 3pm and took the allowed week off. HR rang her midweek to find out if she wanted to take the full week, and in her next pay slip they'd docked her 2 hours pay, for leaving early on the friday :evil:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Almost forgot, in my first job I took one day off for my grandad's funeral, and when my boss decided he wanted the same day off he asked me "I don't suppose you'd come back to work in the afternoon?". No. I wouldn't.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Batty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 pm

I think everyone should be allowed the time off to attend a family funeral.
If the company values its employees, then as much time as the company can spare should be given, with a maximum limit of 10 days.

What annoys me, is that some companies allow time off for parents, but not step-parents, when you can have a greater emotional bond with a step-parent than a biological one.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Antiq » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm

I can see both sides. The grief of bereavement varies a lot, from completely devastating to an acceptable sadness. I grieved far less when my father died than when my mother died, for instance. The reasons for that are complex and even I probably couldn't explain them, that's just the way it was. It also depends on the manner of death, some are more traumatic than others.
How does a company measure grief? How do they separate the real grief from someone merely perhaps taking advantage? There has to be some parameters. Some people would appreciate getting back to work as a distraction and returning to the comfort of routine. I think it's a really grey area and I can understand a company not being too happy to pay for a lot of time off. Mind you, I think 3 days is probably too little in many cases. Bereavement can be extremely debilitating, but if it is, I think people need see a doctor or counselor and take sick leave, and yes, employers do need to be as supportive as possible. Some of those cases in the link are plain wrong.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:28 am

Should try wal-mart. we would get 3 days paid leave. thats it. and it only covered immediate family. when my uncle died they wouldn't cover it, and even counted the absence as unexcused.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Return to The Broken Drum