football cards?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

football cards?

Postby MentalMoggs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 pm

I heard a whisper a while back about them making football cards to accompany the new book (like they did with going postal and the stamps). Just wondering if anyone knows anything more really.

Thanks for your help :D
MentalMoggs

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi MentalMoggs and welcome to the site. That's the plan and as far as I know it's still going ahead - probably going to happen at the launch of the book (Unseen Academicals) next month. :D

There's some more talk about it at the Cunning Artificer's site HERE.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Oh man, I just scanned through Paul Kidby's site. What the hell?! Why does the UK get awesome hand-painted covers and we get covers that look like an art-school dropout threw something together the night before it was due? I used to think that the U.S. covers were kind of playful, but not after seeing Paul's stuff.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Bickaxe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:18 pm

I've had a sneaky look at some of the cards (very nice) and I think they are part of Waterstone's promotion of the book.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby kakaze » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:01 pm

MattK wrote:Oh man, I just scanned through Paul Kidby's site. What the hell?! Why does the UK get awesome hand-painted covers and we get covers that look like an art-school dropout threw something together the night before it was due? I used to think that the U.S. covers were kind of playful, but not after seeing Paul's stuff.

I asked them about that at the convention. It was done because it makes the books sell better in America.
kakaze

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 am

Aargh, Marketing.... Capitalist Society... Aargh *runs and hides*
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby kakaze » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 am

if letting the marketing people muck up the US covers means that we finally get to have a US convention and I get to meet Mr. Pratchett, I'm ok with that.
kakaze

Hi!

Postby theboywiththethankyoucard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:28 am

I've got all 20 football cards, and the album. They're really good, especially with a tobacco tin case.
theboywiththethankyoucardandthankyoupostfrompoohcarrotonthetransworldterrypratchettforum
theboywiththethankyoucard

Re: Hi!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 am

theboywiththethankyoucard wrote:I've got all 20 football cards, and the album. They're really good, especially with a tobacco tin case.
did you get the extra ones for the back page. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:21 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
theboywiththethankyoucard wrote:I've got all 20 football cards, and the album. They're really good, especially with a tobacco tin case.

Is that true? or are you just screwing with him? Aargh, I want them too... * :cry: *

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 am

I'm going to sound really cynical here, & perhaps I am, but I would never collect this sort of thing because it seems like just another way of screwing even more money out of the fans. I like the books, because they are brilliant & make me laugh. My pleasure is in no way enhanced by these extras. :evil:

If I'd thought about it at the time though, I would have liked some teeth, because a) they were free (I think), and b) they were a genuine prop.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Dotsie wrote:If I'd thought about it at the time though, I would have liked some teeth, because a) they were free (I think), and b) they were a genuine prop.

LOL :lol:

Postby kakaze » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Dotsie wrote:I'm going to sound really cynical here, & perhaps I am, but I would never collect this sort of thing because it seems like just another way of screwing even more money out of the fans. I like the books, because they are brilliant & make me laugh. My pleasure is in no way enhanced by these extras. :evil:

If I'd thought about it at the time though, I would have liked some teeth, because a) they were free (I think), and b) they were a genuine prop.

I'd like some teeth too; you never know when you'll need a new one!
kakaze

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:

Is that true? or are you just screwing with him? Aargh, I want them too... * :cry: *
Tina the extra ones with the Waterstones copy is 4 cards and two extra of Bernard and Paul in the total package from the shop.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:56 pm

If they'd let me do the cards, they could have made an absolute fortune (all money to Alzheimers), possibly even bigger than the stamps. They still could for the release of the paperback, but they won't. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Next

Return to Latest books