football cards?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

football cards?

Postby MentalMoggs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 pm

I heard a whisper a while back about them making football cards to accompany the new book (like they did with going postal and the stamps). Just wondering if anyone knows anything more really.

Thanks for your help :D
MentalMoggs
New member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi MentalMoggs and welcome to the site. That's the plan and as far as I know it's still going ahead - probably going to happen at the launch of the book (Unseen Academicals) next month. :D

There's some more talk about it at the Cunning Artificer's site HERE.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28701
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby MattK » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Oh man, I just scanned through Paul Kidby's site. What the hell?! Why does the UK get awesome hand-painted covers and we get covers that look like an art-school dropout threw something together the night before it was due? I used to think that the U.S. covers were kind of playful, but not after seeing Paul's stuff.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK
Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:27 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA

Postby Bickaxe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:18 pm

I've had a sneaky look at some of the cards (very nice) and I think they are part of Waterstone's promotion of the book.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
User avatar
Bickaxe
Member
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Newport

Postby kakaze » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:01 pm

MattK wrote:Oh man, I just scanned through Paul Kidby's site. What the hell?! Why does the UK get awesome hand-painted covers and we get covers that look like an art-school dropout threw something together the night before it was due? I used to think that the U.S. covers were kind of playful, but not after seeing Paul's stuff.


I asked them about that at the convention. It was done because it makes the books sell better in America.
kakaze
Member
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 am

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 am

Aargh, Marketing.... Capitalist Society... Aargh *runs and hides*
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby kakaze » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 am

if letting the marketing people muck up the US covers means that we finally get to have a US convention and I get to meet Mr. Pratchett, I'm ok with that.
kakaze
Member
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 am

Hi!

Postby theboywiththethankyoucard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:28 am

I've got all 20 football cards, and the album. They're really good, especially with a tobacco tin case.
theboywiththethankyoucardandthankyoupostfrompoohcarrotonthetransworldterrypratchettforum
theboywiththethankyoucard
New member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Shamlegger Street, Ankh Morpork

Re: Hi!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 am

theboywiththethankyoucard wrote:I've got all 20 football cards, and the album. They're really good, especially with a tobacco tin case.
did you get the extra ones for the back page. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14559
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Re: Hi!

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:21 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
theboywiththethankyoucard wrote:I've got all 20 football cards, and the album. They're really good, especially with a tobacco tin case.
did you get the extra ones for the back page. :)


Is that true? or are you just screwing with him? Aargh, I want them too... * :cry: *
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 am

I'm going to sound really cynical here, & perhaps I am, but I would never collect this sort of thing because it seems like just another way of screwing even more money out of the fans. I like the books, because they are brilliant & make me laugh. My pleasure is in no way enhanced by these extras. :evil:

If I'd thought about it at the time though, I would have liked some teeth, because a) they were free (I think), and b) they were a genuine prop.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Dotsie wrote:If I'd thought about it at the time though, I would have liked some teeth, because a) they were free (I think), and b) they were a genuine prop.


LOL :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby kakaze » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Dotsie wrote:I'm going to sound really cynical here, & perhaps I am, but I would never collect this sort of thing because it seems like just another way of screwing even more money out of the fans. I like the books, because they are brilliant & make me laugh. My pleasure is in no way enhanced by these extras. :evil:

If I'd thought about it at the time though, I would have liked some teeth, because a) they were free (I think), and b) they were a genuine prop.


I'd like some teeth too; you never know when you'll need a new one!
kakaze
Member
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 am

Re: Hi!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:
theboywiththethankyoucard wrote:I've got all 20 football cards, and the album. They're really good, especially with a tobacco tin case.
did you get the extra ones for the back page. :)


Is that true? or are you just screwing with him? Aargh, I want them too... * :cry: *
Tina the extra ones with the Waterstones copy is 4 cards and two extra of Bernard and Paul in the total package from the shop.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14559
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:56 pm

If they'd let me do the cards, they could have made an absolute fortune (all money to Alzheimers), possibly even bigger than the stamps. They still could for the release of the paperback, but they won't. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Next

Return to Latest books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests