A Name Fit for a Pope

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: A Name Fit for a Pope

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:31 pm

I see that the Argentinian President has asked the new Pope to stick his oar in about The Falklands, I wondered how long it would take :x
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 pm

There seems to be more to it than that. Apparently the president and the new pope have been enemies, so it looks like she may have been trying to embarrass him. He has opposed her on all sorts of issues - including gay marriage and contraception.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Oh right i just noticed it in the paper and it said that she asked to use his influence regarding sovereignty of the Falklands :D
Alanz

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Alanz wrote:I see that the Argentinian President has asked the new Pope to stick his oar in about The Falklands, I wondered how long it would take :x

I found this snippet from the Guardian enlightening (underlining mine):

'Both Fernández and the new pope did their best to bring some warmth to a relationship that was notably frosty when he was still archbishop of Buenos Aires. She gave Francis a gourd and straw with which to prepare the traditional South American infusion, mate. He responded with a kiss.

"Never in my life has a pope kissed me," Fernández said afterwards. It was a far cry from last year when the then Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio declared that Argentina under her leadership was suffering from demagoguery, totalitarianism and corruption. She, at the time, described his attitudes as reminiscent of the middle ages and the inquisition.'

To an Argentinian PM, it seems an archbishop is an inconvenience, but a pope is an asset.

As for the Pope's views on the Falklands:

'At a mass last year to mark the 30th anniversary of the war, he said Argentina's troops had gone to the islands "to claim the country that is theirs". He described the Falklands as "usurped".'
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:58 pm

That's what she's after, She won't get it, but she won't stop trying :naughty:
Alanz

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Alanz wrote:That's what she's after, She won't get it, but she won't stop trying :naughty:

The Falklands, or a piece of pope? :lol:

I'd love to know what Fernández and the ex-Archbishop really think about the Falklands dispute. Are their words genuine, or are they merely pandering to popular opinion? The sad reality is, as Argentinian public figures they would have far more to gain than to lose by supporting claims of Argentinian sovereignty. For their PM, the dispute serves as a distraction from domestic problems. It's possible their real views are a little more nuanced. For all the jingoism, the dispute is fuelled by the potential exploitation of oil reserves off the island. In 1995, an agreement was signed governing the exploitation of resources, but Argentina withdrew from it in 2007, wanting a larger slice of the pie. After all this manoeuvring, the Falkland islanders themselves are wondering what the future will hold for them.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:01 pm

When i was down there in 1973 one of our Survey Boats had a run in with an Argie Destroyer but that's another story....I think alot of it with the President is for popularity Votes because i think they know there is no way that we would give them up, That's my opinion anyway :|
Alanz

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum